Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question on perth

Question on perth

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

bibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nice
Default Question on perth

Hi everyone
It is possible that a move to perth may be on the cards,and so hubby is off for a reccie in the next few days. I have never been before,and so dont have much of a clue where is good and where is not,(a common problem on here )
Anyway I have read some reviews on realestate.com,and have narrowed it down to a few places that look nice. Please could anyone tell me if there is anything positive or negative that they could tell about the following places.
Landsdale ,
Kingsley,
South Guildford
Booragoon
Leeming
Halls head
I have 2 children who are 7 and 10, so primary and secondary schools are important in deciding which area to live
Thank you very much for any replies
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on perth

From my perpsective you've chosen very odd places (except perhaps Kingsley).

But the key word here is "perspective" - mine will be different from yours. You did not tell us what's important to you and your family (except schools).

You need to think about where your husband (and you) will work and how he will get there (e.g. take the train, drive, or mixture of the two), and how long he is prepared to travel.

Do you want to be near the beach or not?

Do you like it hot and sticky - or not (the more you move east, away from the coast, the hotter and stickier it gets in summer and the colder in winter).

Do you like mosquitos? Then Halls Head will be fine (and other places south of the river).
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Landsdale ,
Kingsley,
South Guildford
Booragoon
Leeming
Halls head

Where is hubby going to work , if CBD Booragoon or Leeming ,both have access north /south and east /west ,the extension of the Roe Highway makes Freo really close (easy drive down South St already ).
Leeming has some older but bigger house blocks
I would try to live somewhere that doesn't require a long drive in peak hour traffic

If you like planes flying over South Guildford is ideal. (right beside the domestic airport )
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

poppyandpeanut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
From my perpsective you've chosen very odd places (except perhaps Kingsley).

But the key word here is "perspective" - mine will be different from yours. You did not tell us what's important to you and your family (except schools).

You need to think about where your husband (and you) will work and how he will get there (e.g. take the train, drive, or mixture of the two), and how long he is prepared to travel.

Do you want to be near the beach or not?

Do you like it hot and sticky - or not (the more you move east, away from the coast, the hotter and stickier it gets in summer and the colder in winter).

Do you like mosquitos? Then Halls Head will be fine (and other places south of the river).

do u like to be hot and sticky? do you like mozzies? what sort of questions are these to ask? are you being sarcastic or are you actually asking these questions to get a response?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

bibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nice

Thank you both for your replies,and feedback. Hubby is taking his assesment,with a view to join the WA police force, so not entirely sure on outcome at this point.
I really dont have any clue about these places to be honest, was just relying on the feedback from people who live in these areas, not the best way to go about things I am sure, as not sure anyone is going to say the area they live in is crap,so I am sure my research method is very flawed.
Firstly I really dont like the real humid heat, but if we move I know I will probably have to learn to suck it up.I dont mind living a little bit from the beach,but preferably not much more than 15 minutes in the car(sorry, I know that is still pretty close,but what I mean is it doesnt matter if I am not living right next to it.)
I would like just a nice area, that is relatively safe,and as you noted decent schools are an important part of the equation.
Thank you
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bibblybobbly;9257848]Hi everyone
It is possible that a move to perth may be on the cards,and so hubby is off for a reccie in the next few days. I have never been before,and so dont have much of a clue where is good and where is not,(a common problem on here )
Anyway I have read some reviews on realestate.com,and have narrowed it down to a few places that look nice. Please could anyone tell me if there is anything positive or negative that they could tell about the following places.

Landsdale - I used to know a couple of mums who lived there, they loved it. Transport is the key issue: I don't enjoy driving along Alexander Drive (to head south towards city) or Gnangara Road (towards Joondalup) - too many trucks. If I remember rightly the speed limit goes up to 90kph (if obeyed. You have to use one of these roads to get out, although you can cut across to Wanneroo Road along Kingsway, which has a larger shopping centre.

On NE edge of Perth, close to Swan Valley, takes about 1 hr by bus/car to CBD. Has an industrial area. A few dodgy suburbs not too far away, but crime stats for Landsdale low in last 3 months. Landsdale looks pleasant enough, with a central park with pond, bit of a tendency towards McMansions, at least when I went there last.

The 2 mums were happy with the primary school, but don't know latest. High school is Ashdale Community College - very new and with IT focus http://ashdalesc.det.wa.edu.au/ - someone on BE mentioned it a few months ago. Boundaries for catchment Alexander Dr, Hepburn Ave, Wanneroo Rd, Gnangara Rd and near Ocean Reef Road.

