Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QUARANTINE - OUR DOG HAS DIED

QUARANTINE - OUR DOG HAS DIED

Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hsherriff will become famous soon enoughHsherriff will become famous soon enough
Default Re: QUARANTINE - OUR DOG HAS DIED

I am very sorry for you and your families loss. I know it is very hard tim for you just now but I assure you it will get better. I lost my beautiful Misha 3years ago. She was 10. Now I have to lovely mad dogs who we will take with us to Perth.
My Mother had two dogs boarding at a kennel in Uk and there was a storm and the kennels which were at bottom of a hill flooded. One of her dogs drowned the other survived. 5 dogs died in total . It was a freek accident although the kennel owner was negligent we believe. Anyway it was a terrible time for us all and Pepper the surviving dog now is sacred of loud noises and he missed Susie for a long time after. I think he prob still does.
I think its going to be a very emotional time for you just take each day at a time. Its unfortunate that the Kennel is not keeping in contact with you, maybe they have been instructed not to discuss the case or maybe they just dont know what to say.
I hope you get all the answers you want. xxxxxx

Has anyone had experience with Dogs in the Perth kennels and how did you find it..?
Old Feb 10th 2008, 5:49 pm
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

Don't think she uses the site any more. Good luck with the move though.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

cas3 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know about Spotswood in Melbourne. My dogs fly out on Tuesday and i am worried sick about them. I don't arrive until the following week and will be in Adelaide. Paraken..my brother lost Toby as some of you will have read at Brisbane airport when his crate fell off the truck..this has only added to my anxiety. I won't be able to visit and this worries me even more.
Cas
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

cathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cas3
Does anyone know about Spotswood in Melbourne. My dogs fly out on Tuesday and i am worried sick about them. I don't arrive until the following week and will be in Adelaide. Paraken..my brother lost Toby as some of you will have read at Brisbane airport when his crate fell off the truck..this has only added to my anxiety. I won't be able to visit and this worries me even more.
Cas
Hi,
Well I can only talk about Eastern Creek Quarantine(Sydney). I have just got my 2 girls back from there. They were onward transported by Jetpets to Hobart on saturday and I can recommend them.

They are in great condition, a little thinner maybe and have picked up a habit of whineing for attention (which I will soon cure them of!). I worried just like you do, I couldn't visit them either , a friend saw them once for me and said they were fine so I didn't even ring the quarantine station about them, I just put my trust in them....

Cathy
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:06 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Cas
When I first made the steps to export my cat I never even gave it a second thought about the flight/quarantine.

Now we are 3 weeks away and I am worried sick myself. I am worried about how Gordon will cope with the flight, how he will be treated in Quarantine and how he will cope.

His eyes get a bit watery when hes stressed, he had flu as a kitten and hes fine now, has all his jabs but I am worried about him - I cant help it.

He is very naughty and destructive and Im scared he will eat/destroy something when hes there and make himself ill.

Dear oh dear, I have become a fussy owner.

Any experiences of Byford would be good.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:38 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm so very sorry for you. Our dog died two weeks ago - he was 16 and loved very much. We are so very, very sad but we were with him and he had a good, long life. I can't begin to understand how desperately sad you must be feeling in view of the circumstances and his young age. At least he had his buddy with him. God bless.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:42 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Any experiences of Byford would be good.
Our experience of Byford was great Both my cat and dog were fine.

My cat flew out at the ripe old age of 14 and I was worried how she would cope with it all, but she coped with everything fine (much better than my OH did ). On visiting days she would just be lounging in the sunshine on the top deck in her pen and wouldnt even be bothered to come and say hello .... so she was obviously quite content.

The dog was fine too ... on visiting days we would take him into the excersise pens and he would race around with the kids. The first time was heart wrenching as I just wanted to take him home with us. I thought there is noway he would go back in his kennel but he did and he was obviously quite settled as he was fatter than when he went in and I was hoping that he would lose some weight

The staff were always really nice and friendly and the days I didnt visit I would ring just to make sure all was well and they were always happy to call me back once they had checked with the relevant carers how they were.

I know it is easier said than done but try not to worry ... Im sure Gordon will charm them all with his antics
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:38 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sel
Our experience of Byford was great Both my cat and dog were fine.

My cat flew out at the ripe old age of 14 and I was worried how she would cope with it all, but she coped with everything fine (much better than my OH did ). On visiting days she would just be lounging in the sunshine on the top deck in her pen and wouldnt even be bothered to come and say hello .... so she was obviously quite content.

