Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question about tax on rental income on property in uk

Question about tax on rental income on property in uk

Old Apr 5th 2012, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Question about tax on rental income on property in uk

Originally Posted by OzSheila
I dont claim depn on other items as I dont claim it in UK. I claim outright deduction for replacement items and replicate in Oz ITR.
HTH
This seems to imply that you use the rules for the country the house is in as I assume that is how you treat spending on the property in the UK for tax purposes.

Because if you spent $1,000 on a new cooker for an Oz investment property you would have to dep the $1,000 cost over a number of years you could not claim it in full in the year you spent it.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Question about tax on rental income on property in uk

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
This seems to imply that you use the rules for the country the house is in as I assume that is how you treat spending on the property in the UK for tax purposes.

Because if you spent $1,000 on a new cooker for an Oz investment property you would have to dep the $1,000 cost over a number of years you could not claim it in full in the year you spent it.
I keep them same mainly for administrative purposes. Used to claim deprn many years ago in UK (when in fact we still lived there but did not live in said property).

Couple of years ago bought a new boiler (GBP000's?) and claimed outright deduction in both UK and Oz ITRs. Accountant here fully aware of facts - didn't change my figures. (Not saying they could have slipped up of course)