Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland House Stamp / Transfer Duty

Queensland House Stamp / Transfer Duty

Old Feb 11th 2009, 6:29 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland House Stamp / Transfer Duty

FHOG will still be around. The increased amount ($14k instead of $7k) is due to expire 30 June 2009. However, there is a widely held view that this will be extended and that the Govt has avoided announcing that in case people defer a house purchase until later.

Stamp Duty concessions AFAIK have not changed due to the GFC but are just part of geenral reform. These are not likely to get worse, only better.

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
thanks, not thats it's probably relevaany anyway cos by the time we move over and even consider buying all the incentives will have finished anyway
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice

Hi,
Thank you all for your replies
I've just phoned the Queensland Treasury. The guy I talked to repeated what I got told before, i.e. that the word 'Elsewhere' means anywhere in the world as opposed to elsewhere just in Australia.

I then went onto ask about the word 'land' in the question. At this point he read out their definition of what 'residential land' is. I can't remember the exact wording he used but here is a shorter version, that I found on their website:

'residential land' Means the residence and curtilage attributable to the residence and includes land on

They never write these things in plain English do they

I checked what 'curtilage' means and according to wikipedia it is:

In law, curtilage is the enclosed area of land around a dwelling. It is distinct from the dwelling by virtue of lacking a roof, but distinct from the area outside the enclosure in that it is enclosed within a wall or barrier of some sort.

Now assuming the word 'residence' means a house or similar dwelling then by their definition of 'residential land' it includes the house even if the land is not owned by that person.

Mark
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:19 am
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cheshiremark
Hi,
Thank you all for your replies
I've just phoned the Queensland Treasury. The guy I talked to repeated what I got told before, i.e. that the word 'Elsewhere' means anywhere in the world as opposed to elsewhere just in Australia.

I then went onto ask about the word 'land' in the question. At this point he read out their definition of what 'residential land' is. I can't remember the exact wording he used but here is a shorter version, that I found on their website:

'residential land' Means the residence and curtilage attributable to the residence and includes land on

They never write these things in plain English do they

I checked what 'curtilage' means and according to wikipedia it is:

In law, curtilage is the enclosed area of land around a dwelling. It is distinct from the dwelling by virtue of lacking a roof, but distinct from the area outside the enclosure in that it is enclosed within a wall or barrier of some sort.

Now assuming the word 'residence' means a house or similar dwelling then by their definition of 'residential land' it includes the house even if the land is not owned by that person.

Mark
There seems to be a lot of confusion around this issue. I've had two mortgage brokers tell me that I would be eligible for stamp duty concession even though I've owned a house in the U.K. I guess the response from the Queensland Treasury should be treated as gospel?

mjj
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice

What exactly do you pay stamp duty for? Just been looking at the charges - wow!!! I can't remember ever paying stamp duty on any of our houses in the UK.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kendalanita
What exactly do you pay stamp duty for? Just been looking at the charges - wow!!! I can't remember ever paying stamp duty on any of our houses in the UK.
UK stamp duty is between 1% and 4% on property over £175,000

Old Jun 27th 2009, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

toughspiders will become famous soon enoughtoughspiders will become famous soon enough

Hiya

Did anyone ever get a definitive answer on the stamp duty issue and leasehold properties??

We are in the process of buying

cheers in advance

Becky