Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QUARANTINE-VISITING PETS

QUARANTINE-VISITING PETS

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:00 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute
Default QUARANTINE-VISITING PETS

My 2 schnauzers fly out 26 Jan & I was in 2 minds about whether it would be a good idea to see them in quarantine re falsely raising their hopes of "escape" etc.

However, having read the terribly sad post about Sydney the lab along with other members' stories re pets being ill or insufficiently fed I will definitely be visiting. At least that way I will be able to check on general health/weight and hopefully smuggle in some extra (decent) grub for them.

Luckily I will be based near enough to the station to be able to do so though I know others are not always as fortunate. It's a real shame that after paying so much to get our faithful friends to Aus plus the stress of flying and unfamiliarity on the animals that we have this extra worry.

Best of luck to all pets and owners!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: QUARANTINE-VISITING PETS

We visited our dog after 2 weeks and were really glad we did. We had to fly down from Brisbane to Eastern Creek and visited a couple of times.

We found the staff excellent and friendly. Its such a shame to read a tragic story but I dont think it happens often. We went back on a day when it was not so busy and were allowed an exercise yard for 45 minutes.

There is no choice really apart from leaving your dog behind.

Best of luck, Mick
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold

If I could do it again, I would move into a backpacker hostel in Kings Cross just to be able to check on my dogs.

Bear in mind that Eastern Creek only allow visiting three times a week, and nothing over xmas until 2nd Jan, so I have been torturing myself cos I cannot be there.

Yes it will cause stress when you have to leave, to both of you. But it will put your mind at rest and your pet will know you are still around.

I know it is so tough, but have faith. We think Syd died not of something he contracted at Quarantine, and my suggestion would be to take in a bottle of Bach Rescue Remedy and spray it into your dogs mouth every time you are there.

If you need to talk, I am here.

Sending you much love and wishing you and your your loved one(s) a safe journey. It will be worth it.

A xxx
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

We had to put our dogs in a local kennel for 2 weeks after they came out of quarantine. We negotiated with the owner to collect them and take them out. They were so stressed and upset when we took them back that after the 2nd time we decided it was too cruel to keep putting them through that. They couldn't understand that we were going to be coming back.

The kennel owner told us after the first time that the little dog had cried and barked into the early hours of teh morning and th ebig one was going crazy bouncing round the perimeter of teh exercise yard trying to escape, obviously to find us.

I was heart broken and wished we hadnt visited.

There are 2 sides to it and only you can decide what is best for your dogs.

By the way we used to have 2 miniature schnauzers, they are great little dogs
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:41 am
We Have Arrived!

Jodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JoolsB
My 2 schnauzers fly out 26 Jan & I was in 2 minds about whether it would be a good idea to see them in quarantine re falsely raising their hopes of "escape" etc.

However, having read the terribly sad post about Sydney the lab along with other members' stories re pets being ill or insufficiently fed I will definitely be visiting. At least that way I will be able to check on general health/weight and hopefully smuggle in some extra (decent) grub for them.

Luckily I will be based near enough to the station to be able to do so though I know others are not always as fortunate. It's a real shame that after paying so much to get our faithful friends to Aus plus the stress of flying and unfamiliarity on the animals that we have this extra worry.

Just an aside think its a great idea to visit if you can wish we could have- I arranged a delivery of food to the station for my dog from a local supplier (as she tells me she has a delicate constitution steak and chips seem fine though) she has a delicate tummy and it can cause her to have diorrhea on canned or wheat based food. She is such a princess and loved to death.

Fingers crossed for all children going into quarrantine everywhere....

Jodie
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold

Oh Tracey,

That is exactly what I feared would happen to our two (one).

My heart goes out for you - what the hell do you do? They are your kids for Gods sake.

In the RSPCA I have seen dogs go stir crazy in kennels, others settle in fine. Like Syd did, believe it or not - fed twice a day, yipppppeeeeeeee! Kennel maid here - yeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Oh, I wish I could help you all and I send my love and hugs to everyone going thru this dilemma.

a xx
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:17 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

It is indeed a dilemma

If only they had webcams in the kennels so we could keep a remote eye on them!

