QUEENSLAND

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

paulo673 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default QUEENSLAND

i am currently trying to join queensland fire service at present level.i am 41 so really it would be nice to do rest of service and live work abroad,15 years to do yet.

how is the culture change? and are you accepted by locals.i basically would be on fire station so hopefully make friends at work and find gym for like minded buddies into bodybuilding/strength training,long as i ahve a social circle i think id be fine

also how long does it take for acclimitisation? as i would maybe find it too hot initially

regarding ecnomy-its all bad news here,recession etc and cuts in fire service so be great to work and live in a positive environment

Last edited by paulo673; Nov 23rd 2009 at 4:17 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:42 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: QUEENSLAND

Would think you would be reasonable well accepted as most Gov jobs now have a fair percentage of English and the Queensland Fire Service will have probably followed suit.

If you did some general outdoor fitness stuff before you are accepted that's similar to whatever level you need to reach in UK, you should acclimitise fairly quickly it's just the humidity that's sometimes a killer in summer.

Aus is on the up again, economy never crashed as much as UK.

Originally Posted by paulo673
i am currently trying to join queensland fire service at present level.i am 41 so really it would be nice to do rest of service and live work abroad,15 years to do yet.

how is the culture change? and are you accepted by locals.i basically would be on fire station so hopefully make friends at work and find gym for like minded buddies into bodybuilding/strength training,long as i ahve a social circle i think id be fine

also how long does it take for acclimitisation? as i would maybe find it too hot initially

regarding ecnomy-its all bad news here,recession etc and cuts in fire service so be great to work and live in a positive environment
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

thanks for that
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

TrollToy is an unknown quantity at this point

The economy is still running strong in Oz as has been said. How well have you checked out the work situation. Fireman is a well sought job due to good conditions and working hours usually allow people to run two jobs.

As far as the climate goes, that depends where yo end up. Qld is a big place. Down south it is sub-tropical environment, but up north it is definitely tropical and the humidity in those areas might be very difficult for a Scott. In Brisbane Summers can still be quite uncomfortable. However the natives a friendly outdoor type and will accept you readily providing you can laugh at yourself and don't complain about things not being the same as home.

Good Luck.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

trolltoy thanks for reply,i will be going as station officer,as thats my role/experience and qualifications.

i would prefer Brisbane that area would be my ideal for relocation,fancy outdoorsy life surf etc
Old Nov 24th 2009, 5:15 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulo673
trolltoy thanks for reply,i will be going as station officer,as thats my role/experience and qualifications.

i would prefer Brisbane that area would be my ideal for relocation,fancy outdoorsy life surf etc
Plenty of suburbs North and South that will increase your options and if you forgo the surf could even go west Brisbane.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

To get into QFRS is extremely difficult. To get in at your age is extremely difficult but to get in at your current level is as near as dammit impossible I'm afraid to say.

It's unlikely you'll get a transfer, QFRS only open their books to new people a couple of times a year and will not want your experience because it's not Queensland experience. They much prefer taking young untrained recruits who they can train their way. They are not even keen on taking qualified firefighters from other states unfortunately.

My husband had been in the Brigade for 20 years and he didn't stand a chance of getting in over here, they're just not interested.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but never say never, you may get in, but seriously, no way will you get in at your current level and the workings of the QFRS is completely different to any Brigade in the UK.

Good luck though, hope you are one of the exceptions that prove the rule.