Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland to trial L plates!

Wikiposts

Queensland to trial L plates!

Old Dec 30th 2004, 3:24 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Queensland to trial L plates!

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
And don't forget the bus driver's! (God, the apostrophe's are running out again....)

It must be a trying job, driving in the maelstrom of Sydney traffic, but I now give the buses a wide berth. Speed limits appear to be purely advisory, as are lane markings. And as for tailgating........

I want to know what most of the drivers are on. I want some!
Something to note with Sydney buses, there is a big sign on the back saying giver them right of way. The bus drivers know they have right of way and they use it. Sneaking around a pulling out Sydney bus is not to be recommended and I have seen many a driver fail and nearly collide with oncoming traffic.

I find Sydney siders good at following the speed limit because not doing so is bad for the pocket. I have had one rear shunt and now slow down flahing my rear break light for tailgaters. They will flash their lights and honk their horn but that makes me slow even more.

I am eternally on the lookout for the non signalling lane changer. roundabouts baffle the hell out of many a Sydney Sider.

On Xmas day police were RBTing past Moore Park supacentre. Some idiotic ute driver pulled in front of me. Silly git got the last spot on the RBT q and I got waved through. He probably wasted 20 mins of his time with that.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 3:47 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
Something to note with Sydney buses, there is a big sign on the back saying giver them right of way. The bus drivers know they have right of way and they use it. Sneaking around a pulling out Sydney bus is not to be recommended and I have seen many a driver fail and nearly collide with oncoming traffic.

Same in Brisbane, they definitely use their right-of-way. If you don't give it to them, you'll be squashed!
Old Dec 30th 2004, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Pandanda is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ptlabs
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/licen...rovisional.asp

You can choose to do a practical test, but are not obliged to do so. It's surprising what you can find on official websites...

Peter
That bit you're talking about from the website is actually saying that you can break off from the logbook at any point to do the official "test" test. But there really is a short practical test at the end of the logbook as the final task, and it's all scored out of 100, and you have to pass it to get your licence. A certain proportion of these final tests are overseen by government officials as well as accredited instructors. It's surprising what you can find from having yourself and 20-odd friends learn to drive using the logbook process...
Old Dec 30th 2004, 6:35 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Since reading these posts I've seen today's Manly Daily, which contains a photo of two buses - one embedded in the rear of another - on Spit Bridge.

Tailgating? Moi? Non - I was at least a metre from him!
Old Dec 30th 2004, 6:53 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pandanda
That bit you're talking about from the website is actually saying that you can break off from the logbook at any point to do the official "test" test. But there really is a short practical test at the end of the logbook as the final task, and it's all scored out of 100, and you have to pass it to get your licence. A certain proportion of these final tests are overseen by government officials as well as accredited instructors. It's surprising what you can find from having yourself and 20-odd friends learn to drive using the logbook process...
I beg to differ, on paper at least.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/...pgs92_110_.pdf

Page 96 clearly states that the CBT option does not involve a practical test. And it's either VORT or CBT.

Page 100 goes on to elaborate on the CBT option, which stresses the lack of a formal examination at the end.

Someone should change the literature, or you've been had.

Peter

Last edited by ptlabs; Dec 30th 2004 at 6:57 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

I beg to differ, on paper at least.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/...pgs92_110_.pdf

Page 96 clearly states that the CBT option does not involve a practical test. And it's either VORT or CBT.

Page 100 goes on to elaborate on the CBT option, which stresses the lack of a formal examination at the end.

Someone should change the literature, or you've been had.

Peter
I haven't been "had". Neither have all my friends who have completed the logbook method. Plainly put, the last task of the logbook is a short test involving using all the methods you have learnt by driving through traffic and performing a couple of maneuvers. It's right there in the logbook! It is scored and you have to be passed by your instructor to get your licence. But it is only part of the logbook and is mainly a review of everything you have learnt. And many of these tests are randomly overseen by govt auditors, who score both the driver and the instructor.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
I have had one rear shunt and now slow down flahing my rear break light for tailgaters.
I find flicking the rear fog lights on and off randomly has a good effect on tailgaiters (it looks like your brake lights), they usually back off, or more likely scream past on the left hand side (if they're driving a ute).

And another thing, does the ute driving test include changing 4 lanes of traffic at 110kmh just before their motorway exit? Why do they all do it? Do they assume we'll all swerve wildly to avoid killing their dog in the flatbed in the back?

Cheers,
JTL
Old Dec 31st 2004, 5:21 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pandanda
I haven't been "had". Neither have all my friends who have completed the logbook method. Plainly put, the last task of the logbook is a short test involving using all the methods you have learnt by driving through traffic and performing a couple of maneuvers. It's right there in the logbook! It is scored and you have to be passed by your instructor to get your licence. But it is only part of the logbook and is mainly a review of everything you have learnt. And many of these tests are randomly overseen by govt auditors, who score both the driver and the instructor.
All right. You obviously consider the instructor-conducted "test" as a test.

In NSW, the logbook system for L drivers are also "graded" by instructors. Hence I don't consider these as "tests" as they are done "in-house", even if they are sometimes audited.

I consider a test a test only if it's examined by RTA (in NSW) examiners, who aren't instructors obviously.

Just a difference in terminology perhaps then?

Peter
Old Dec 31st 2004, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

All right. You obviously consider the instructor-conducted "test" as a test.

In NSW, the logbook system for L drivers are also "graded" by instructors. Hence I don't consider these as "tests" as they are done "in-house", even if they are sometimes audited.

I consider a test a test only if it's examined by RTA (in NSW) examiners, who aren't instructors obviously.

Just a difference in terminology perhaps then?

Peter
Well it's called a test, so it probably is a terminology thingie