Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A question for the chippies (cresta57)

A question for the chippies (cresta57)

Old Apr 14th 2006, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute
Default A question for the chippies (cresta57)

ive read the posts on 110v tools and will be ebayen instead of taken
how about my generater is it worth bring that i mostly work on new build?
the other thing is ive got used to having a citb apprentice with me
they ease the work load and i get satifaction out of giving these young lads a chance of a good start in life ive trained 5 so far
will i be able to continue this in oz?
the old nitty gritty
what kind of money does a good chipie make?
is it mostly price work like im on now here in bedfordshire
or daywork?
im not going for the money its the lifestyle change that im after never the less in intested to know if we will be comtable

Rod
Old Apr 14th 2006, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

angela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A question for the chippies (cresta57)

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
they ease the work load and i get satifaction out of giving these young lads a chance of a good start in life ive trained 5 so far
the old nitty gritty
or daywork?
im not going for the money its the lifestyle change that im after never the less in intested to know if we will be comtable

Rod
Is hard to get on to an aussie team as they seem to keep them australian. Once you do though, you'll be away. It's definately not what you know but who you know. You would be looking to earn anywhere between $26 and $40 per hour depending on the company. May be worth just going round the sites and talking to the supervisors and asking for a start. Can do price work or day work same as UK and seems to be better money if you're self employed.

Depending on whether you need to rent, where you'll be living etc will be an indication of whether or not you'll be comfortable but you will struggle for a little while so expect that until you get working and have proved yourself. Food shopping is about the same as the UK and rent is about $300 per week depending on area so having a few savings to fall back on help you sleep at night. Even if its just a couple of thousand dollars.

You may also need to do a builders supervisors course before they let you loose on trainees.

Hope that helps, let us know if any other questions, husband is a chipie.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angela&rob
Is hard to get on to an aussie team as they seem to keep them australian. Once you do though, you'll be away. It's definately not what you know but who you know. You would be looking to earn anywhere between $26 and $40 per hour depending on the company. May be worth just going round the sites and talking to the supervisors and asking for a start. Can do price work or day work same as UK and seems to be better money if you're self employed.

Depending on whether you need to rent, where you'll be living etc will be an indication of whether or not you'll be comfortable but you will struggle for a little while so expect that until you get working and have proved yourself. Food shopping is about the same as the UK and rent is about $300 per week depending on area so having a few savings to fall back on help you sleep at night. Even if its just a couple of thousand dollars.

You may also need to do a builders supervisors course before they let you loose on trainees.

Hope that helps, let us know if any other questions, husband is a chipie.
thanks for that i will do search for supervisors course
im sorting the work things and the wife is doing the house stuff it looks like anglesea or torquay at the moment
we will rent for a couple of months then buy with a hefty deposit
is your husband enjoying his work?
Rod
Old Apr 15th 2006, 11:19 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that i will do search for supervisors course
im sorting the work things and the wife is doing the house stuff it looks like anglesea or torquay at the moment
we will rent for a couple of months then buy with a hefty deposit
is your husband enjoying his work?
Rod
As soon as you arrive get yourself an ABN (Australian Business Number) and work as self employed contractor - I know lots of people that have done this & have no problems getting work.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:11 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

the old nitty gritty
or daywork?

Rod
Rod,
Dependant upon which state your heading for you may require a licence to work as a chippie. You can work for someone else as a chippie if you can find that type of employment though most here are licenced subbies working for principle contractors.
To get a builders licence will take you quite a while there are some good posts about the process and there are people on the forum studying for their builders licence you'll have to do a forum search.
Re the 110v power tools they aren't used here though there was a poster recently who managed to get his tools tested and his transformer tested I don't doubt his story and he was good enough to post the name and tel number of the testing and tagging guy, again do a forum search. Your generator is probably not worthwhile shipping as the sockets are completely different and unless you plan on bringing your 110v gear you'll have no use for it. I haven't worked on a job in 2 1/2 years that hasn't had a temporary supply or a generator supplied by the principle contractor.
There are some good tool shops here I've posted about tool suppliers so back to the search facility again.
You can choose to train apprentices here but they cost you a lot of money, the system works slightly different here and you pay the company that provides and trains the apprentices, from memory "Skillbase" and "Bigga" are the main bodies training apprentices also "Cadet Training" These are all of course for QLD. Try searching google .com.au for more info on training.
Pay wise if your on the books expect to earn between $20 and $26 per hour casual more if your a subbie as you on a price the framing chippes earn a bit more than the fix out chippies on the jobs we work on as they provide the builders licence required for the house build.