British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Question about the 7k First Time Home owners grant (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/question-about-7k-first-time-home-owners-grant-199432/)

TraceyW Dec 31st 2003 7:11 pm

Question about the 7k First Time Home owners grant

I've just read on Aussie move that should you build your own home in Perth the 7000 AUD grant doubles to 14K? :confused:

Is this so?

cherry6 Dec 31st 2003 9:26 pm

Not sure of the exact figures but they do give more for house builders as it costs more to build than buy an established house (not always if you are careful). Some builders do packages which include curtains/carpets etc, I think you do have to have that in order to qualify but not 100% sure.

dotty Dec 31st 2003 9:46 pm

Originally posted by cherry6
Not sure of the exact figures but they do give more for house builders as it costs more to build than buy an established house (not always if you are careful). Some builders do packages which include curtains/carpets etc, I think you do have to have that in order to qualify but not 100% sure.
Sorry but its nothing to do with the above info!

There is one sum only $7000 for building or buying established.

The grant was initially 14,000 then 10,000 now its the 7000. The 14,000 information remains on the site as people only receive the money once they have completed construction. Building times now including all the application processes would be at least a year now so some people are still owed the 14,000 which is why that info remains. Grant was brought in to offset the introduction of GST, as that was years ago! its debatable how much longer the scheme will remain.

cherry6 Dec 31st 2003 9:50 pm

Sorry if that info was wrong, I was going by what we were told by Dale Alcock builders when we asked about building 3 years ago.

dotty Dec 31st 2003 9:57 pm

Originally posted by cherry6
Sorry if that info was wrong, I was going by what we were told by Dale Alcock builders when we asked about building 3 years ago.
No problem, three years has been a very very long time in Real Estate here! Different ball game entirely:)

ABCDiamond Jan 1st 2004 2:03 am

Re: Question about the 7k First Time Home owners grant

Originally posted by TraceyW
I've just read on Aussie move that should you build your own home in Perth the 7000 AUD grant doubles to 14K? :confused:

Is this so?
Just in case you are still confused, it is ONLY $7,000 now. It used to be $14k, but it came down, as explained by Dotty.

yvsie Jan 1st 2004 2:05 am

weve just got ours!:D ...we're in Perth$7,000...dotty is right!
pretty quick at getting it too....once we sent em copies of equivelent (sp) of deeds..ie certificate of title

..but there is one thing that it says..dunno if you know....you have to live in your house for 1 yr or you have to pay it back!

TraceyW Jan 1st 2004 7:10 am

Right then, that's cleared that up! Thanks chaps.:)

sj oldfield Jan 1st 2004 4:24 pm

When you say it was quick, how quick?