Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland roundabouts

Queensland roundabouts

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future
Default Queensland roundabouts

Been here a year now but still can't work out if I'm doing something wrong at roundabouts or the locals are bad drivers.

Basically I always believed that you give way to your right yet despite me always indicating, other drivers do not slow down but actually speed up and pull out in front every time as though I, if I am travelling round the roundabout , have to give way to them.

Been many many close misses as they always seem to be ready to pull right out nealy every time.

What gives?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:30 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland roundabouts

Originally Posted by caleb2003
Been here a year now but still can't work out if I'm doing something wrong at roundabouts or the locals are bad drivers.

Basically I always believed that you give way to your right yet despite me always indicating, other drivers do not slow down but actually speed up and pull out in front every time as though I, if I am travelling round the roundabout , have to give way to them.

Been many many close misses as they always seem to be ready to pull right out nealy every time.

What gives?
Arya going round the roundabouts anti-clockwise
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Anything goes I am afraid, every man for him/herself
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
It feels like it
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

What gives?
It's the same as the UK, give way to the right..except during the morning rush hour, morning school run, your a white van man, hgv lorry, late for work, appointment, hairdresser, over 65, under 65, new driver, been driving for years and never had an accident driver, have a white,black,red,blue,purple, green, orange, pink,yellow car,4wd , big car, small car, hometime rush hour, afternoon school run,cyclist, then it's every man,woman, child and dog for himself, first past the line gets the smug I beat you feeling all day long
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

muffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant future

There was another thread a day or so ago about what's bad about Oz ... if I'd replied one of the few things I would have put down was driving ... especially in SE Qld ... I've driven a fair bit in WA and also in NSW / Vic / SA not nearly as bad as here ... dont understand why ... could be because there are so many 4 wheels and people feel they are "invincible" in them ... also the speed culture (not that I've got any points on my licence ... just now) ... people grew up with 3 or 4 litre cars and " ...it seems a shame not to use the power doesn"t it ... "

Leaving the tolls on the Gateway Bridge is a nightmare ... it's like high speed dodgems northbound and 6 lanes into 2 southbound produces some quaint driving habits ...

... and no you're probably not doing anything wrong on roundabouts... assuming you're going round the right way!!!

David
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:46 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muffinoz

... and no you're probably not doing anything wrong on roundabouts... assuming you're going round the right way!!!

David
Even then you will probably meet someone coming the other way

That happened to me twice in one week in adelaide

G
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:04 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

locals are bad drivers.

Correct on both counts. Try cycling....then you'll find out how bad it REALLY is!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:09 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I have given up believing what people signal to do on roundabouts in QLD as they seem to do the total opposite.
When I go as a passenger with the father in law in Brisbane (there from Gympie so dont face severe traffic) we usually have 2 or 3 near death experiences at roundabouts. We have tried to explain the rules of the road but he still doesnt get it (bless him) and I am eternally grateful to get to the destination alive.

What gives?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:16 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Aren't they are relatively new 'invention' in Oz?

I haven't really noticed too much of a problem round where we live, I just find that the sign posting for them is quite bad - usually on the roundabout itself rather than on the approach.

Same with slip roads on the motorway - no countdown markers.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Bad driving here ? Never !
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
I just find that the sign posting for them is quite bad - usually on the roundabout itself rather than on the approach.

Same with slip roads on the motorway - no countdown markers.
Signage here is just woeful. No consistency, its either way before the junction / slip road or bizzarely just after it. Does my nut in.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:22 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

People here are used to traffic lights that tell them when to stop and go so roundabouts are a little tricky.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:31 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Gold Street in Toowoomba has three or four really small ones. It was real fun trying to haul a truck around them when I was going to the servo to refuel. The easiest way around was literally drive over them, as evident by the number of old truck wheel tracks in the grass.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:36 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Gold Street in Toowoomba has three or four really small ones. It was real fun trying to haul a truck around them when I was going to the servo to refuel. The easiest way around was literally drive over them, as evident by the number of old truck wheel tracks in the grass.
In Swindon in the Uk, they have the Magic Roundabout ( do a search on Google.co.uk )

Its a series of about 5 roundabouts, circling one larger roundabout as i recall.. There is one in Hemel Hempstead too

At one point you do go anti clockwise !!

Very weird !

Last edited by Timber Floor Au; Jan 23rd 2008 at 2:42 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.