Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question about when your age is assessed from.

Question about when your age is assessed from.

Old Nov 1st 2003, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

GeorgeW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about when your age is assessed from.

I'm 39 yrs 1 mth old and would assume that if I applied for a visa I'd be over 40 by the time anything came through. My question is..
At what point do the authorities assess your age?
If it is from the time you first make an application I'll be on 115 points. If not i'll be on 110 points and have to consider the investment option (which I'd be able to do)

Thank you for replying.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about when your age is assessed from.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GeorgeW
I'm 39 yrs 1 mth old and would assume that if I applied for a visa I'd be over 40 by the time anything came through. My question is..
At what point do the authorities assess your age?
If it is from the time you first make an application I'll be on 115 points. If not i'll be on 110 points and have to consider the investment option (which I'd be able to do)

Hi George
We were told that it counts from when they receive your application - so get it off quick!
Good luck,
Larissa
Old Nov 1st 2003, 12:55 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dagboys helpful answer was "Its assessed from when you were born!" LOL.

Sorry George, take no notice of me, at least Larissa knows what shes talking about
Old Nov 1st 2003, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Dagboys helpful answer was "Its assessed from when you were born!" LOL.

Sorry George, take no notice of me, at least Larissa knows what shes talking about
Thanks for the quick reply.

This whole idea of moving to Australia is gaining momentum by the day. Started of as an idle fancy but the more I look into it the better it seems.

1. Lucky enough to have bought a house in London five years ago and have built up enough equity to buy outright an ok 3 bedroom in Australia as well as have enough to survive on for a couple of years if need be.

2. Found that my qualification as a teacher is recognised in Australia and there is a similar shortage of teachers as there is in the UK. Similar system.

3. Everything I see or read about Australia makes me like it more and more.

4. I'm not as old a codger as I feared.

5. Might feel older by the end of all this though : )
Old Nov 1st 2003, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your application George - are you primary or secondary (primary myself) ? We originally thought we'd get a lovely, but cheap house, but after more research we'll be lucky to do this, unless we're prepared to go out in the sticks - but this is where most of the teaching jobs are!
Larissa
Have you applied to NOOSR yet? If not, I'd get on with it ASAP as they took about 3 months for my skills assessment, then you'll need to send everything off to DIMIA for your main assessment before you start loosing points. PM me if you'd like further details.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Larissa
Good luck with your application George - are you primary or secondary (primary myself) ? We originally thought we'd get a lovely, but cheap house, but after more research we'll be lucky to do this, unless we're prepared to go out in the sticks - but this is where most of the teaching jobs are!
Larissa
Have you applied to NOOSR yet? If not, I'd get on with it ASAP as they took about 3 months for my skills assessment, then you'll need to send everything off to DIMIA for your main assessment before you start loosing points. PM me if you'd like further details.
Been looking online at house prices and locations, and we are not actually looking to live in one of the cities but within 30-40 miles of one. After living in London where most people take around an hour to get to work, I can accept being semi in the sticks. Here is an axample of what could be bought and is within 10 miles of the city.

house example

Haven't applied to anything yet. Tentative steps have become solid steps and finding my feet. Just checked the NOOSR site. Do you apply directly to them? Didn't want to get excited until I felt I could get the 115 points. I'll check out a few sites and formulate a plan and get on with it this week.

Yes, I'm a Primary School teacher. ICT co-ordinator in a school in NE London. I take it you are/were on the South coast? Thank you for the offer of help via PM. Might just do that, but have a little work to do myself first.

Cheers.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 3:27 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi GeorgeW,

I wouldn't take to long in thinking about it, because the assessing body NOOSR has to give you there assessment before you can apply to DIMA. I know ith me, thinking about it took months, before it all came together.

Remember to get 3 copy's of everything you send to NOOSR because you have to send it to DIMMA as well. ( as well as keeping a copy safe in case it all gets lost. - happend to a frend of ine with his medical at DIMMA)

It might be time to make syre that you have everything you need for DIMA as well, to save time later on.

You could also consider front end loading it with the medical, depending on how healthy you think you are?
(Not being funny but you don't won't to spend all the money applying and then find out that there is a medical reason for the process to be halted.)

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 1st 2003, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Be aware that you have to send an awful lot of info to Noosr including a transcript of all the courses you took at University including the grades!! Also booklets on the course and proof of the amount of Teaching practice that you undertook on your course. It took me months to get this from the University.

Plus as Larissa said it takes 3 months for the skills assessment. If you are serious about going get gathering all of your info together now, it is a time consuming process!!
Old Nov 1st 2003, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by tinaj
Be aware that you have to send an awful lot of info to Noosr including a transcript of all the courses you took at University including the grades!! Also booklets on the course and proof of the amount of Teaching practice that you undertook on your course. It took me months to get this from the University.

Plus as Larissa said it takes 3 months for the skills assessment. If you are serious about going get gathering all of your info together now, it is a time consuming process!!
As you can tell, I'm a newbie at this. A lot of good tips are in this and other posts. I shall get on with it tonight/tomorrow.

As for proof of courses etc. I got an Hons Degree in Fine Art, then a years PGCE in Primary teaching. Followed by three years teaching at a school. Still have all the documentation for that. Looks like the skills assessment is the main initial step. Better get up in the loftt to get every thing out. There are tonnes of stuff out there to look at. I plan on employing an agent to assist with this and understand this can be a costly affair.

