Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queenslanders 'less neighbourly' than residents of other states?

Queenslanders 'less neighbourly' than residents of other states?

Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Queenslanders 'less neighbourly' than residents of other states?

A survey has revealed Queenslanders are less likely to know the people next door than are residents in other states.

The annual NRMA neighbourhood poll found only 35 per cent of Queenslanders know all of their neighbours' first names.

In Brisbane, that drops to 29 per cent, compared with 41 per cent of people who are on first-name terms with their neighbours in NSW, Western Australia and South Australia.

Is this true? Do you know your neighbours? Do you want to know your neighbours?

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...-23272,00.html
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:44 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queenslanders 'less neighbourly' than residents of other states?

I live in a small townhouse complex now and we're all great friends!

However, when I lived in suburbia I didn't know any of the neighbours. The only time I met the people next door was when they came around to warn me that they'd been burgled twice in one week!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:49 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I know my neighbours on both sides - Derek and Cathy on one side and Maggie on the other. Got bugger all in common with any of 'em - but we get along fine. Maggie's an old lady and I help her out if she needs a hand (though she's probably in better shape than me) - changing the batteries in her smoke alarms etc. Derek cuts our front lawn for us, accepts post if we're not around etc, also fixed up my son's bike when he punctured the wheel and I was away on a job. Nice people.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:53 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if my neighbour to the left is from QLD? Hasn't spoken to us since we moved in 2 May, runs inside if we go out back when he's there, or if he's trimming his front hedge when we go out to our car, etc. Walks over our roof (we're one storey, he's two) without warning - not great when your bathroom has a skylight. Hasn't once complained about our cats going in his garden but continues to reinforce the dividing fence with rusty old wire. Hasn't answered the door when we've been round to try to break the ice and apologise for them, and offer to pay for the fence. Weird man.

Two sets the other way have introduced themselves but we hardly see any of our neighbours. The houses around here are all back to front, the living room overlooking the gardens, and I've wondered if that's the reason.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:54 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
A survey has revealed Queenslanders are less likely to know the people next door than are residents in other states.

The annual NRMA neighbourhood poll found only 35 per cent of Queenslanders know all of their neighbours' first names.

In Brisbane, that drops to 29 per cent, compared with 41 per cent of people who are on first-name terms with their neighbours in NSW, Western Australia and South Australia.

Is this true? Do you know your neighbours? Do you want to know your neighbours?

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...-23272,00.html
I know absolutely everyone in SE Queensland and I like about 2 of 'em.....
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:57 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hutch, good on you re. Maggie. If ever you don't see her for an extended period of time, please do be a busybody and go check her out.

We lived in a terraced house in the UK and I didn't realise for almost 24 hours that the unfriendly old battleaxe next door hadn't been out to complain about a thing. Eventually broke in and found her stuck in the bath for most of that time, naked and freezing although thankfully ok.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I know my neighbours on both sides - Derek and Cathy on one side and Maggie on the other. Got bugger all in common with any of 'em - but we get along fine. Maggie's an old lady and I help her out if she needs a hand (though she's probably in better shape than me) - changing the batteries in her smoke alarms etc. Derek cuts our front lawn for us, accepts post if we're not around etc, also fixed up my son's bike when he punctured the wheel and I was away on a job. Nice people.
Sound like perfect neighbours. All you could ask for really.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:07 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

We know all of our neighbours...

Sam & Pete next door (with whom we have snake wrangled and laughed about my general gardening incompetance vs Petes OCD gardening on many occasions)
Leigh next door (very quiet, and private but not unfriendly)
Chris & Paul over the road who's kids seem to be interchangable with ours - they're in our house, ours are in theirs all the time...

No complaints of neighbourlyness at all - and last weeks storms added more to that, I've chatted to people up and down the full length of our street now, offered to lend a hand with gardening to all sorts and generally recognised that people are pretty friendly...

By contrast I never spoke to my neighbours back when I lived in Basingstoke, Newbury, Newcastle-Under-Lyme or anywhere else in UK...
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:49 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

isnt the case here guys

there are twelve houses in our street and ive met them all on several occasions,( ive got drunk with most of them ) we have having our annual street chrissie party on the 21st and to date only one family cannot make it as they are away on holiday but they did say that on their return that they would host something soon at theirs

thats the trouble with stats and surveys they can be made so the results back your own thoughts and ideas,
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:47 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
By contrast I never spoke to my neighbours back when I lived in Basingstoke, Newbury, Newcastle-Under-Lyme or anywhere else in UK...
Mmm ... don't think it's country specific though - just the luck of the draw whichever country you live in. We lived in a small town in the Cotswolds and knew and got on very well with our neighbours there. In fact of all the folks we knew in the UK, they're one of the few we'd like to visit on a trip back.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Got great neighbours, they're as friendly as we'd want them and the ones further along are great if you meet them out in the street. I hate statistics, they mean absolutely sod all and just irritate with the generalisations.

Just had a quick squiz at that article. I see they're talking about Brisbane, not Queensland. Sounds like some of the people on these forums - can't tell the difference
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Got great neighbours, they're as friendly as we'd want them and the ones further along are great if you meet them out in the street. I hate statistics, they mean absolutely sod all and just irritate with the generalisations.

Just had a quick squiz at that article. I see they're talking about Brisbane, not Queensland. Sounds like some of the people on these forums - can't tell the difference
My next door neighbours are fantastic. They are a wonderful couple and have become surrogate grandparents to my kids, they help me with my garden - could not wish for better neighbours.

Never believe statistics until I have seen who PAID for the research and what analysis they used, how big the sample size was and if it was representative of the population!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just had a quick squiz at that article. I see they're talking about Brisbane, not Queensland.
I don't fully understand the point you're trying to make, but:

"The annual NRMA neighbourhood poll found only 35 per cent of Queenslanders know all of their neighbours' first names.

In Brisbane, that drops to 29 per cent, compared with 41 per cent of people who are on first-name terms with their neighbours in NSW, Western Australia and South Australia"
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:10 am
ABCDiamond

"The annual NRMA neighbourhood poll found only 35 per cent of Queenslanders know all of their neighbours' first names.

In Brisbane, that drops to 29 per cent, compared with 41 per cent of people who are on first-name terms with their neighbours in NSW, Western Australia and South Australia"
I filled in that Poll, and said I didn't know their first names.

But I am still friendly with them. Say hello to them when I see them etc., sometimes stop and chat for a while.

I want to change my answer !!!!

Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

So it's presumably NRMA members who actually replied to the poll. How many people were from the rest of Queensland and how many were from Brissie? It's all bollox and means nothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.