Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Info Please...

Queensland Info Please...

Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all
Cool Queensland Info Please...

Hi there from Aussie site newcomer.

My family and I have an application in progress to emigrate to Canada (over a year wait so far). My husband is a liveline powerlineman and there is a chance that an opportunity may arise in Queensland on permenant visa and then PR. He feels that Queensland may be a better bet for us and the electrical systems are very similar and if we went to Canada there would be a lot more hurdles to overcome i.e. re-certification, exams and possible backtrack.

I guess you're all used to the british weather and one of my questions is what is the weather really like in regards to temps during the year and is it tolerable. I also have two dogs, one of which is an American Akita and the other is a Alaskan Malamute. I would be a bit worried how they would cope with extreme heat and wondered if anyone had experience with these kind of dogs in this situation.

My other worry is the childrens education as I understand that if your not permanent resident you may have to pay for private education. Am I correct in assuming this? My boys are currently 12 and 10.

Any info much appreciated as we need to make decisions one way or another as in some respects Aus in sounding more and more appealing.

Thanks
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland Info Please...

Originally Posted by Alison33

My family and I have an application in progress to emigrate to Canada (over a year wait so far). My husband is a liveline powerlineman and there is a chance that an opportunity may arise in Queensland on permenant visa and then PR. He feels that Queensland may be a better bet for us and the electrical systems are very similar and if we went to Canada there would be a lot more hurdles to overcome i.e. re-certification, exams and possible backtrack.

I guess you're all used to the british weather and one of my questions is what is the weather really like in regards to temps during the year and is it tolerable. I also have two dogs, one of which is an American Akita and the other is a Alaskan Malamute. I would be a bit worried how they would cope with extreme heat and wondered if anyone had experience with these kind of dogs in this situation.

My other worry is the childrens education as I understand that if your not permanent resident you may have to pay for private education. Am I correct in assuming this? My boys are currently 12 and 10.

Any info much appreciated as we need to make decisions one way or another as in some respects Aus in sounding more and more appealing.

Thanks
Hi Alison,

I'm moving to Qld myself, so I may be able to answer a few of your questions:

I know that the voltage in aus is the same as the UK, but beyond that I couldn't offer any advice about what training/experience your husband would need.

Climate: two thirds of QLd is tropical (Cairns, Townsville etc) the south sub-tropical (Brissie, Gold Coast, sunshine Coast etc). Generally there are seasonal variations in climate even in the North, but in the Summer it can get up into the 40s, and humidity can be very high too. Like anywhere however, you do acclimatise. I guess it depends how you feel in general during hot weather; not everyone copes very well.

Your breed of dogs, as you know can get stressed in hot weather, so I imagine that they would have difficulty coping in the heat.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, you would have to pay for your children's education if you don't have PR. Having said that, I don't know if your job offer is linked to a Employer Sponsorship visa. If it is, then PR might be a part of the deal.

Hope that helps a bit!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:36 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

Thanks
for your OH's job he will require limited electrical licence to work. I'll see if i can find any links for you.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Hiya Allison

Don't know any answers to your questions but just thought I would say hi. We are same as you (have had skilled worker application with CIC since December 2005) but given extremely long wait we are now seriously considering moving to Queensland.

Are going to the Emigrate Show in Glasgow tomorrow which will hopefully make up our minds for us.

Scotschick
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:50 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

Thanks
the link below:

http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/electrical...ning/licences/

should be a starting point. have a good read as some is a little confusing as i remember it.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scotschick
Hiya Allison

Don't know any answers to your questions but just thought I would say hi. We are same as you (have had skilled worker application with CIC since December 2005) but given extremely long wait we are now seriously considering moving to Queensland.

Are going to the Emigrate Show in Glasgow tomorrow which will hopefully make up our minds for us.

Scotschick
Thanks to all that have replied so far. May have to do some research of my own though. A mate of his has just accepted a job out there and can go staight in without licencing as fas as I know and my OH has 20 yrs exeprience on him as I say climate worries me as I'm pretty used to the dull weather here in UK.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scotschick
Hiya Allison

Scotschick
Hiya

Where did you apply initially, was it Canada. Our Skilled workers application has been in since Feb 05 and we were told not to expect to hear anything for at least 30 months, which to me seems a bit outraguos (sorry can't spell at monent just come back from being out on the town). Emigrate Glasgow is a bit far for us but we did visit Sandown last May and we will wait until the next show down this neck of the woods. Bugs & sharks are also a great worry to me as I hate them especially spiders and wasps. Have you visited Queensland prior to thinking about going?

