Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Coast Good and bad suburb recommendations :)

Queensland Coast Good and bad suburb recommendations :)

Old Dec 25th 2014, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Rebekka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Queensland Coast Good and bad suburb recommendations :)

Hi

We have been researching with a view to moving to a family friendly suburb, close to a nice beach, good catholic schools to suit boys aged 9 &14. But the biggest thing will be somewhere where a carpenter could get work or not too much of a commute to work.

We have been looking from the Sunshine Coast right down to the Gold Coast, but because the area is so large it's been difficult so far to get a real feeling for areas, so if anyone can recommend any areas for us to look at that would be great, and also any areas to avoid. We would be initially renting and wanting to spend around $500 per week or less (if that's possible in a decent area), don't mind new or older houses, prefer Queenslanders, but being in a good family friendly area near to decent schools and activities for the children is more important. The reason we have been looking at this part of the country is the cost of living, (from what I've seen), the climate, and a good outdoor life for the children. I have looked into other areas but discounted them all for one reason or another, we would want to move in around 6 months time if all goes to plan.

Thank you, and Merry Christmas
Old Dec 25th 2014, 9:41 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland Coast Good and bad suburb recommendations :)

Originally Posted by Rebekka
Hi

We have been researching with a view to moving to a family friendly suburb, close to a nice beach, good catholic schools to suit boys aged 9 &14. But the biggest thing will be somewhere where a carpenter could get work or not too much of a commute to work.
Real Estate & Property For Rent in Sunshine Coast, QLD (Page 1) - realestate.com.au
We have been looking from the Sunshine Coast right down to the Gold Coast, but because the area is so large it's been difficult so far to get a real feeling for areas, so if anyone can recommend any areas for us to look at that would be great, and also any areas to avoid. We would be initially renting and wanting to spend around $500 per week or less (if that's possible in a decent area), don't mind new or older houses, prefer Queenslanders, but being in a good family friendly area near to decent schools and activities for the children is more important. The reason we have been looking at this part of the country is the cost of living, (from what I've seen), the climate, and a good outdoor life for the children. I have looked into other areas but discounted them all for one reason or another, we would want to move in around 6 months time if all goes to plan.

Thank you, and Merry Christmas
To be honest, advising on which is the best suburb, schools etc, is a little hard for anyone when the area you are looking at is so large, which include towns, townships, cities (with multiple suburbs). Before asking this I would settle on an area first, but that can also depend on where the work is. Then you can factor in the commute length (be aware it may vary from project to project), schools etc. Every place has it good and bad points, so with the large area covered, you will ultimately get information overload. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_East_Queensland This shhows the regions from the Sunshine Coast to the Gold Coast
City of Brisbane, Somerset Region, Sunshine Coast Region, Moreton Bay Region, Redland City, Logan City, Shire of Noosa, Gold Coast City , all within easy commute to the beach. All up you would be looking at roughly 10 000 to 11 000sq kms in total area.

I have included the page from SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site for the Sunshine Coast area (you can do the same for the Gold Coast) SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site

which show not many jobs listed on it in the last 30 days. I presume that you will be looking for work once you get here or are you being sponsored?
I would advise making sure you have sufficient funds available to live on for at least 12 months in case if you are not being sponsored and/or you cannot find work - carpentry can be cyclic as you may be aware depending on the amount of construction/renovation work that is going on.
You will also have to have the necessary licencing and skills assessments before being able to be a licenced carpenter etc Queensland Building and Construction Commission .

Last edited by The Bloke; Dec 25th 2014 at 9:54 am.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Thank you

I have been specifically looking at the Sunshine Coast region and north Gold Coast, but really not sure at the moment. I thought maybe people who have had good experiences in certain areas may be able to mention them so I can do research on specific suburbs rather than researching not so good/suitable areas and wasting time, (I know how big the area is so realise the difficulty in this) All the areas I've liked the look of I think would be too quiet for children and maybe they would be bored due to lack of activities/facilities. This move is to hopefully give my children a better life than they have now, they're both really unhappy and speaking about a potential move is the first spark of happiness I've seen in them for over 3 years. Although work is important, my husband could work elsewhere if it came to that, it's just that he'd prefer to be close to us. He will be doing his own research there as carpentry jobs aren't normally found on seek. We don't want anyone (employers, friends) to know were thinking of moving at this stage, just in case it doesn't work out, hence the reason of asking here
Old Dec 25th 2014, 5:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you

