Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Ambulance Service

Queensland Ambulance Service

Old Jun 4th 2011, 9:46 am
Just Joined

glenweir1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Queensland Ambulance Service

Thankyou so much, that would very much apprecIated. Would be great to have heads up for what to expect You are making the right move, lifestyle is the way forward and no better place to do it. Oh you really are lucky. I am only new to site so will do a few more quotes so can pm you, have to do 3 and this only no 2 lol.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

JenJP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrsbrennan
Hey Glen, I studied my JR Calc, QLD Drug Protocals which are on their website, and ECG's. The interview was unlike any I've ever done in the past, as were the assessments. But the thing I found was that firstly, they were all very nice and really respected the practical scope that we have. Their underpinning knowledge is far superior to anything I have ever experienced but they did say that they are astounded at UK Paramedic's practical experience and how we apply our knowledge in practice. They are there to encourage you and not to slip you up. I slipped up massively on the first interview question, I read it incorrectly. This was brought to my attention half way through my answer and I given the opportunity to pull it back, which I think I did.
I'll pm you with some of the stuff I was taken through. Very best of luck and if you have any further questions, you can pm me back.
Hello

Well done for getting through, i'm just away to send away my application form to QAS! Would you mind sending me a pm with the stuff aswell? Did they mention any other alternative to interviewing in Australia? That's an expensive interview!

Thanks Jennie
Old Jun 11th 2011, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

mrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nice

Originally Posted by JenJP
Hello

Well done for getting through, i'm just away to send away my application form to QAS! Would you mind sending me a pm with the stuff aswell? Did they mention any other alternative to interviewing in Australia? That's an expensive interview!

Thanks Jennie
Just sent you a pm Jennie. They're not offering UK interviews or assessments anymore I'm afraid. I think WAS St. Johns's offer Skype interviews and UK assessments but we wanted to be nearer to everything and all the other cities.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Thank you thats really helpful. Let me know how it goes for you, hopefully I'll get through too
Old Jun 11th 2011, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by glenweir1
Hi there, you lucky girl I have just started the process and am currently at first stage, 6-8 weeks they say then if lucky interview stage. What about interview and assessments, were they difficult? JR Calc based or wider than that. Did you do much studying before you went out??
Hi Glen

I'm just away to send my application to QAS. Let me know how you get on, good luck
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:30 am
Just Joined

circling the drain is an unknown quantity at this point

QAS were absolutely spot on with their timescales. When they say 6-8 weeks they mean it and they are always quick to respond. I'm not trying to sell QAS by any stretch but I do start my induction on the 15th of August after a pretty quick and painless application process. Compare this to NSW where i had an interview middle of last month and I'm still waiting for results. Good luck to those applying anyway.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

SPHYGOFTHEDUMP is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

I am yet another guy looking for advice. I live in Ireland (although I am British)and there is a different setup to UK with regards training to Paramedic level.
UK guys are better trained than us but we have a wider scope of practice than a UK Tech. We are somewhere in the middle!
I am looking to move out to Aus as Ireland is slowly going down the toilet and any advice would be much appreciated. Me and the family really dont mind which state , whichever has the easiest application process!!

Did you guys apply for your visa first or apply for the job first? I know that sounds like a silly question but was just wondering. When qualified here (one year to go) I will have a diploma as opposed to a degree. I take it there is no point applying for anything untill qualified?

Does anyone know of any Paramedics in Aus who were trained in Republic of Ireland? Anyone at all? Are the Irish Paramedics recognised?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 13th 2011, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

crellins is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Just decided to start looking into moving to QAS from UK with family, can anybody tell me what paramedic recruitment is currently like, expected salary, cost of living etc.

I know there was a big recruitment drive but am aware things have slowed down a lot recently.

Sean
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Jamie78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
I am a Qualified Paramedic who has just moved to the Gold Coast with my Aussie wife on a spouse visa.
I am at the interview stage of the application process and will be attending a non clinical interview on october the 12th.
Can anyone give me some advise on what to expect from the clinical exams and the non clinical interveiw ie- questions asked, format of exams, study tips ect.
Any advise would be greatly appriciated.

thanks
Jamie
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:56 am
Just Joined

crellins is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jamie 78

I can only advise you to read this entire thread, it is full of useful info about the whole process.

