Query on pets

Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Query on pets

Hi

Our cat becomes agitated and sick within 5 minutes in a car. I'm quite anxious and a bit worried how she would do on a 24 hour flight, especially changing planes. I know pepole may say a cat is a cat, however, she was a rescue cat and quite timid so I feel quite concerned.

If you have transferred a cat to Australia (especially if your cat gets car sick/travel sick) I would be interested to hear how your pet is doing now and anything you did to help them travel more comfortably. We have feliway which does help a bit, however she is still, er, ill from both ends... sorry only way to describe it! Not a nice way to travel in a cage for 24 hours if you get my drift.. we're not wishing to use any drugs if we can help it.

I'm concerned this might change her lovely personality? Has anyone experienced this?

Love to hear from you if you've been through this experience.

Thanks
OSV
Old Jul 13th 2011, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Query on pets

If your cat really does struggle that much with travel, I seriously think you should consider finding her a new home. I do not say this lightly, indeed at one time I used to get on my high horse about people that did not bring their pets, but that was before I moved my own over.

My two cats emerged unscathed in the end, but it was not a pleasant experience for us or them. Peronsality wise one of them was unchanged, the other one who had been a bit of a softie became a bit more aloof and it took a long time to get back to normal.

I would absolutely bring them with us if I had my time again, but I am now of the opinion that it is not always the right thing to for every animal.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bermuda. I understand where you are coming from. I know in my heart of hearts she will be fine, she is a rescue cat and has come up in leaps and bounds since we have had her for the two years. We actually think it would be worse for us to leave her with a new home since she is so attached and comfortable with my hubby and myself. So we're just trying to take all advice and be as prepared as we possibly can be.

Thanks for your note, I completely understand where you are coming from.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:25 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We brought 3 rescue cats from Singapore, two were hand-reared from a few days old and the third was taken in off the street at about 16 weeks.

They are very highly-strung and demanding and the noise my little girl made at being put in the shipping crate almost made me call the whole move off (and the packers were waiting outside the door so you can guess how convenient that would have been). As it was I just howled too.

Quarantine was not good for any of us but it soon passes.

Been here just over 3 years now; they're all snuggled up next to me on blankets, right as rain. Bring her. Don't drug her; use Bach Rescue Remedy in her water for a couple of weeks before you ship her.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks seasider for your honest and frank response. I will investigate bach rescue remedy, didn't realise you could use for cats. For us, using sedation drugs is not an option at all.

Seasider and Bermudashorts - which company did you use and would you recommend them?
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

If you are using a pet transportation company then there is no way that any medication would be used anyway, it is considered safer for the animals to be fully alert throughout.

I used Golden Arrow when I moved to Australia and I used Airpets when I moved to Bermuda. Golden Arrow has a more personal touch and they were lovely, but the travel crate that Airpets provided was much superior and I would opt for them on that basis. Long journey, best to have a bit more space.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Bermuda. I'll look into both. We would rather pay more for a personal and recommended service. We are in Scotland, so I'm not sure if that would mean an extra trip to London or how it works... off to investigate. We travel from Glasgow to Perth with Emirates, I take it though the companies you use decide which flight to use or does your pet go with you?
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by OneSmallVoice
Thanks Bermuda. I'll look into both. We would rather pay more for a personal and recommended service. We are in Scotland, so I'm not sure if that would mean an extra trip to London or how it works... off to investigate. We travel from Glasgow to Perth with Emirates, I take it though the companies you use decide which flight to use or does your pet go with you?
I paid for Golden Arrow to come and pick my cats up and take them back to the kennels, cost a couple of hundred quid but we left at short notice and could not spare the time driving them there ourselves. If you have time, you could drive her down a few days before?

They transportation company will book the flights, we just told them what date we wanted. We have not been on the same flight as our cats for any trip.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:31 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We came from Singapore so I can't recommend you a pet mover. I will say I found it totally worth the money to have them do everything; there was enough going on to take my attention (and patience) without having to stress about getting the kits to the airport.

Not sure I could have done it myself, anyway - I was an emotional basketcase as it was Should have taken the Rescue Remedy myself.

Ours came out a couple of days before us, as we wanted them gone before the packers came in so they didn't get stressed by that, and disappear through the open doors. We also timed it so that we got our shipping just before bringing them home, so they had familiar things around them (including toys and litter tray!). This worked for us with a much shorter journey, of course.

Yes I realise how neurotic I sound but my cats are my child substitutes
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Not neurotic at all, completely are there with you!