I have been specifically looking at the Sunshine Coast region and north Gold Coast, but really not sure at the moment. I thought maybe people who have had good experiences in certain areas may be able to mention them so I can do research on specific suburbs rather than researching not so good/suitable areas and wasting time, (I know how big the area is so realise the difficulty in this) All the areas I've liked the look of I think would be too quiet for children and maybe they would be bored due to lack of activities/facilities. This move is to hopefully give my children a better life than they have now, they're both really unhappy and speaking about a potential move is the first spark of happiness I've seen in them for over 3 years. Although work is important, my husband could work elsewhere if it came to that, it's just that he'd prefer to be close to us. He will be doing his own research there as carpentry jobs aren't normally found on seek. We don't want anyone (employers, friends) to know were thinking of moving at this stage, just in case it doesn't work out, hence the reason of asking here
Being Christmas this place is a bit quiet at present but if you look back through the forum there are loads of threads on Sunshine and Gold Coast suburbs to keep you going till people are online again.
From a job point of view people are usually advised that there is more chance of work on the Gold Coast, but there are a lot of tradies on here than can give more specific advice on that too

Not a lot in the cost of living these days, Australia is no longer as cheap as it was.

What sort of activities do you and the children like? Are you amusement park fans? bushwalking/hiking fans? Do you like a busy life with shops, cafes etc or a more rural (UK-type rural lifestyle?
Old Dec 25th 2014, 10:22 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Queensland Coast Good and bad suburb recommendations :)

This move is to hopefully give my children a better life than they have now, they're both really unhappy
Hi Rebekka, I hope a move to QLD gives you everything you want, just a word of warning though, a geographical move does not normally "fix" unhappiness. They may have a better life, they may (you need to consider this) have a worse life in QLD, far away from things and people they are familiar with or close to.

Generally, people who are already happy with their lives but just want a change, tend to be happy once they have emigrated. People who are unhappy often bring their unhappiness with them.

What would you do to solve the unhappiness issue if you were forced to stay where you were?

BB
Old Dec 25th 2014, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

Pollyana we are looking for a family friendly area, cafés and shops would be good, but not essential, not isolated, not too built up, good catholic schools, these are all ideals and we'd be happy to compromise, I'm open to looking into any safe area with a good community feeling

Buzzy bee I think to help with the happiness side of things, things I would change about where we are would be, nice beach, useable ocean, less isolation, good schools, friends for our children, a cooler climate, lower cost of living and for my husband to get a job so he could live with us, also a safer area where the children would be allowed outside. We're not 'unhappy' in ourselves, we just live in an area that's not for us so looking for alternatives.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 11:02 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

Pollyana we are looking for a family friendly area, cafés and shops would be good, but not essential, not isolated, not too built up, good catholic schools, these are all ideals and we'd be happy to compromise, I'm open to looking into any safe area with a good community feeling

Buzzy bee I think to help with the happiness side of things, things I would change about where we are would be, nice beach, useable ocean, less isolation, good schools, friends for our children, a cooler climate, lower cost of living and for my husband to get a job so he could live with us, also a safer area where the children would be allowed outside. We're not 'unhappy' in ourselves, we just live in an area that's not for us so looking for alternatives.
Cost of living really is no lower n Aus than in the UK, as I think I already said. The other thing that sticks out is 'a cooler climate' - and you are looking at Queensland? I'd be looking Victoria/Tasmania, no way Queensland! Its hot and humid, and there are many days when your kids will be stuck indoors because its too hot to play outside.

Can't help on the rest really as I am a grumpy old woman , no kids to base experience on.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Pollyana we live in the tropics so wanting a cooler climate we're paying $700 a week groceries shop and between $1.45 & $1.60 for petrol, I nearly died of shock seeing how cheap things are elsewhere, I've no idea of uk price comparisons but there's a big difference for us on our everyday expenses and insurance etc. We not moving because we want cheaper, it's just an added bonus
Old Dec 26th 2014, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

If you have lived in the tropics then I could understand how looking at the SC and GC would seem cooler. We live currently between Brisbane, SC and Melbourne. On the SC you meet many people from the tropics who find the climate mild, gentle, even cool. Me being from UK I find it very hot between November March, but I hate heat and places like Darwin, Cairns and Singapore kill me, I cant stand them weatherwise. But yep we know people from Darwin on the SC and they think it never gets hot

Groceries in recent times for 2A and 2 teens is about 300 week, all healthy food no junk, everything cooked from scratch. You could easily rent for 500 a week SC or GC.

Carpenter, as you say ,not on seek, its all subcontracting. Partners work last few years all in Brisbane, which has really picked up building wise. Very popular good catholic school on SC, look at Sienna at sippy creek as an example. But would be same on GC I imagine.

Petrols about 111c L last night but was recently up to 156cL. I find our biggest expenses are medical, dental etc, really add up despite having private, now son turned 21 its just gone up to 495 month, looking at changing that one!