Ali
Old Mar 25th 2006, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
Info for our neck of the woods www.ourbrisbane.com.au has info on suburbs, weather etc...........

Aus was not our first choice we looked at the states, but this one of the best decisions we have made in our lives, as for weather found it really hot when we arrived (29.12.06) but have had days in last couple of weeks were it's felt a bit chili you become use to it.

Education wise you have to pay for private if you have PR visa< I think you have to pay for state school if you have temp visa but if you have PR it's virtually free (I think)

It must have been a good night if your still up !!!!!!
Old Mar 25th 2006, 2:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all that have replied so far. May have to do some research of my own though. A mate of his has just accepted a job out there and can go staight in without licencing as fas as I know and my OH has 20 yrs exeprience on him as I say climate worries me as I'm pretty used to the dull weather here in UK.
There are many threads on here about tthe licencing of tradesmen - if you do a few searches on terms like "electrical" and "licence" you should come up with a mountain of useful info, including addresses to contact
Old Mar 25th 2006, 4:02 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Cool Re: Queensland Info Please...

Thanks
Hi Alison,

Regarding your dogs, we brought our dog to Dubai where it is between 40 & 47c and humid during the summer months. She is a German Shepherd x Collie so has quite a thick coat. We were thinking about having her clipped but the vet advised against it saying that the under fur insulated her from the heat.

She prefers to stay indoors during the day in the summer, you just adapt your routine to walking early morning and late evening when it's cooler. Walks are also shorter during the summer months.

We also shipped our cat and neither have had any problems adapting to a warmer climate in fact they love it. It rained the first time for 12 months last week and the cat did stand out in it for a while though! I certainly don't miss having to wipe wet muddy paws and having wet smelly fur around the house after a walk!

Hope this helps, Gillian.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 6:18 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There are many threads on here about tthe licencing of tradesmen - if you do a few searches on terms like "electrical" and "licence" you should come up with a mountain of useful info, including addresses to contact
what like this
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TRA contact sheet.pdf (14.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: pdf
otherlicence2005_form11.pdf (162.5 KB, 101 views)
File Type: doc
planes info focus.doc (60.5 KB, 81 views)
Old Mar 25th 2006, 7:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
what like this
Well I was thinking ore of threads on Expats, but that looks like the official stuff I'm no electrical expert though - rewiring a plug was my limit!!!
Old Mar 25th 2006, 7:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm no electrical expert though - rewiring a plug was my limit!!!
Ssshhhhhh! Walls have ears. You know what you can start with statements like that
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Hi Alison,

Regarding your dogs, we brought our dog to Dubai where it is between 40 & 47c and humid during the summer months. She is a German Shepherd x Collie so has quite a thick coat. We were thinking about having her clipped but the vet advised against it saying that the under fur insulated her from the heat.

I certainly don't miss having to wipe wet muddy paws and having wet smelly fur around the house after a walk!
I know what you mean about wet muddy paws. While I'm at work my dogs have kennels that are open to the garden and they don't always think to go inside when its raining. Takes me ages to dry them off. I have taught them to show me their feet before they even get to stand on the carpet. We have thought about getting our Akita clipped as she is longhaired with a thick undercoat and can get a bit knotty - she may look a bit strange.

Does your dog sleep outside at night? Ours have never slept overnight in the house and its usual for them to ask to go to bed at about 11pm when they sit by the back door. Nando our Malamute loves catching and eating anything that moves including hedgehogs (he's had quite a few), rabbits, and spiders and would even try a cat if he could catch it. If we decide to go to Aus may have to teach him to leave the wildlife alone.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tabby
It must have been a good night if your still up !!!!!!
Was a great night thanks. Its now 10am and to tell the truth could quite easily go back to bed. Suffering a bit but I guess someones got to start the housework. I'll pop a couple of anadin and I should be right as rain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.