Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A question about spiders & kids

A question about spiders & kids

Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:03 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default A question about spiders & kids

Neither my OH or I are afraid of spiders and will quite happily pick them up or live with them in the room etc. As a result, our kids are not particularly bothered by them either.
However, in the UK we know they are not aggressive or poisonous so there's no need to be worried.

I have just been reading up on the Sydney Funnel web spider which is both aggressive and poisonous and I'm wondering how to broach the subject with the kids. I don't want to frighten them but at the same time, they need to know that there are certain spiders that can't be touched and should probably be removed if they are in the house.
At the same time, if the spider is harmless I would like to leave it alone so it can eat flies, cockroaches etc

Do you recognise the different species of spider? Do you remove them if they are poisonous and if so, how?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:13 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question about spiders & kids

It is an important subject, our kids have been bought up with animals, most of which are considered horrible (snakes and spiders). One of my sons has a tarantula as big as his hand which he handles but I digress, they realise that all spiders are not the same so unless they can identify it they dont mess with it. In Australia our kids would pick up small Huntsman and other obviously harmless species. They knew not to touch Wolf Spiders or White Tailed Spiders and a few others that would occassionally find their way into the house.
Generally we would remove spiders from the house as it was full of Geckos which took care of the insects. There is no doubt you have to be much more careful in Australia, itsbest to use a commonsense approach, if in doubt kick it out
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

If in doubt, a big book or shoe normally does the job.. but leave the big huntsman to do their thing as they eat the nasties.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

I scream like a girl and hide until someone gets home to remove it.

Maybe buy them a book on Australian Spiders, it will show all the types and how to identify them, won't scare them if they are generally not scarrd and would be more interesting. It will show the safe ones and interesting stranr ones as well as the dangerous ones to be avoided.

In general you don't see too many anyway.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 7:51 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

My children are only 4 and 2, so they've just been told to leave spiders alone and tell a grown up when they encounter one. I do regularly get dragged off to inspect spider webs in the garden as a result. But it means they know to leave well alone, just in case, but aren't scared of them. DD found a redback at preschool yesterday and told the teacher who duly squished it. It works for us.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

My kids can recognize a redback, white tail etc. The older one can identify daddy long legs, orb weavers, wolf spiders and the like.

They know enough not to put their hands anywhere they can't see (ie. into containers, under outdoors toys not used in a while).

We do have the occasional small brown spiders in the house. I don't know what they are. Not white tails. I just call them house spiders for lack of a better term. I generally leave them alone. They tend to hide behind bookcases and dressers. That said, our son was bitten by something back in December. The doctor said it wasn't a "dangerous" spider and didn't require treatment. It also didn't bother him at all, just looked terrible. The whole huge red ring around the central bite.

All non-redbacks in the garden and garage are left alone. Redbacks get squished or spot sprayed. We don't spray the whole garden. We did that once at the rental house and found that when we killed off all the resident spiders, redbacks moved in and by the next summer, we had double the amount of redbacks. We've left them alone and most of our garden has those fat black ones, but they seem to deter the redbacks. Works for us.

Last edited by Japonica; Feb 6th 2013 at 2:36 am.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 2:33 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by canadaeh
I scream like a girl and hide until someone gets home to remove it.
Me too, and I am ashamed
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Huntsmans were dangerous?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Only to your heart.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:08 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
No, generally speaking they are 'harmless'. They have a nasty bite and are venomous but very mild.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

While training them on the art of using a vacum cleaner include spider removal.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be too concerned about Funnel Webs, either.

I've lived in Sydney for 33 years. I've never seen one ever and no-one I know has ever seen one. And I can count the number of red backs I've seen on one hand.

Dangerous spiders really don't impact daily life too much. Just tell your kids to leave all spiders alone, not to put their hands in dark places and they will be fine.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

We had a red back living on the inside of our garage door, just left it alone, never caused any bother.

Funnel webs are out there and will wander in to homes, usually when there is rain around in summer the males wander around looking for mates. We had evidence of funnel web activity at our last rental (you can see the traps and tube like webs) and our neighbors a few doors down said they had seen a few.

The males are very aggressive an will chase / come at you with front raised legs showing off their fangs.

Basically if you see one of these bastards in your house get out and call the professionals!
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

We just had our first encounter with red-backs after 8 years here. They kept appearing from the fan vent over the shower hanging on a thread in the middle of the shower. We had about 10 of them in a month - each was duly sprayed or squashed and flushed down the loo. It was getting a bit repetitive so we took the vent off and sprayed some 3 month spray up there, but they kept dropping in. Eventually my OH took the spray in the loft and sprayed from that side as well. A few legs hung in the vent for a few days, but no more live spiders.

Advice - have light coloured tiles, walls, floors so you can spot anything uninvited. We usually just remove spiders, millipedes, an odd scorpion or a lively skink using a transparent plastic box and a piece of cardboard. You get used to them. Ants are much more worrying.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 6:34 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77

The males are very aggressive an will chase / come at you with front raised legs showing off their fangs.

Basically if you see one of these bastards in your house get out and call the professionals!
This thread was going quite well until I saw this post!

Thanks everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.