Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question about Scottish police Clearance

Question about Scottish police Clearance

Old Mar 3rd 2004, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Jacko_22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about Scottish police Clearance

Hoping someone can help as I am bamboozled on this one.

Hubby applied for front end loaded spouse visa last Thursday. We received a letter yeasterday stating application received but they have requested (in their words):

'Provide original police clearance certificates, in accordance with the enclosed instructions, for the following people in the following countries:Please provide a separate police check issued by the Scottish Police authority. the police check that you have provided has been issued by New Scotland Yard in London and this is not acceptable as a police check for Scotland.'

I thought there was a national register for ALL police checks. How do we get a Scottosh police check? Anyone had this experience before?

Thanks

Mrs Jacko
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 7:53 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about Scottish police Clearance

Originally posted by Jacko_22

Hubby applied for front end loaded spouse visa last Thursday. We received a letter yeasterday stating application received but they have requested (in their words):

'Provide original police clearance certificates, in accordance with the enclosed instructions, for the following people in the following countries:Please provide a separate police check issued by the Scottish Police authority. the police check that you have provided has been issued by New Scotland Yard in London and this is not acceptable as a police check for Scotland.'

I thought there was a national register for ALL police checks. How do we get a Scottosh police check? Anyone had this experience before?

Thanks

Mrs Jacko
Yes, there's a seperate one for Scotland!
I know this because Mairi&Chris had to have one for their spouse visa application!!
Do a search for them and/or 'spouse visa berlin' and you'll find them and then can pm them.

Good luck, and if I see them on the forum I'll direct them to this thread!!

Simone
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Jacko_22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Simone82
Yes, there's a seperate one for Scotland!
I know this because Mairi&Chris had to have one for their spouse visa application!!
Do a search for them and/or 'spouse visa berlin' and you'll find them and then can pm them.

Good luck, and if I see them on the forum I'll direct them to this thread!!

Simone

Thanks Simone. Would've been nice if we knew this beforehand! Oh well. Seems they are happy with the rest of the application though as they sent all our documentation back. Only the flat to sell now.....
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 8:20 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

try this link

http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk

hope it helps
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jacko_22

Thanks

Hi Jacko,

We've just had our police checks back, yes you need 2 police checks for Scotland, one from Scotland yard and one from your regional police force, all we did was go into our local station, who checked our forms, we paid £10.00 each and they did inform us that we would recieve 2 different police checks. We received our local one within 1 week and the scotland yard check within 2 weeks. Your local police station should keep you right

Lisa
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

GengaKev is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a doodle and it only takes a fortnight compered to months from SY, ( suggests less criminals in Scotland?).
Go to your nearest main Police Station, ask for a data protection disclosure form, Pay your 14 quid,. and thats it. or so you think...

The Aussies will only accept the cert if its unopened!!!. So check your mail carefully and don't open anything from Lothian and Borders finest. I know this as we opened ours ( I wasn't sure about something that happening in 1992), and our agent told us they were in admissable.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by GengaKev
It's a doodle and it only takes a fortnight compered to months from SY, ( suggests less criminals in Scotland?).
Go to your nearest main Police Station, ask for a data protection disclosure form, Pay your 14 quid,. and thats it. or so you think...

The Aussies will only accept the cert if its unopened!!!. So check your mail carefully and don't open anything from Lothian and Borders finest. I know this as we opened ours ( I wasn't sure about something that happening in 1992), and our agent told us they were in admissable.

Is that right that you cannot open them, we opened ours. Has anyone else opened their's. I have read that you never open medicals, but first i have heard you don't open police checks.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

GengaKev is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, this is correct. Our Agent noticed it before they were sent. When I went to the Police Station to order a new set He told me they've had it before.
Still, nice guy, He let me off with the £28 for two new certs!!, and it was worth opening them just to be sure they were clear!
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 10:12 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

well i opened our police checks....and they got passed at DIMIA
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 10:19 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by biggy
well i opened our police checks....and they got passed at DIMIA
Ditto
I don't know where this idea has come from.It's a new one on me.
Ours were opened,sent and accepted.

G
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 10:23 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by floweroscotland
Is that right that you cannot open them, we opened ours. Has anyone else opened their's. I have read that you never open medicals, but first i have heard you don't open police checks.
You cannot open your medical checks. They are to be kept sealed. Police checks can be opened.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by bondipom
You cannot open your medical checks. They are to be kept sealed. Police checks can be opened.
First I had heard of this also, I just posted this question of the Australian Immigration forum and everyone agreed that they can be opened but WBB did post that he heard the Sottish Police Checks had to be unopened, don't understand why they would have different rules.

I would be grateful if anyone knows this one for sure, or if any Scots out there have opened theirs and got them accepted by immi.

