Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question about PR Visa

Question about PR Visa

Old Sep 15th 2004, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

hockeykid is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Question about PR Visa

I abit confused that why i ask this question. If granted for Visa Sub Class 136 is it consider as Australian Permanent Resident or PR Visa. Is it you need to stay in Australia for 2 years in order to be a Australian Permanent Resident.
thank you.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 9:26 pm

chris n will become famous soon enoughchris n will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Question about PR Visa

My understanding is that if the visa is granted then you have gained 'Permanent Residency' status - i.e. once you are there you have the right to stay and work for ever. The visa only lasts for five years - after which you would have to apply for another visa should you leave and want to come back into Australia. You can apply for 'Citizenship' after two years which would make it easier to come and go into Australia - i.e. you would have the right to an Australian passport.

Prepared to be shot down in flames if I'm wrong...

Chris
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question about PR Visa

Hi, Once you have the Skilled Independent BN 136 visa you are granted the right to live permanently in Aus. However, your permanent residency begins on the day you arrive in Aus. for the first time with this visa.

Don't worry, you now have permanency with the option to apply for citizenship after 2 years of permanent residency.

Last edited by Ansy; Sep 26th 2004 at 12:02 pm.