Thanks Allie for your good wishes at what is a very sad time time for you. Labs are such open, friendly dogs who show love to everyone which makes a big difference but I know many breeds are more nervy.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

barney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant future

We visited our dog at Spotswood, Melbourne (who were great) twice a week as this is all they allow. I think it would have been harder on my dog if we hadn't visited him and he just loved the visits. Leaving him after each visit was worse on me than him - but we decided to take him to Australia so it was part of our deal IMO. Plus he isn't a good eater and doesn't eat dog food, so we took his food in with us to ensure he ate something. I don't know about other quarantine stations, but Spotswood allow you to leave food for your pet in their fridge/freezers.

I admit it wasn't cheap as once a week we flew from Adelaide to Melbourne and then a few nights in a hotel. But he is worth it!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barney41
I admit it wasn't cheap as once a week we flew from Adelaide to Melbourne and then a few nights in a hotel. But he is worth it!
Yes, but your dog is even more spoilt than ours
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:36 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoolsB

Dont worry, the stories that have appeared on BE , whilst tragic are a small , very small proportion of dog movements and Q'tine in Oz.

Eastern Creek is a superb centre.

Australians, are very much aware of nearly all breeds if not all. So a snauzer aint gonna phase them, or present any major concerns.

The only issue you may find, at Eastern Creek is that the centre gets a tad overly concerned of any non-normal behavious and contact you immediately, well in our experience that is the case.

Also be aware of wet spot, this time of year can present itself in tight haired breeds.

Ste
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

lickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to all

Originally Posted by barney41
We visited our dog at Spotswood, Melbourne (who were great) twice a week as this is all they allow. I think it would have been harder on my dog if we hadn't visited him and he just loved the visits. Leaving him after each visit was worse on me than him - but we decided to take him to Australia so it was part of our deal IMO. Plus he isn't a good eater and doesn't eat dog food, so we took his food in with us to ensure he ate something. I don't know about other quarantine stations, but Spotswood allow you to leave food for your pet in their fridge/freezers.

Hi, my little dog Penny arrives on friday 8th feb into spotswood. She is 16 and I have been having sleepless nights for weeks, actually feel sick at the moment. Please god she makes it. I am going to stay in Melbourne and visit as much as poss, can you recommend a cheapish hotel near the railway station?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

barney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lickylady
Hi, my little dog Penny arrives on friday 8th feb into spotswood. She is 16 and I have been having sleepless nights for weeks, actually feel sick at the moment. Please god she makes it. I am going to stay in Melbourne and visit as much as poss, can you recommend a cheapish hotel near the railway station?
Hi, the two hotels we stayed in that are near the railway station were Batman's Hill which is right outside the Southern Cross station and the other was the Atlantis which is very close by and much cheaper. We stayed in the Atlantis for around $100 per night and the internet service in the room was really cheap too (compared to other hotels we have stayed in) try the wotif.com.au website for special deals.

I thought the staff at Spotswood were really nice and seemed to care about your pets, so she should be fine.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:00 pm
South Yarra Sheila

Originally Posted by lickylady
Hi, I know whatever anyone says you will still worry as I do but I'm sure Penny will be fine. Airpets told me that the dogs normally snooze thru the flight and that it's us owners who suffer more! Buster & Alfie arrived safely & have now been at Spotswood for just over a week. The staff are brilliant-really friendly and attentive.

Buster had a small seizure last week an hour after our 2nd visit (caused by the excitement we think) & their carer called us straight away and got the vet in immediately who, after pronouncing him fit & healthy, still took them both into hospital overnight for observation and a dose of valium for Buster. The vet even called us the Sunday after for a chat.

My cousin shipped her dog a couple of years back-he was about 10 & not in the best of health and again they took really good care of him. She couldn't visit as she was still in UK but they were happy for her to call & check up on a daily basis.

You can visit twice a week-best to go in the afternoon as you can stay longer. There are grassy exercise runs you can take them into-we normally take a blanket to sit on and some nice snacks and make it into a bit of a picnic

Keep us informed how Penny goes-I might even bump into you there as our 2 are in 'til 28 Feb
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

lickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to all

Thank you so much for your comments. There are more positive reviews on here for bringing older dogs than negative. So 2 more sleeps and I will see her. Will let you know hows she going.x