Thanks

Lisa
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 10:42 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

we had this problem when we went for our interview in Berlin. Looking at the DIMIA forms about police check, it says to contact your local police station. Well, we did that (Lothian & Borders) and got sent the attached form to fill in. I filled it in and sent it back and got the PCC but Berlin queried it cos it didnt come from New Scotland Yard!!!!!!! Anyway, they did a double check and we got the visa issued so it was def the right form. We didnt hasve one from NSY and that was (eventually) no problem, although we had to explain to the guy in Berlin the different judicial system in Scotland

I think one of the problems is that OZ cant understand that one country can have 5 different police forces that are all separate from New Scotland Yard.

If this is not the right form then you need to contact your local Police (Highland, strathclyde, fife, etc, etc) but I think looking at your location (EH12) this will be the right form. You need to send it back to either [email protected] (softcopy) or drop a hardcopy into local Police Station, plus GBP10

Regarding the thing about it being unopened I dont think that's an issue cos I opened mine (wasnt sure what if it was the right thing and wanted to double check) and we had no problems with it being opened.

Took 3 day to be processed in L&B and 11 days to be sent by post to germany

Regards
Chris

PS.
Here's a copy of the email I got back from L&B when I made the original application. (Because you are in EDI I think you will have less hassle than us cos we applied from Germany)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 09 December 2003 12:34
To: Chrisxxx@xxxxxxxx
Subject: POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATES

Your letter for Subject Access was forwarded to the Data Protection Unit for reply,
PLEASE NOTE:
Police Forces within the United Kingdom DO NOT issue documents variously described as "Certificates of Good Conduct" or "Police Clearance Certificates", nor do they provide other evidence of good character. You should note, therefore, that the exercise of your rights under the Subject Access provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998, will NOT provide you with such a certificate.
I have attached applications for information held on the "Police National Computer" and the "Scottish Criminal Records Office computer", please verify with the requesting party to which system they require information from.
Identification is required to be sent when returning the completed application. If you are abroad and do not wish to send your passport or driving licence in the mail, then please arrange for them to be CERTIFIED by a solicitor or Justice of the Peace before submitting.
There is a fee of £10 (sterling) made payable to 'Lothian and Borders Police', we can only accept cash or postal order as Lothian and Borders Police is not a trading organisation.
This process may take up to 6 weeks (40 days) for response to be sent.
Regards
Paul Wallace
Data Protection Auditor
Data Protection Unit
Lothian and Borders Police
Attached Files
File Type: doc
police md7.doc (158.5 KB, 483 views)
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Hi,

we had this problem when we went for our interview in Berlin. Looking at the DIMIA forms about police check, it says to contact your local police station. Well, we did that (Lothian & Borders) and got sent the attached form to fill in. I filled it in and sent it back and got the PCC but Berlin queried it cos it didnt come from New Scotland Yard!!!!!!! Anyway, they did a double check and we got the visa issued so it was def the right form. We didnt hasve one from NSY and that was (eventually) no problem, although we had to explain to the guy in Berlin the different judicial system in Scotland

I think one of the problems is that OZ cant understand that one country can have 5 different police forces that are all separate from New Scotland Yard.

If this is not the right form then you need to contact your local Police (Highland, strathclyde, fife, etc, etc) but I think looking at your location (EH12) this will be the right form. You need to send it back to either [email protected] (softcopy) or drop a hardcopy into local Police Station, plus GBP10

Regarding the thing about it being unopened I dont think that's an issue cos I opened mine (wasnt sure what if it was the right thing and wanted to double check) and we had no problems with it being opened.

Took 3 day to be processed in L&B and 11 days to be sent by post to germany

Regards
Chris

PS.
Here's a copy of the email I got back from L&B when I made the original application. (Because you are in EDI I think you will have less hassle than us cos we applied from Germany)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 09 December 2003 12:34
To: Chrisxxx@xxxxxxxx
Subject: POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATES

Your letter for Subject Access was forwarded to the Data Protection Unit for reply,
PLEASE NOTE:
Police Forces within the United Kingdom DO NOT issue documents variously described as "Certificates of Good Conduct" or "Police Clearance Certificates", nor do they provide other evidence of good character. You should note, therefore, that the exercise of your rights under the Subject Access provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998, will NOT provide you with such a certificate.
I have attached applications for information held on the "Police National Computer" and the "Scottish Criminal Records Office computer", please verify with the requesting party to which system they require information from.
Identification is required to be sent when returning the completed application. If you are abroad and do not wish to send your passport or driving licence in the mail, then please arrange for them to be CERTIFIED by a solicitor or Justice of the Peace before submitting.
There is a fee of £10 (sterling) made payable to 'Lothian and Borders Police', we can only accept cash or postal order as Lothian and Borders Police is not a trading organisation.
This process may take up to 6 weeks (40 days) for response to be sent.
Regards
Paul Wallace
Data Protection Auditor
Data Protection Unit
Lothian and Borders Police

Chris,

Thank you for that, i was freaking there as i didn't fancy having to get my checks redone all over just because I had opened them

Lisa
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 10:51 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Well unless UK embassy has different rules from German embassy (and I can't see why they would) you will have no problems. As I said I opened mine and I got the visa -woohoo, still high as kite 4 weeks on !!!!!!!

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.