Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question for the ladies -time to do something about the grey hairs

Question for the ladies -time to do something about the grey hairs

Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future
Default Question for the ladies -time to do something about the grey hairs

- they have arrived in the last year. I suppose the move to Oz may have had something to do with their appearance.
Don't really want to go to a hairdresser to have it coloured. Went to the shops and was a bit taken aback at the selection of hair stuff. The L'oreal creme looked like a good choice. Any recommendations?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:59 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for the ladies -time to do something about the grey hairs

Originally Posted by Pisces
- they have arrived in the last year. I suppose the move to Oz may have had something to do with their appearance.
Don't really want to go to a hairdresser to have it coloured. Went to the shops and was a bit taken aback at the selection of hair stuff. The L'oreal creme looked like a good choice. Any recommendations?
dont know much about the shop stuff but maybe try a semi first this will blend the "colourless" hairs in to your natural colour before you go permanent they can look a lot different on your hair than what they do on the box.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:58 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

I change between Henna and Nice n Easy by Loreal. Both cover the grey really well.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I have this problem, too.

Rather than cover up the whole lot (which means the grey roots are so obvious within a few weeks), I get highlights done at the hairdresser.

I can go about three months before having to have it re-done. I have a quarter-head (top and sides) using two different highlights and it costs around the $100 mark each time. The grey just disappears even though it's not specifically being coloured.

Beats the messing about with home colour every month and it's not particularly expensive.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Home hair dye works fine.
Ive been doing my hair myself since I was 15. Im very pale and freckly and my dark brown hair made me look ill or a goth! So tried and red and never looked back, suits me better.

I get it cut at hairdressers, but big salons in the UK even said I did just as good job so wasnt worth me paying them too dye it.

Loreal always do good dye, especially if you want good colour. (Im red)
Ive used their brands for years without problems. They are pretty fool proof.
Also Garnier do good one and doesnt dry hair.
Schwartzcopf is good too.

Nice and Easy ok, but only do more natural shades. I like my hair colour bright!

Oh, and check if you have lots and lots of grey. Some hair dye will not cover.

** Only thing if you do blonde hair, dont dye too regular or you can dry your hair out and end up like a scarecrow.

Gems
PS, the sun here can fade your colour quicker here. So wear a hat at the beach. Also you can do a wash in wash out one in between to maintain bright colours without drying.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future

Thank's very much. Will give it a go and once have a bit of money spare will try the highlights
Old Nov 14th 2008, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Been doing mine for ever too, have had it done at the hairdressers but never quite right for me so do it myself also keeps in better condition.

Use Nice N Easy and it covers grey.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Lush Henna everytime... no nasty chemicals no so risk of PPD reaction.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

I got told off at the hairdressers for pulling mine out, apparently a pulled out grey hair will then regrow back curly and then the dye won't take on it, scared me enough to stop doing it, (could just be a ploy to keep me going back though), my hair is dark brown so they were showing through after 4 weeks so had some red highlights added and they now don't look so bad but still every 6 weeks getting my roots done.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

I've gone down the highlighting route. Rather than put an all over colour on my hair. This way I'm not hiding but blending in. Sooner or later I'll be more grey than brown/blonde so I'm trying to go old gracefully (or in my case, disgracefully). The only problem is when I was it the grey still pings up and the rest lies down

M
Old Nov 14th 2008, 10:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I started going grey when I was 25 - not impressed. Have had it done at the hairdressers a few times but they don't do it any better than I do so I'm not prepared to pay the money, especially as my hair grows so quickly. I use L'Oreal Expert Colour with the highlight pack - do the highlights just as well as hairdressers as well - just takes practice. Between dyes I use the Root Touch Up kits (I think they're by Nice & Easy).
Old Nov 14th 2008, 9:00 pm
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I started going grey when I was 25 - not impressed.
Pft. Try going grey at 16.

I use Naturtint, to avoid mucking up my hair too much. organic, natural colours. Makes the hair quite soft.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by roamer25
Pft. Try going grey at 16.

I use Naturtint, to avoid mucking up my hair too much. organic, natural colours. Makes the hair quite soft.

I was 14 so ner My mum started going grey at 21 and my poor little girl (age 5) already has a couple of grey/white hairs

I used to dye my (brown) hair different shades of red and back in the UK my favourite make was Herbal Essences. Wasn't able to find it when we moved here so used Nice N Easy but in a "medium brown" colour as I was fed up of the red/orange tinge.

I have to dye my hair every 3-4 weeks, but I think that's because my hair is growing a lot faster over here.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

Originally Posted by TillyG
I was 14 so ner My mum started going grey at 21 and my poor little girl (age 5) already has a couple of grey/white hairs

I used to dye my (brown) hair different shades of red and back in the UK my favourite make was Herbal Essences. Wasn't able to find it when we moved here so used Nice N Easy but in a "medium brown" colour as I was fed up of the red/orange tinge.

I have to dye my hair every 3-4 weeks, but I think that's because my hair is growing a lot faster over here.
14!!!! i thought i was bad at 28!
just dyed my hair yesterday again as the grey was shining a bit to much! ( i use the one advertised by Davina mccall , and why is it the grey hairs always "ping" up?
Old Nov 15th 2008, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by macy
I got told off at the hairdressers for pulling mine out, apparently a pulled out grey hair will then regrow back curly and then the dye won't take on it, scared me enough to stop doing it, (could just be a ploy to keep me going back though), my hair is dark brown so they were showing through after 4 weeks so had some red highlights added and they now don't look so bad but still every 6 weeks getting my roots done.
oh s**t, seriously hope thats not true!!!! Started to find several grey hairs in the last month or so, so just pulled them out thinking that old wives tail about them growing back threefold was just that....an old wives tail!!!! Growing back curly would be a nightmare

Have been getting my hair dyed at the hairdressers for some time anyway as trying to cover over the highlights I used to get in the UK for years, as I thought they would be too hard to maintain here and to be honest the sun and water are killing my hair anyway, so can only imagine what highlights would do to it!!!

Will give some of the home kits recommended a try though, always been too scared to try it since the last time I used one in the UK about 5 years ago and my partner very nicely told me I looked like a witch as it came out very very dark!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.