Off to watch Pop Idol
: )

George
Old Nov 1st 2003, 4:14 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi GeorgeW,

I'm glad that you have your priority's - Pop Idol

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 1st 2003, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by markeh
Hi GeorgeW,

I'm glad that you have your priority's - Pop Idol

Bye
Markeh
Being a teacher, you need all the escapism you can get.

I also think that it is important to have a good grounding in what the kids are watching as well. Helps to be empathetic.
(That's my story and i'm sticking to it!)

:lecture:
Old Nov 1st 2003, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by markeh
Hi GeorgeW,

I wouldn't take to long in thinking about it, because the assessing body NOOSR has to give you there assessment before you can apply to DIMA. I know ith me, thinking about it took months, before it all came together.

Remember to get 3 copy's of everything you send to NOOSR because you have to send it to DIMMA as well. ( as well as keeping a copy safe in case it all gets lost. - happend to a frend of ine with his medical at DIMMA)

It might be time to make syre that you have everything you need for DIMA as well, to save time later on.

You could also consider front end loading it with the medical, depending on how healthy you think you are?
(Not being funny but you don't won't to spend all the money applying and then find out that there is a medical reason for the process to be halted.)

Bye
Markeh
Good idea- but I wouldn't bother about an agent for this bit - you probably know more about your course etc. than they do!!
Old Nov 1st 2003, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Agree with Tina - it can take a while to get everything you need together, especially stuff like chasing up uni etc. One of the women I had to ask at uni was most unhelpful and insisted on making me wait ages for something! I too am primary and did a PGCE - I submitted absolutely everything I thought I'd ever need and NOOSR gave me the skills assessment straight away.

Just thought I'd copy my document checklist - it may be more than you need, but it avoids wasting time with them getting back to you, plus you'll need it for the main application.

Document checklist for teaching application – NOOSR
Copies need to be certified – 3 copies – one for NOOSR, one for DIMIA, one for keeps.

· Copy of degree certificate
· PGCE certificate
· Transcripts/book mark sheets for degree (obtainable from university if lost)
· Transcripts/book mark sheets of PGCE
· Teacher registration/ licensing certificate – shows you’re eligible to work (DfEE)
· Evidence of English language ability (ref to degree certificate)
· Evidence of employment experience (letter from HT)
· Marriage certificate (women!)
· Copy or description of course – I sent details off the web as I’d binned my PGCE handbook
· Proof that you did at least 6 weeks in school for PGCE. (letter from uni if you have no other evidence)
· Confirmation of QTS – contact GTC (www.gtce.org.uk)
· I also asked for written references from my head teachers plus job descriptions, with cover letters from the schools concerned.
· Plus some lesson observations from my PGCE, signed by the member of staff. Scores etc. of tests taken.
· The university also provided a standard letter regarding my PGCE – it stated the number of weeks, hours etc. and that the PGCE course is recognised by the Department for Ed and skills and carries QTS. Etc. My degree uni also stated that my degree was taken in English .

Hope that helps rather than confuses!
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Larissa
Agree with Tina - it can take a while to get everything you need together, especially stuff like chasing up uni etc. One of the women I had to ask at uni was most unhelpful and insisted on making me wait ages for something! I too am primary and did a PGCE - I submitted absolutely everything I thought I'd ever need and NOOSR gave me the skills assessment straight away.

Just thought I'd copy my document checklist - it may be more than you need, but it avoids wasting time with them getting back to you, plus you'll need it for the main application.

Document checklist for teaching application – NOOSR
Copies need to be certified – 3 copies – one for NOOSR, one for DIMIA, one for keeps.

· Copy of degree certificate
· PGCE certificate
· Transcripts/book mark sheets for degree (obtainable from university if lost)
· Transcripts/book mark sheets of PGCE
· Teacher registration/ licensing certificate – shows you’re eligible to work (DfEE)
· Evidence of English language ability (ref to degree certificate)
· Evidence of employment experience (letter from HT)
· Marriage certificate (women!)
· Copy or description of course – I sent details off the web as I’d binned my PGCE handbook
· Proof that you did at least 6 weeks in school for PGCE. (letter from uni if you have no other evidence)
· Confirmation of QTS – contact GTC (www.gtce.org.uk)
· I also asked for written references from my head teachers plus job descriptions, with cover letters from the schools concerned.
· Plus some lesson observations from my PGCE, signed by the member of staff. Scores etc. of tests taken.
· The university also provided a standard letter regarding my PGCE – it stated the number of weeks, hours etc. and that the PGCE course is recognised by the Department for Ed and skills and carries QTS. Etc. My degree uni also stated that my degree was taken in English .

Hope that helps rather than confuses!
Thank you for the comprehensive list above. This is a huge help. Looks like it pays to give them more than they could need to make sure there is no hold ups or problems.

Are you in Australia now are you somewhere in between?
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by GeorgeW
Thank you for the comprehensive list above. This is a huge help. Looks like it pays to give them more than they could need to make sure there is no hold ups or problems.

Are you in Australia now are you somewhere in between?
We submitted our main app in August, so it looks like we're stuck in blighty 'till next August at least. Good luck, Larissa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.