Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Daylight Saving

Queensland Daylight Saving

Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:05 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Queensland Daylight Saving

As mentioned elsewhere, QLD does not operate dayliight savings. Not only does this mean we watch the pre recorded New Year's celebrations from Sydney, which entered 2005 one hour before us, it also means that at 4PM in the summer it is bright and sunny. For those who live in Aus/QLD, this means waking up to Kookaburras, crows and all the other noise.

Now some would say that QLD is more like 20 years behind the other eastern states, never mind one hour, but I would rather have my one hour of daylight moved to the evening, when I am awake, rather than in the morning, when I am asleep.

This would lead to consistency across the eastern states, losing disruption to flight timetables, TV scheduling problems etc. but more importantly, to me, meansd I could sit outside in the evenings after work later than 7PM without being eaten by mossies.

So. A poll. Should QLD be brought out of the dark ages?
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:10 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Queensland Daylight Saving

Originally Posted by jayr
As mentioned elsewhere, QLD does not operate dayliight savings. Not only does this mean we watch the pre recorded New Year's celebrations from Sydney, which entered 2005 one hour before us, it also means that at 4PM in the summer it is bright and sunny. For those who live in Aus/QLD, this means waking up to Kookaburras, crows and all the other noise.

Now some would say that QLD is more like 20 years behind the other eastern states, never mind one hour, but I would rather have my one hour of daylight moved to the evening, when I am awake, rather than in the morning, when I am asleep.

This would lead to consistency across the eastern states, losing disruption to flight timetables, TV scheduling problems etc. but more importantly, to me, meansd I could sit outside in the evenings after work later than 7PM without being eaten by mossies.

Doh! Bumped your head and can't get up with the Kookaburras?
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes!!! Give us our extra hour of daylight in the evenings, when we can appreciate it!!!

Reasons for not wanting Daylight Saving include "the cows will be confused and not give milk anymore" " the hens will stop laying because its dark" and " the furniture will fade because there is an extra hour of sunlight"....no offence to the Qlders I know and love (including my dear husband) but - what a load of twaddle! I sometimes think this place is 200 years behind, not 20!
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I cant find the poll never mind.

But I'd vote yes if I could.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:14 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I cant find the poll never mind.

But I'd vote yes if I could.

Stooopid thing submitted without letting me do the poll, think I hit return twice or something. Don't think I can fix it now.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:16 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Doh! Bumped your head and can't get up with the Kookaburras?

Well I don't particulary want to be up at 4am and to bed by 7pm. It's not like I can go to the shops, the gym, go to work or start the mower up or anything at 4am. If I could, I'd be quite happy.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:22 am
ABCDiamond

Well I don't particulary want to be up at 4am and to bed by 7pm. It's not like I can go to the shops, the gym, go to work or start the mower up or anything at 4am. If I could, I'd be quite happy.
How about 2 hours difference, take it an hour the "Other" way, then its light by 6am, but gaining an extra 2 hours light in the evening

Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the killer for us, its been getting light and hot! for three hours before we can legally open up, and its like mid day by the time school starts at 9, move the clock, then let eveything start at 6 am like they do in many hot climates. Well it would suit me anyway.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Of course there should be daylight saving. We get woken up from 4.30am onwards by the birds and crows squawking their little heads off. Then its dark by the time we've finished dinner so no time to enjoy the garden during the week.

Take a look at the shakey arguments for NOT having daylight saving on the

We like the being 20 years behind

website. I see they've removed the "It will confuse the cows", and "It will fade your curtains" arguments, and are even self deprecating them. So now they've taken a more serious slant and said our kids will all get skin cancer if we have daylight saving. (apparenly school lunchtimes will coincide with the peak UV levels if we have daylight saving)

I assume their solution is to move night to day and day to night, so we never have to endure the sun at all.

Oh, another great argument of theirs I loved. The person writing was in Sydney when they had daylight saving, and noted that there weren't many people out on their verandas enjoying this extra hour of daylight. From this he surmised, that, though we think we want an extra hour of daylight in the evening, we don't really; we wouldn't make use of it, we would be indoors watching tv or having dinner, so it might as well be dark

I love their logic. Of course he never checked if they were sitting out in the back of their houses

The weirdest suggestion I've read is that South East Queensland goes it alone, and does Daylight saving, and leave the rest of Queensland on 1970s time. I'd be all for that, but it would be weird to be driving along the Bruce Highway and see signs saying, " You are entering a different timezone, please reset your watch to 1974"

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jan 13th 2005, 11:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

The weirdest suggestion I've read is that South East Queensland goes it alone, and does Daylight saving, and leave the rest of Queensland on 1970s time. I'd be all for that, but it would be weird to be driving along the Bruce Highway and see signs saying, " You are entering a different timezone, please reset your watch to 1974"
Why is that weird?

In the US many states have a timezone boundary running down the middle.

Brisbane and SE Queensland are not only further south than the rest of the state, but also further *east* which means the daylight comes earlier and the argument for daylight savings is much stronger in that part of the state.

That said, there is nothing stopping businesses, schools or government offices in SE Queensland from changing their hours so as to open and close earlier in summer. However this really needs employer commitment (often not there) and the advantage of daylight saving is that it achieves the same end with more co-ordination.

Jeremy
Old Jan 13th 2005, 11:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

Cheers,
JTL
I think sometimes they need that sign at Brisbane airport.......after all, a lot of stuff here is like being in a timewarp! (this is NOT a whinge, its an observation )
Old Jan 13th 2005, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yes!!! Give us our extra hour of daylight in the evenings, when we can appreciate it!!!

Reasons for not wanting Daylight Saving include "the cows will be confused and not give milk anymore" " the hens will stop laying because its dark" and " the furniture will fade because there is an extra hour of sunlight"....no offence to the Qlders I know and love (including my dear husband) but - what a load of twaddle! I sometimes think this place is 200 years behind, not 20!
pmsl poll

A resounding yes from me
It is reaallly confusing when I have to take the car to the dealers in Tweed (NSW) as on the return journey I will get home before I left
Old Jan 13th 2005, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
That said, there is nothing stopping businesses, schools or government offices in SE Queensland from changing their hours so as to open and close earlier in summer. However this really needs employer commitment (often not there) and the advantage of daylight saving is that it achieves the same end with more co-ordination.

Jeremy
I've often thought about having our own personal timezone. Basically just move our watches and clocks forward 2 hours. Obviously you need a flexible work environment, which we have, so turning up 2 hours early means you can leave 2 hours early. Also requires tv and radio to synch up with our personal timezone. So....

You know how lots of the channels on foxtel have a '+2' channel which shows the programme from 2 hours ago? How about they introduce a '-2' channel so they show programmes two hours before they are due? That way I could watch the "10" (-2) o'clock news and then go to bed!

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jan 13th 2005, 12:04 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why is that weird?

In the US many states have a timezone boundary running down the middle.

Yep, I've posted this website before, but its quite interesting USA Time Zones
Old Jan 13th 2005, 12:20 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

So just to get this straight; if we took up daylight saving tomorrow, midday would start 'earlier', ie it would effectively be at 11 o'clock. Would this not mean that the main heat of the day would be present for a longer period of time whilst people are out and about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.