I have not sent in my application as yet (not ready!) but have been in email contact with QAS recruitment, they are telling me not to even bother applying to work Gold coast up to sunshine coast as its at capacity and that they will only consider your top three choices elsewhere in QLD. So I would be interested in the latest info on that if you know.

Did you get RPL'd at ACP level ?

Good luck with your interview and please let us know how you get on, I am hoping to submit my application around Feb/March 12.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 10:23 am
Just Joined

UKQAS is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't you believe it judging by how many shifts can't be covered. Q6 and Brisbane are understaffed, we have had rucks of people leaving since the new style of management came in.

Originally Posted by crellins

I have not sent in my application as yet (not ready!) but have been in email contact with QAS recruitment, they are telling me not to even bother applying to work Gold coast up to sunshine coast as its at capacity and that they will only consider your top three choices elsewhere in QLD. So I would be interested in the latest info on that if you know.

Did you get RPL'd at ACP level ?

Good luck with your interview and please let us know how you get on, I am hoping to submit my application around Feb/March 12.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Car 115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default QAS post-employment: Living the dream?

Hi,

I’ve only just found this forum and first off just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted. It’s really good to read that heaps of people seem to have the same issues/concerns/questions. I’m at the very early stage of just considering the move to QAS in 2012 and I guess I’ve got it a lot easier as I’m only looking to move about 1000km up the road from Sydney. So unfortunately I’m not a Pom but I was absolutely gutted the frogs beat you guys in the RWC. Hope that counts for something!

I just have a few questions for anyone who has been working for QAS for a while. Did it live up to expectations? Did they keep their word doing what they said they would do? For example, postings and the opportunity to “challenge” to ICP. What is the workload like? Are you happy to have made the move?

The other thing I’d like to do is provide a little information on working in NSW. I’m an ICP/ECP having worked in Sydney for 13 years. Actually, this is one of my concerns about working in Queensland - I go from a senior clinician here to a “No. 2” guy in QAS. How has anyone gone with that?

I read in an earlier post that it is easier to RPL to ICP (Level 5) in NSW and that does seem to be the case. I’ve found the ICPs from the UK to be on par with ICPs in NSW. I actually had a RPL candidate to assess from the UK about five years ago. Unfortunately, she decided not to continue with the process and she was struggling. Only because I don’t think she made a big enough effort to learn the protocols and pharmacologies. That said, she also didn’t like the way the Service is run too. I have to agree. But to be honest, it’s probably no different from your own Service. I’ve found that exercising initiative is largely a fruitless exercise.

But I’m at the point where all I would like to do now is just avoid management and provide the best clinical service I’m capable of. Sydney is also a very expensive place to live, but has a staff of about 1000 ambos. So presumably a position in Sydney should come up sooner or later.

Well, thanks for reading. I’ll keep an eye on this post and try to answer any questions anyone may have. (Please excuse if I’m a bit slow…uni assignment due soon).

Have a safe shift if you’re working and rest assured that ambos on the other side of the world are also groaning at the thought of picking up another pissed idiot tonight. (Unless it’s a workmate, in which case, it’s bloody funny).

Cheers.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 6:07 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QAS post-employment: Living the dream?

Originally Posted by Car 115
Hi,

I’ve only just found this forum and first off just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted. It’s really good to read that heaps of people seem to have the same issues/concerns/questions. I’m at the very early stage of just considering the move to QAS in 2012 and I guess I’ve got it a lot easier as I’m only looking to move about 1000km up the road from Sydney. So unfortunately I’m not a Pom but I was absolutely gutted the frogs beat you guys in the RWC. Hope that counts for something!

I just have a few questions for anyone who has been working for QAS for a while. Did it live up to expectations? Did they keep their word doing what they said they would do? For example, postings and the opportunity to “challenge” to ICP. What is the workload like? Are you happy to have made the move?

The other thing I’d like to do is provide a little information on working in NSW. I’m an ICP/ECP having worked in Sydney for 13 years. Actually, this is one of my concerns about working in Queensland - I go from a senior clinician here to a “No. 2” guy in QAS. How has anyone gone with that?

