Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Driving Test

Queensland Driving Test

Old Aug 4th 2004, 9:47 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Queensland Driving Test

Does anyone know if I can do my Queensland driving test - written bit - online?

Ta,

Paul.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 10:01 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland Driving Test

You have to produce your passport with visa or pass the 100 point check at a police station to sit the test.

Originally posted by diddy
Does anyone know if I can do my Queensland driving test - written bit - online?

Ta,

Paul.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 10:06 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cresta57
You have to produce your passport with visa or pass the 100 point check at a police station to sit the test.
100 point test?
Old Aug 4th 2004, 10:31 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by diddy
100 point test?
They have a system of scoring points towards establishing a positive ID, so many for a drivers licence, same for a utilities bill, bank card etc.
If you have a valid PR sticker in your passport the check is waved for recent arrivals. Be warned you only get a certain length of time so get bank accounts open quickly and sort out things like medicare, centrelink and your driving licence.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 10:45 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Thanks.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

They have a system of scoring points towards establishing a positive ID, so many for a drivers licence, same for a utilities bill, bank card etc.
If you have a valid PR sticker in your passport the check is waved for recent arrivals. Be warned you only get a certain length of time so get bank accounts open quickly and sort out things like medicare, centrelink and your driving licence.
Diddy
If you look at the application form for a driving license, it requests certain documents. I took my UK driving license, my medicare card and my rent agreement (to prove my address). (Not aware that these are on a point system, unlike getting a bank account).
Got given the test papers (multiple choice), sat and did them, passed (ok, ok failed first time....bloody Give Way signs). When you pass, photo gets taken there and then and you get a new license ten minutes later.
Test is as follows
Give way conditions: 10 questions (only allowed 1 wrong)
Signs and other general motoring: 20 questions (two allowed wrong)
Motorbike: 5 questions (1 allowed wrong)

Check out http://www.transport.qld.gov.au

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...sing_question1

No online test, but NSW has one that is very similar

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...est/index.html

If you are on a PR visa, you have three months to change license.
If on a temp visa, you have forever!
Hope this helps
Nick
Old Aug 4th 2004, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Off topic but with regards to a 100 point check, this is the same for opening an hsbc bank account, though i have been told that if you walk into an hsbc branch in aus within your first four weeks upon arrival with your passport showing your visa ( assumed permanent redidency ) then this automatically is considered 100 points and you can have an account open within half an hour.

Sharpy, thanks for the links.

Paul.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

just an addition regarding sharpy's post, it states " what will it cost for a license ( overseas ) " in the FAQ section and states the fees for learner, 1 year, 2 years etc. up to 5 years.

Do you have to renew your license every so often ? or is it like the uk ( pass once and drive forever { not literally })

Paul.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 9:25 pm

In QLD your drivers licence has to be renewed every 5 yrs
I think it's all part and parcel of keeping people in work like all the rest of the paperwork you have to do annually, bi-annually etc. Creating jobs for people who don't provide anything, grow anything or make anything
You don't have to retake a practicle test though
Originally posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
just an addition regarding sharpy's post, it states " what will it cost for a license ( overseas ) " in the FAQ section and states the fees for learner, 1 year, 2 years etc. up to 5 years.

Do you have to renew your license every so often ? or is it like the uk ( pass once and drive forever { not literally })

Paul.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

In QLD your drivers licence has to be renewed every 5 yrs
I think it's all part and parcel of keeping people in work like all the rest of the paperwork you have to do annually, bi-annually etc. Creating jobs for people who don't provide anything, grow anything or make anything
You don't have to retake a practicle test though
probably more to do with keeping your photo up to date and the fact that many people are constantly moving interstate over their working careers. Don't think you even have to do the written part let alone the practical.

Nick
Old Aug 5th 2004, 8:47 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Sharpy67
probably more to do with keeping your photo up to date and the fact that many people are constantly moving interstate over their working careers. Don't think you even have to do the written part let alone the practical.

Nick
Pretty sure you do need to take at least a written test. In Queensland, especially, Im almost positive of it. It isnt particularly difficult.

My wife, being American, will need to take both tests as her experience is with left-hand drive cars. I think this goes for anyone who comes from a pass on the right country.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 8:51 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ulujain
Pretty sure you do need to take at least a written test. In Queensland, especially, Im almost positive of it. It isnt particularly difficult.
Peter, hes talking about to renew your licence every 5 years - no test required (apart from eyesight, which I think they have even waived that now?).
Old Aug 5th 2004, 8:55 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Peter, hes talking about to renew your licence every 5 years - no test required (apart from eyesight, which I think they have even waived that now?).
Ah, gotcha. No, I think eyesight tests are for people aged 75+, but dont quote me on that one.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 11:43 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

lol, this is one thing I do know about having sat the bloody thing 4 times recently!!!
I checked when I finally passed whether I had to sit the stupid thing again when renewing my license and the answer was no, its just to make sure the photo and personal info is correct, no eye test on any of my 4 tests either.

I took the first one within the allowed 3 months but was way over the time by the time i passed it, i was told at the test office that this wasnt a problem as I could prove I'd tried, so as long as you at least sit it once within your 3 months you can continue to use your uk license for a while afterwards.

Incidentally, I think they're away off an online test as its a good old pen and paper job at the test centre!
Old Aug 6th 2004, 2:51 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by mcmercer
no eye test on any of my 4 tests either.
It's amazing how different transport offices differ in Brisbane. I had an eye test. I think you are supposed to have an eye test by law to get your licence. They have the eye chart behind the counter, stuck on the wall , which you are supposed to read. The offices, or people who work in these transport offices differ so much here it seems.

Took mine in Redcliffe Qld transport last year... and had an eye test. ( I don't wear glasses either.. so it wasn't that)

To get my licence , I just took my brit paper licence in, my passport, and I think I also showed them my over 18 card.
Paper test like has been mentioned.You are given a card with the questions on.. and an answer sheet .. you just choose the correct answer.

Passed first time.. got the alcohol question wrong ( I picked the lowest amount.. when in fact I could drink more.. stupid to mark that wrong) . Hubby failed.. he got such an easy question wrong too ( he had three wrong in the twenty questions.. the first ten he had right, plus his extra motorbike questions he had all right too) .He had a roundabout sign wrong..LOL. I think someone else on this site had that one wrong too. What does this sign mean.. he just circled the roundabout answer ..when it should have been roundabout, give way to all on roundabout - he was most miffed! As he said that's pretty obvious, didn't think it needed spelling out for them !- Think simple , and read through all the answers carefully -and you will pass. It's not hard. I took ten minutes looking through the book to revise, for the parking distances etc ( which I had none in my test.in the end... so that was a waste of time).. and passed no worries.

The questions differ a bit on these sheets.. hubby did not have all the exact same questions I had either.
.................................................. .

The five year licence is the max one you buy.. You can also get a year two years etc.. but why anyone would pay for one of those I don't know.

renewing them is for photo purposes I would think.. don't you have to renew your photo British ones every so often? ( I don't know.. I don't have a photo British one, I have a paper one).. interesting though.. I have my over 18 card on me too in the back of my purse .. and there seems no expiry date on it , not one that I can see anywhere on it- and that's a photo ID card. I have aged since then ..lol this photo is around 5, 6 year old.

I always look a bit of a shifty looking character in these photo's.. does anyone like their photo on their driving licence or other Id cards? My hubby always looks like a right crim in his. passport the lot - he looks like he's a mad man escaped from somewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.