Popular areas with migrants with good schools, are Buderim, lots of Doctors, lawyers pilots pick that one, very green, all the top schools. Minyama/kawana, beaches, boats, big houses on water . Alexandra headland, gone crazy last 2 years, beachfront, all the facilities. The new housing estates of brightwater and sippy downs are popular too, and a more economical option.

Hope that helps on that area anyway.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 4:00 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

We left our two grown up sons in Cairns and relocated to South East Queensland last year. We love the tropics but fancied a change and the cost of living is cheaper in most ways. I was from a country village background and the missus from a rural town so Cairns was like a big city for us.

We lived on the Redcliffe Peninsula for a few months in Scarborough, Redcliffe and Woody Point while assessing where we wanted to live. The council has obviously spent millions upgrading the sea front all the way along the peninsula.

Pity about the rest which we found pretty dire and grotty. Plenty of bikies, hoons and bogans screaming their heads off to make sure you don't sleep long and quite numerous very poor looking people. I think the employment level must be low but haven't looked up actual figures.

It is an area that is scheduled to develop significantly as housing is cheap and there will be a direct rail link in the future making commuting to Brisbane easier.

We also looked at the areas from Sandstone point around to Shorncliffe and weren't especially struck by anything. Seems to me that the whole Moreton Bay area is a little lacking in funds.

We didn't check out the inland suburbs much as we wanted to live more coastal however we did shop at North Lakes which has a very large shopping complex. That whole area is growing all the time but is supposed to be full of Poms. Is that a positive or negative.....I'll let you decide.

The Gold Coast and Brisbane are very, very busy and not for us so we have ended up on the quieter Sunshine Coast. My experience here is of course limited so far but I suspect it could meet your criteria. It's certainly cooler and since leaving the tropics we have had to invest in a few winter type fleeces and the likes.

Workwise the Sunshine Coast may offer some good construction employment over the next few years. A brand new public hospital, an airport extension, 2 new town centres, industrial park and several house building projects. In fact some of this is already underway.

Only been here since March so difficult for me to recommend suburbs but here's a few grapevine things.

Mooloolaba is very much a holiday resort. Noosa, Maroochydore, Caloundra and Buderim always seem congested when we go there. Little Mountain, Mountain Creek, Peregian Springs and Bli Bli have the newer house building developments going on and seem to be aimed at family communities. Nambour is the only place I've heard bad stuff about on a regular basis.

Cresta may be able to comment better on areas as he works in construction.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the area suggestions, we have been on the Gold Coast as usual for Christmas and head to Rocky for a night tomorrow, then airlie for a while before heading home. We enjoy camping so usually head for the big 4's to keep the children entertained and explore new places.

Before reading any comments I've been swaying toward the sc over gc, not sure why, maybe it's because it's slightly quieter, although I'm originally from a big City being regional for so long kind of affects you! We will drive through the mentioned areas tomorrow and see if we can get any kind of feel for them, fingers crossed we do.

I know exactly what your saying about feeling cool down here, I've had my cardigan on all week! But I do like the cooler temps and cooler rain, the kids have been shivering, but they'll survive!

My husband works and lives in charters towers which is stinking hot, and very redneck! We live 2 hours away from him on the Coast, we've met some really lovely friends and I have a job that I love, on the downside I will never come to terms with the things that we see happening that seem normal here. My husband works with all Aussies and so do I. When we originally moved here we didn't come to be surrounded by Brits/Irish and we're not, but I actually think now I wouldn't mind it

Thanks again for all of your help
Old Dec 26th 2014, 10:22 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana we live in the tropics so wanting a cooler climate we're paying $700 a week groceries shop and between $1.45 & $1.60 for petrol, I nearly died of shock seeing how cheap things are elsewhere, I've no idea of uk price comparisons but there's a big difference for us on our everyday expenses and insurance etc. We not moving because we want cheaper, it's just an added bonus
Ah makes sense now you didn't say you were moving from somewhere even hotter than this!
Old Dec 26th 2014, 11:44 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

My husband works and lives in charters towers which is stinking hot, and very redneck! We live 2 hours away from him on the Coast, we've met some really lovely friends and I have a job that I love, on the downside I will never come to terms with the things that we see happening that seem normal here. My husband works with all Aussies and so do I. When we originally moved here we didn't come to be surrounded by Brits/Irish and we're not, but I actually think now I wouldn't mind it

Thanks again for all of your help
When I posted, I was presuming you were still in the UK....now it all makes sense to a red-neck.....

Last edited by The Bloke; Dec 27th 2014 at 12:08 am.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

leah20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I live on the sunshine coast and love it. Yes it can be humid but living near the beach helps. Theres alot to do. Cafes bars parks etc. Great schools too. Not sure about renting as we own ours. But def check out sunny coast its a lot more relaxed than the gold coast