Will post about other suburbs later.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=HelenTD;9258423]
Originally Posted by bibblybobbly
Hi everyone

Landsdale - I used to know a couple of mums who lived there, they loved it. Transport is the key issue: I don't enjoy driving along Alexander Drive (to head south towards city) or Gnangara Road (towards Joondalup) - too many trucks. If I remember rightly the speed limit goes up to 90kph (if obeyed. You have to use one of these roads to get out, although you can cut across to Wanneroo Road along Kingsway, which has a larger shopping centre.

On NE edge of Perth, close to Swan Valley, takes about 1 hr by bus/car to CBD. Has an industrial area. A few dodgy suburbs not too far away, but crime stats for Landsdale low in last 3 months. Landsdale looks pleasant enough, with a central park with pond, bit of a tendency towards McMansions, at least when I went there last.

The 2 mums were happy with the primary school, but don't know latest. High school is Ashdale Community College - very new and with IT focus http://ashdalesc.det.wa.edu.au/ - someone on BE mentioned it a few months ago. Boundaries for catchment Alexander Dr, Hepburn Ave, Wanneroo Rd, Gnangara Rd and near Ocean Reef Road.

Thank you very much for that reply, very helpful, At least I picked one that wasn't a totally donkey.. I will tell hubby to have a look around that area,
Which is generally better regarded, NOR or SOR perth,or do each have their own good /bad points. eg western sydney has a patchy reputation(NO offence meant to anyone who lives there,,some parts are probably very nice) .
Thanks !!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=HelenTD;9258423]
Hi everyone

Thank you very much for this info, I found it very interesting,and Im pleased that I found one that was'nt too much of a donkeyCan you tell me which is generally more highly regarded,Perth SOR or NOR. I am not asking that because I want to live in the "posh part" just that I know some areas have a reputation ,like western Sydney for example(I do not mean any offence to anyone who lives there, as I am sure there are some nice parts too), As hubby only has limited time there, I wanted to try and get it right .
Thank you
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for your replies,and feedback. Hubby is taking his assesment,with a view to join the WA police force, so not entirely sure on outcome at this point.
If he joins the WA police will he have to train at the police academy first? Or is he already a fully qualified police officer - but even then I would have thought he needs to do a few weeks re-training at the academy? Will he get a choice of where he is posted after training?

The police academy is in Joondalup. Depending on how many weeks/months he has to spend at the academy you may want to live somewhere not too far from there?

Joondalup itself, Tapping, Edgewater, Heathridge, Connolly, Currambine, Clarkson, Iluka, Ocean Reef are all quite close to the police academy. They are also close to the train line and within 15 minutes of the beach.

Lots of primary and secondary schools in these areas.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

I am really sorry. I thought my message had got lost, I did'nt read the bit about the needing to be checked bit, so have left 2 posts the same
DOH!!!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

perth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to all

if he is going to the police academy,then out of the ones you picked it would have to be kingsley. train station, free way access and a very good pub
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
If he joins the WA police will he have to train at the police academy first? Or is he already a fully qualified police officer - but even then I would have thought he needs to do a few weeks re-training at the academy? Will he get a choice of where he is posted after training?

The police academy is in Joondalup. Depending on how many weeks/months he has to spend at the academy you may want to live somewhere not too far from there?

Joondalup itself, Tapping, Edgewater, Heathridge, Connolly, Currambine, Clarkson, Iluka, Ocean Reef are all quite close to the police academy. They are also close to the train line and within 15 minutes of the beach.

Lots of primary and secondary schools in these areas.

Hi,and Thank you for that,, No he is not currently a police officer,if he gets in,and feels it is a job that he would be very happy to do until retirement then he would have to go to the police academy.I have no clue what happens if/when he finishes the academy with a view to where we would move to,as in I dont know if he would be given a choice of 5 places, or get told where he wil go. Life at the moment is full of "what ifs ,and then what"
Still,its all good fun !!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by perth tiger
if he is going to the police academy,then out of the ones you picked it would have to be kingsley. train station, free way access and a very good pub
. All sounds good except the pub,hard as I try , just dont like booze. Nothing religious, just dont like the taste of it, very popular on a girls night out,always get the "drive everyone home" duties!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Thank you very much HelenTD. I have replied but the mods have to check it first. Dont want you to think I was being rude!!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

perth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to all

its one of the best for dining in the area and very family friendly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.