Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question about driving licence.

Question about driving licence.

Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

xgkick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about driving licence.

I'm moving out to Brisbane soon on a business visa and I'm wondering what to do about the change of address for my driving licence. I realise i'll need it over there while I get my australian one.

What do I need to tell the DVLA? Do I just give them my new Brisbane address (when I get one!) and get a new UK licence sent over or do I need to do something else?

thanks in advance
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:42 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about driving licence.

Originally Posted by xgkick
I'm moving out to Brisbane soon on a business visa and I'm wondering what to do about the change of address for my driving licence. I realise i'll need it over there while I get my australian one.

What do I need to tell the DVLA? Do I just give them my new Brisbane address (when I get one!) and get a new UK licence sent over or do I need to do something else?

thanks in advance

<<< didnt tell DVLA diddlysquat

Just sit a theory test when you arrive in Brizzy, pass it get a mugshot and away ya go
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by xgkick

thanks in advance
Do you have a friend, parent, relative etc, whose address you can use on your drivers licence? This is what I did with my aussie licence when I came over here and I plan to do the reverse when I leave here for Aus.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
<<< didnt tell DVLA diddlysquat

Just sit a theory test when you arrive in Brizzy, pass it get a mugshot and away ya go
is that all you have to do?
no handing over of a uk license, just a little question test and a pic and thats it?
sweet
it the same for bikes aswell?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:03 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pickle
no handing over of a uk license, just a little question test and a pic and thats it?
sweet

lol for about 20 bucks more you can sit the bike test too !!!!

I do recall showing them my Uk license, Its all GOOD !
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pickle
sweet
Hello
This is what the Queensland equivalent of the DVLA has to say about exchanging your British licence for a Queensland one. Remember each state is different, so these rules only apply to Queensland

I hold a foreign driver licence, how do I get a Queensland driver licenceTo get a Queensland driver licence for the same class as your foreign driver licence, you will need to:
Show your foreign driver licence and a recognised translation of the licence if it is not in the English language.
Show your supporting evidence of identity.
Show evidence of Queensland residence.

You may also be required to:
Show evidence that you are medically fit to drive safely.
Pass an eyesight test.
Pay the road rules test fee and pass the test.
Pay the practical driving test fee and pass the test.
Pay the licence fee.

This is the page reference
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...rstate_foreign

Hope this helps
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Question Re: Question about driving licence.

lol for about 20 bucks more you can sit the bike test too !!!!

I do recall showing them my Uk license, Its all GOOD !
T.F.A.
Do you know if the Ozzy theory test is available to view online anywhere?
If not is it similar to Highway Code?
Cheers
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:15 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Question about driving licence.

Originally Posted by BettyBoop
T.F.A.
Cheers
Seeing as we drive on the same side of the road, it will be virtually identical to Highway Code.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Seeing as we drive on the same side of the road, it will be virtually identical to Highway Code.
Hi

It is not too different, and once you have one state licence it is easy to exchange for another. Just remember each state has totally separate road rules and sometimes these can be a little different to each other.

For example (I know this has now changed so no posts please) but when I got my Victorian licence if you were turning left at an intersection you gave way to a person turning right. I moved to Queensland and it was the opposite. I am sure there are lots of other strange things that the individual states do, so it is still probably worth having a look at the handbooks on line.

The one for Victoria is
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...256FD300241C13

You have not said which state, so you will need to find the relevant sites.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:25 pm
Banned

T.F.A.
Cheers
Yep it is

I had it on my website www.brisbane-bound.com

Bear with me and ill find it
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:27 pm
Banned

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...etest/?llid=19
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: Question about driving licence.

Thankyou...
forearmed is forewarned and all that.
You're a wealth of knowledge..thanks again!
BB
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:43 pm
Banned

Thankyou...
forearmed is forewarned and all that.
You're a wealth of knowledge..thanks again!
BB
No Problemos Amigos < thats spanish apparently
Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hello
This is what the Queensland equivalent of the DVLA has to say about exchanging your British licence for a Queensland one. Remember each state is different, so these rules only apply to Queensland

I hold a foreign driver licence, how do I get a Queensland driver licenceTo get a Queensland driver licence for the same class as your foreign driver licence, you will need to:
Show your foreign driver licence and a recognised translation of the licence if it is not in the English language.
Show your supporting evidence of identity.
Show evidence of Queensland residence.

You may also be required to:
Show evidence that you are medically fit to drive safely.
Pass an eyesight test.
Pay the road rules test fee and pass the test.
Pay the practical driving test fee and pass the test.
Pay the licence fee.

This is the page reference
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...rstate_foreign

Hope this helps
Holders of a full UK licence are exempt from the Practical test.

Old Aug 27th 2005, 2:06 am
Banned

Bizarre will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Holders of a full UK licence are exempt from the Practical test.
So are holders of a UK provisional licence if you get lucky enough, it works like this.

you walk into the local test centre, pay for and pass the theory test.

At this point you mention that you have held a PROVISIONAL licence in the UK and produce the said licence, they look confused (as usual) and call a supervisor who also looks confused and grants you a full australian OPEN licence.

This happened to someone I know who tried and tried to pass the UK practical test but always failed on one little thing, they could drive but just could not pass the test.

When I took them down to sit the theory test we just wanted to get a learners permit so the person could start driving here and eventually take the driving test and hopefully pass but now that is all out of the way thanks to some wording issues.
The British call a learner driver a PROVISIONAL driver and the Australians call someone who has just passed the test a PROVISIONAL driver, with me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.