I read in an earlier post that it is easier to RPL to ICP (Level 5) in NSW and that does seem to be the case. I’ve found the ICPs from the UK to be on par with ICPs in NSW. I actually had a RPL candidate to assess from the UK about five years ago. Unfortunately, she decided not to continue with the process and she was struggling. Only because I don’t think she made a big enough effort to learn the protocols and pharmacologies. That said, she also didn’t like the way the Service is run too. I have to agree. But to be honest, it’s probably no different from your own Service. I’ve found that exercising initiative is largely a fruitless exercise.

But I’m at the point where all I would like to do now is just avoid management and provide the best clinical service I’m capable of. Sydney is also a very expensive place to live, but has a staff of about 1000 ambos. So presumably a position in Sydney should come up sooner or later.

Well, thanks for reading. I’ll keep an eye on this post and try to answer any questions anyone may have. (Please excuse if I’m a bit slow…uni assignment due soon).

Have a safe shift if you’re working and rest assured that ambos on the other side of the world are also groaning at the thought of picking up another pissed idiot tonight. (Unless it’s a workmate, in which case, it’s bloody funny).

Cheers.
Hi

I'm new on here but I have been employed by the QAS for a few years now after relocating from the UK. The worst thing I have struggled with is being downgraded from ICP to ACP. They are supposed to let you 'challenge' within a year but, trust me, they can be very selective shall we say!!! I really tried but they kept saying things like "Oh no, we don't have any spare ICP's as we have loads of students etc etc" and that was the same for a lot of Brits. The SA's on the other hand were all given the opportunity to challenge, a few Poms made it through but they really had to study like mad and push for it. I hated working in Brisbane,the ICP's spoke to us like crap and the nurses at the main hospitals were so rude it was breath taking - never have I experienced such complete and utter unprofessionalism!
I'm now in a remote location and it is fine but I'm really over it and am handing in my notice shortly as I'm going back to the UK,looking forward to getting my skills back and basically not being so p****d off every day. if I had know then what I know now I 'dhave gone to NSW as all my friends who went there were treated far better and they all seem pretty happy with how things have gone. Hope this helps, sorry if it sounds negative but I am just telling you my experiences. They promise you the world but don't deliver so please just get EVERYTHING in writing! good luck tho, hope it works out for you
Old Dec 8th 2011, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Just before you give up...on Oz...
Have you thought of working in the resources sector (mines etc).

I have been offered a job as a mines Nurse/Medic. 6 days on 6 off.
+$110,000 per year. Easy work too!
I am only an RN and the big companies like BMA actually prefer Paramedics.
They pay seriously stupid money...
HKA

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Hi

I'm new on here but I have been employed by the QAS for a few years now after relocating from the UK. The worst thing I have struggled with is being downgraded from ICP to ACP. They are supposed to let you 'challenge' within a year but, trust me, they can be very selective shall we say!!! I really tried but they kept saying things like "Oh no, we don't have any spare ICP's as we have loads of students etc etc" and that was the same for a lot of Brits. The SA's on the other hand were all given the opportunity to challenge, a few Poms made it through but they really had to study like mad and push for it. I hated working in Brisbane,the ICP's spoke to us like crap and the nurses at the main hospitals were so rude it was breath taking - never have I experienced such complete and utter unprofessionalism!
I'm now in a remote location and it is fine but I'm really over it and am handing in my notice shortly as I'm going back to the UK,looking forward to getting my skills back and basically not being so p****d off every day. if I had know then what I know now I 'dhave gone to NSW as all my friends who went there were treated far better and they all seem pretty happy with how things have gone. Hope this helps, sorry if it sounds negative but I am just telling you my experiences. They promise you the world but don't deliver so please just get EVERYTHING in writing! good luck tho, hope it works out for you
Old Dec 8th 2011, 6:41 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
Just before you give up...on Oz...
Have you thought of working in the resources sector (mines etc).

I have been offered a job as a mines Nurse/Medic. 6 days on 6 off.
+$110,000 per year. Easy work too!
I am only an RN and the big companies like BMA actually prefer Paramedics.
They pay seriously stupid money...
HKA
Hi Holly

Thanks so much for your kind reply, much appreciated! I guess I am just really missing my family atm as I came here on my own. I love Australia but homesickness is a horrible feeling. I am actually going to be working as an offshore medic in the UK funny enough - like you say, good money and easy too! I might return to Oz in the future tho, who knows? Good luck with your new job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.