The dog was fine too ... on visiting days we would take him into the excersise pens and he would race around with the kids. The first time was heart wrenching as I just wanted to take him home with us. I thought there is noway he would go back in his kennel but he did and he was obviously quite settled as he was fatter than when he went in and I was hoping that he would lose some weight

The staff were always really nice and friendly and the days I didnt visit I would ring just to make sure all was well and they were always happy to call me back once they had checked with the relevant carers how they were.

I know it is easier said than done but try not to worry ... Im sure Gordon will charm them all with his antics

I totally second this. Our experience of Byford was great, they fussed over my 16 year old cat and nothing was too much trouble. Very nice people indeed.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Our lab came through Eastern Creek last year, and whilst I'm sure he didn't enjoy it very much he came out the same healthy, happy dog that he was when he went in. We were able to ring the carer on her mobile to arrange visiting times, and when we went in she was able to tell us all about how he had been behaving - like playing with his automatically re-filling water bowl to make it squirt, and being the only dog that would sit outside in the rain. I felt that he was cared for quite adequately and given everything he needed to get through the quarantine period.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Cas
I have a japanese Akita, and she was in spotswood for 28 days......not ideal to leave them anywhere for that long, but needs must.....

They are looked after, but as they are so busy, they do not get a lot of personal attention. The warden told me that they just cant get too attached to individual dogs, as they'd never get any work done...bit like a school I guess!

Anyway, you can visit them. I'd recommend going to visit your pet, take treats and an item of clothing that smells of you....also gave them extra vitamins for peps as dogs sometimes pine, and get a bit run down.
She was like my shadow for about a week after we collected her, but has settled down really well. Dont worry about your dog, they are more likely to pick up on that....
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz
I have a japanese Akita, and she was in spotswood for 28 days......not ideal to leave them anywhere for that long, but needs must.....

They are looked after, but as they are so busy, they do not get a lot of personal attention. The warden told me that they just cant get too attached to individual dogs, as they'd never get any work done...bit like a school I guess!

Anyway, you can visit them. I'd recommend going to visit your pet, take treats and an item of clothing that smells of you....also gave them extra vitamins for peps as dogs sometimes pine, and get a bit run down.
She was like my shadow for about a week after we collected her, but has settled down really well. Dont worry about your dog, they are more likely to pick up on that....
sorry, just realised you cant visit......express mail your goodies and clothing with your smell.........that way your dog will know you are about somewhere.....maybe send something every week? we were unable to see peps for 3 weeks, but all of the above helped her. xxx
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

cas3 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz
sorry, just realised you cant visit......express mail your goodies and clothing with your smell.........that way your dog will know you are about somewhere.....maybe send something every week? we were unable to see peps for 3 weeks, but all of the above helped her. xxx
Thank you so much for your replies......still worried. Bracken knows something is happening hes barely left my side. Missy on the other hand is typically independant..though there has been lots of ear nudging going on between them. Hopefully they will reassure each other. A sleepless night i think...then a morning of walking to wear them out before they are taken to the airport. Everyone who walks dogs in our local area wants to say good bye.
Cas
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you so much for your replies......still worried. Bracken knows something is happening hes barely left my side. Missy on the other hand is typically independant..though there has been lots of ear nudging going on between them. Hopefully they will reassure each other. A sleepless night i think...then a morning of walking to wear them out before they are taken to the airport. Everyone who walks dogs in our local area wants to say good bye.
Cas

good luck cas, stay positive, you will all be fine. You're going to have a fab timexxxxx
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold
Red face Re: QUARANTINE - OUR DOG HAS DIED

Hiya .

I am still here on the site!!

This is just a really painful subject for me - we are in the midst of grieving for one dog, who died at Eastern Creek on 21 Dec.

And now we are going back home, I have to put my remaining dog thru another 12,000 mile trek. Again.

So forgive me for not participating in the discussions -

My heart is with everyone who is going thru pets/quarantine etc.

Our experience was very rare I know, but It's very raw and painful.

A xx
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:30 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alliekate
Hiya .

I am still here on the site!!

This is just a really painful subject for me - we are in the midst of grieving for one dog, who died at Eastern Creek on 21 Dec.

And now we are going back home, I have to put my remaining dog thru another 12,000 mile trek. Again.

So forgive me for not participating in the discussions -

My heart is with everyone who is going thru pets/quarantine etc.

Our experience was very rare I know, but It's very raw and painful.

A xx
But you started the thread ya dillpickle !!!

as many other threads you started ( similarly veined )!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.