Reload this Page >

A question about tax please!

A question about tax please!

Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

red7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A question about tax please!

Hi all,

I am in Oz on a student visa until March 2016. I got a TFN when I started job hunting and got in a grand total of 1 days' work before the end of the financial year! I earned $120. Now the Government have sent me an email saying that as I applied for a TFN I may have to pay tax.

I've spent some time on the government website, trying to figure out if I do or I don't need to pay but still find myself unsure and thought I'd ask for any advice on here! What do you think?

Thank you.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question about tax please!

Submit your tax return and see. If your employer deducted tax you may even get a refund. It's easy to do on line
Old Jul 15th 2015, 5:40 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

If no tax was paid, you follow the ATO links to where you let them know you do not have to lodge return, but may do so in future.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 11:43 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by red7
Hi all,

I am in Oz on a student visa until March 2016. I got a TFN when I started job hunting and got in a grand total of 1 days' work before the end of the financial year! I earned $120. Now the Government have sent me an email saying that as I applied for a TFN I may have to pay tax.

I've spent some time on the government website, trying to figure out if I do or I don't need to pay but still find myself unsure and thought I'd ask for any advice on here! What do you think?

Thank you.
As you are well under the tax threshold, you will get everything back. Unfortunately, you will have to do a return for this year even though you only have done 1 days work. Register on MyGov website and do it online...this links all government services ie ATO, Centrelink etc etc.https://my.gov.au/LoginServices/main...execution=e1s1

Tax Rates for the 2014-15 Financial Year - atotaxrates.info

"Taxable income Tax on this income*
0 – $18,200 Nil
$18,201 – $37,000 19c for each $1 over $18,200
$37,001 – $80,000 $3,572 plus 32.5c for each $1 over $37,000
$80,001 – $180,000 $17,547 plus 37c for each $1 over $80,000
**$180,001 and over $54,547 plus 47c ** for each $1 over $180,000"

Last edited by The Bloke; Jul 15th 2015 at 11:47 am.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone! I'd best get to it
Old Aug 15th 2015, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Hi again,

I have (finally) found some time to do this but do I still need to do this if I was self-employed? I'm registered as a sole trader and did 1 days work at a clinic, for which I had to have my own ABN and supply them with an invoice. Do I need to lodge this??
Old Aug 15th 2015, 12:03 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again,

I have (finally) found some time to do this but do I still need to do this if I was self-employed? I'm registered as a sole trader and did 1 days work at a clinic, for which I had to have my own ABN and supply them with an invoice. Do I need to lodge this??
I don't know the tax regs for visa holders, but the following links explain the tax-free threshold for sole traders, and gives contact details for finding out how much (if any) tax you owe.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Star...e/Sole-trader/

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Paym...d-when-to-pay/
Old Aug 15th 2015, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again,

Here is an online tool you can fill in which tells you whether you need to do a tax return: https://www.ato.gov.au/Calculators-a...-a-tax-return/