Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question about what documents to take to Oz?

Question about what documents to take to Oz?

Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:49 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Question Question about what documents to take to Oz?

Please could anyone advise on what documentation is essential and/or useful to take to Oz with you? I'm talking about things like Bank/Mortgage Statements/Proof of Savings/Utility Bills etc? We're not sure what to take and what to shred!

Rgds,

Nicky
Old Oct 10th 2006, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about what documents to take to Oz?

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Please could anyone advise on what documentation is essential and/or useful to take to Oz with you? I'm talking about things like Bank/Mortgage Statements/Proof of Savings/Utility Bills etc? We're not sure what to take and what to shred!

Rgds,

Nicky

I didn't bring anything like that at all. Just references for jobs and houses, some of the kids school work from their last year at school and lots of paperwork for the TRA.

All we needed to get a rental was a personal reference and a Australian bank statement.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

helen/andy has a spectacular aura abouthelen/andy has a spectacular aura abouthelen/andy has a spectacular aura about

Take any documentation regarding household insurance and car insurance as you're no claims discounts count if you have the relevant stuff with you.
We saved heaps bringing our stuff with us as it is transferable with RACQ.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 12:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Rgds,

Nicky
A lot of people bring all that stuff and very very few of them ever get asked for it The Aussie banks, lenders, utilities are not interested in how and when you paid bills in the UK. Bring by all means, but I wouldn't stress too much about it. Proof of NCD on car and property insurance may come in handy - we did bring that proof, mentioned it to the insurance companies and they have taken our word for it. We have a household claim going through now and still not been asked for it but it may happen.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 1:22 pm
Ocean Reef

Location: Landed in Perth July'06 & now freezing in Melbourne! Brisbane Bound soon and lovin it everyday!
luchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud of

If u were a member of the AA or RAC, bring that as u can join the RAC here ( even if u were an AA member in Uk )and get joining fee free...u mite have to go to a main office to get it though as the some of the small offices wont recognise it.

Originally Posted by moneypen20
A lot of people bring all that stuff and very very few of them ever get asked for it The Aussie banks, lenders, utilities are not interested in how and when you paid bills in the UK. Bring by all means, but I wouldn't stress too much about it. Proof of NCD on car and property insurance may come in handy - we did bring that proof, mentioned it to the insurance companies and they have taken our word for it. We have a household claim going through now and still not been asked for it but it may happen.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 3:00 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all - that's very helpful.

Nicky
Old Oct 10th 2006, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Some people have found that mortgage statements have been useful when renting a property-when you arrive you don't have any Aus credit rating, so written proof that you have previously adhered to a repayment schedule may be beneficial.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

[
Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Some people have found that mortgage statements have been useful when renting a property-when you arrive you don't have any Aus credit rating, so written proof that you have previously adhered to a repayment schedule may be beneficial.
G'day

I've heard and seen quite a lot tripe written or said about an "Aus credit rating". There really is no such thing.What we have in Aus is a Credit History and it's a very different sort of thing.

Having no credit history here is a good thing because the only things that are recorded are bad things (late payments, defaults, repossessions and the like).

When new migrants arrive, they have no credit history because they've not had time to get any bad marks for credit history here. Australian banks and other lenders of mortgages are not interested in a UK credit rating, so bringing evidence of your credit rating is of no use other than perhaps to make you feel better (perhaps frame it and hang it on the wall)

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek

BTW I am a registered Finance Broker and I know what I'm talking about.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 7:42 am
Live it not dream it!!

happy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of light

We bought loads of paperwork like bank statments,Insurance details,mortgage details. We found it helped when we rented as loads of people were after the rental we went for but because we had all the paperwork proving we were good payers we got it.

The other thing I did was photo copy all my documents like passport, marriage and birth certificates scanned them and emailed them to myself so I had a record when we got here incase anything went astray.

I did actually use them as well as I applied for my tax file number online in town and didn't have my passport on me but because I had a copy online I could look at the passport number without having to have it with me.

Dave

Rgds,

Nicky