Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland to trial L plates!

Queensland to trial L plates!

Old Dec 30th 2004, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future
Default Queensland to trial L plates!

For those of you who dont know, currently in Queensland, L plates are purely optional for learner drivers, UNLESS they are being taught by a driving school.

Anyway, from 31 jan 2005 to 30 Jan 2008, the requirement for all learners to display L plates will be trialled.

Who says Qld is 20 years behind everywhere else: they are only 19.5 years behind!

Another new driving rule (in force from 1 Jan 2005) is "A driver has 'left' a vehicle when he or she is more than three metres away from it."

And finally, one for all of us who have had someone scream past us on the left whilst driving on the motorway:

Overtaking to the left
A driver may now overtake to the left of a vehicle if the vehicle is stationary and can be safely overtaken to the left. For example, a driver wanting to turn left at a set of traffic lights may overtake to the left a line of traffic waiting to proceed straight through the intersection, provided it is safe to do so.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 10:46 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland to trial L plates!

Originally Posted by Trevglas
For those of you who dont know, currently in Queensland, L plates are purely optional for learner drivers, UNLESS they are being taught by a driving school.
I'll remember not to tailgate cars from Queensland from now on. You never know...

And is anyone aware that South Australian learner drivers need not go through a on-the-road test/exam to get their licence? They have an option to simply complete a log book and that's it.

Peter
Old Dec 30th 2004, 10:49 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ptlabs

And is anyone aware that South Australian learner drivers need not go through a on-the-road test/exam to get their licence? They have an option to simply complete a log book and that's it.

Peter

Thats quite scary :scared: I think my Gran did something like that (bought it from the Post Office), but at least that was 60 years ago, less traffic and less powerful cars! Very scary indeed!!
Old Dec 30th 2004, 10:54 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Thats quite scary :scared: I think my Gran did something like that (bought it from the Post Office), but at least that was 60 years ago, less traffic and less powerful cars! Very scary indeed!!
And what makes you think South Australia is different from the description you just provided

Peter
Old Dec 30th 2004, 10:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevglas

Anyway, from 31 jan 2005 to 30 Jan 2008, the requirement for all learners to display L plates will be trialled.

Who says Qld is 20 years behind everywhere else: they are only 19.5 years behind!

Another new driving rule (in force from 1 Jan 2005) is "A driver has 'left' a vehicle when he or she is more than three metres away from it."

And finally, one for all of us who have had someone scream past us on the left whilst driving on the motorway:

Overtaking to the left
A driver may now overtake to the left of a vehicle if the vehicle is stationary and can be safely overtaken to the left. For example, a driver wanting to turn left at a set of traffic lights may overtake to the left a line of traffic waiting to proceed straight through the intersection, provided it is safe to do so.
I saw some of the worst driving in the western world in Queensland.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 10:55 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I'll remember not to tailgate cars from Queensland from now on. You never know...

Peter

Sure its a log book not "liars book"?
Old Dec 30th 2004, 10:57 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

And what makes you think South Australia is different from the description you just provided

Peter

LMAO

Now I really am SCARED!!
Old Dec 30th 2004, 11:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I saw some of the worst driving in the western world in Queensland.
Have you ever driven in Sydney ?

After being there for some years I found QLD to be comparitively good for driving, and I began to enjoy driving again, although it is beginning to get worse now.

Old Dec 30th 2004, 11:03 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

After being there for some years I found QLD to be comparitively good for driving, and I began to enjoy driving again, although it is beginning to get worse now.
Yeah, Sydney is pretty bad, especially the taxi drivers!.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 11:05 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I find most Sydney drivers not much better than the average South-east Asian driver. If you can't beat them, you've got to join them.

I still enjoyed my driving stint in western Canada. Loved the well-mannered local drivers in B.C.!
Old Dec 30th 2004, 11:32 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yeah, Sydney is pretty bad, especially the taxi drivers!.
And don't forget the bus driver's! (God, the apostrophe's are running out again....)

It must be a trying job, driving in the maelstrom of Sydney traffic, but I now give the buses a wide berth. Speed limits appear to be purely advisory, as are lane markings. And as for tailgating........

I want to know what most of the drivers are on. I want some!
Old Dec 30th 2004, 11:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
And don't forget the bus driver's! (God, the apostrophe's are running out again....)

It must be a trying job, driving in the maelstrom of Sydney traffic, but I now give the buses a wide berth. Speed limits appear to be purely advisory, as are lane markings. And as for tailgating........

I want to know what most of the drivers are on. I want some!
The funny thing is that when I arrived in Sydney in 1986, I considered it a quiet place to drive, comparing it to my immediately previous experiences of regular London/M25 driving, but by the time I left in 1996 my view was totally different.

Was it the driving that had changed or was it me ?

Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Pandanda is on a distinguished road

Peter
Er, in South Australia you DO have to do an on-road test at the end of the logbook. Most people do the logbook method because it details everything you need to be able to do, and then they have to take a short officiated test to get their licence. If you don't do the logbook, the test is a lot longer and more comprehensive, but if you do the logbook, the test consists of driving around a heavy traffic area and performing some maneuvers as examples of what you have practiced in the logbook.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 3:06 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally Posted by Pandanda
Er, in South Australia you DO have to do an on-road test at the end of the logbook. Most people do the logbook method because it details everything you need to be able to do, and then they have to take a short officiated test to get their licence.
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/licen...rovisional.asp

You can choose to do a practical test, but are not obliged to do so. It's surprising what you can find on official websites...

Peter
Old Dec 31st 2004, 3:09 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
For those with a NSW driver's licence, whip it out and take a look at how it's spelled.

The Americans call theirs "driver's license".

The Brits "driving licence".

And us Australians (in NSW)? "Driver licence". (no apostrophe!!!)

Someone obviously needs to do the IELTS test...

Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.