Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Cairns

Queensland Cairns

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all
Thumbs down Re: Queensland Cairns

Originally Posted by sophjam
Visa dreamer! not nice ! just trying to share the info Ive managed to find out from family we all have to make decisions for ourselves in the end. Maybe Im being touchy but Im getting ready to sell up, I just didnt need comments like this today directed at me or not. sorry if ive offended you
dont let them upset you.there seem to be a few people on here today who are intent on being unhelpful and insulting
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Queensland Cairns

Originally Posted by greener_grass
Why not do some research yourselves, most people on here are just visa dreamers most of which will happily give you their opinions from the UK sofa without ever going to Australia. Plenty of posts about Cairns, small not much going on, good place to retire. Hot and humid, OK to holiday but not to live.
Plenty of posts about Cairns,
Yes

small not much going on,
The Cairns local government area has an estimated resident population of 130,594, with a median age of 34 years, and is growing at an average rate of 1.8 per cent.

I dont think 130,000 (2005) is small.

good place to retire.
Cairns is not a retirement place. Most of the retirees in Cairns have lived here for the greater part of their lives. The greater number of retirees can be found along the east coast up to Bundaberg where the climate can be a little more forgiving.

Hot and humid,
Not all the time. Shorts and barefeet in winter is really nice. I was in Melbourne last week and kept asking myself why anyone would put up with the cold.

OK to holiday but not to live
Why not?

I couldnt agrre more about the opinions of the UK sofa lurkers..

WW
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:45 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhhh.....Cairns is boooootifallll aint it ?

Tropical paradise with extras.

You'll be surprised to learn that I like it here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451735
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:51 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

I live here and I like it too but what suits some might be hell for others. People really need to come and see for themselves rather than make a momentous decision based on opinions of people on a forum

What I mean is don't let negative comments put you off, nowhere is perfect.

Last edited by wannabauzzienurse; Aug 23rd 2007 at 11:53 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:56 am
Account Closed

devtrend is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
I live here and I like it too but what suits some might be hell for others. People really need to come and see for themselves rather than make a momentous decision based on opinions of people on a forum

How long have you been there?
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 12:10 pm

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by devtrend
How long have you been there?
8 weeks this time, but I've been here a couple of times in the past
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 12:20 pm

I never understand people who complain about growth and increased traffic etc. It might be a nuisance at certain times of day but traffic in Cairns is nothing compared to most much smaller UK towns.
All this building and bit of extra hustle and bustle is a sign of the booming economy that keeps us all employed, it's all very well wanting to live in a idillic one horse town with a pub and a palm tree but where is the work in those places
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 12:27 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

I never understand people who complain about growth and increased traffic etc. It might be a nuisance at certain times of day but traffic in Cairns is nothing compared to most much smaller UK towns.
All this building and bit of extra hustle and bustle is a sign of the booming economy that keeps us all employed, it's all very well wanting to live in a idillic one horse town with a pub and a palm tree but where is the work in those places
wait until you have lived here a little longer than 8 weeks. you havnt seen how cairns has changed so im surprised that you pass judgement.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by youngy73
wait until you have lived here a little longer than 8 weeks. you havnt seen how cairns has changed so im surprised that you pass judgement.
It's changed enormously since I was last here mostly for the better, 8 weeks might not qualify me to pass judgement but I've lived in the UK long enough to know where I'd rather be.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:40 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Where would you rather live Youngy I suspect Cairns a lot less busy than Newcastle getting to the Strawberry is a nightmare now they have shut off the streets to do up eldon Square.

If you really dont like it anymore where would you rather live,

Kaye
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 9:43 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Very true Anyone in their right mind would not base their future on what a complete stranger says be it good or bad as it is down to your own personal preference. The thought of living in Cairns would send some people running. Others love Perth, others hate it, some people feel trapped in Adelaide others think it is the best place since sliced bread, it is all down to what ticks your boxes.