Reload this Page >

Quantity Surveyor/Contract Administrator Opportunities

Quantity Surveyor/Contract Administrator Opportunities

Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

djdrewery is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Searching for Quantity Surveyor/Contract Administrator Opportunities

Hi

This is my first post on British Expats. I hope somebody can give me some useful tips. I have decided to follow my dream to try and work abroad. I am arriving in Australia in March 2012 on a mission to find employment. First stop Melbourne, then Sydney, Perth and wherever else has employment opportunities.

I have two degrees, a Masters in Quantity Surveying and a BA (Hons) in International Business Studies.

If anybody has any tips or has been in a similar position then please let me know

Thanks Again

Dominic

Last edited by djdrewery; Oct 21st 2011 at 8:58 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:12 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Searching for Quantity Surveyor/Contract Administrator Opportunities

Originally Posted by djdrewery
Hi

This is my first post on British Expats. I hope somebody can give me some useful tips. I have decided to follow my dream to try and work abroad. I am arriving in Australia in March 2012 on a mission to find employment. First stop Melbourne, then Sydney, Perth and wherever else has employment opportunities.

I have two degrees, a Masters in Quantity Surveying and a BA (Hons) in International Business Studies.

If anybody has any tips or has been in a similar position then please let me know

Thanks Again

Dominic
You have a visa for Australia?
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Searching for Quantity Surveyor/Contract Administrator Opportunities

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
You have a visa for Australia?
Hi Turban Explorer, Thank you for replying.

Yes I have a Work Holiday Visa, I understand this entitles me to work for an employer for a maximum of 6 months. I hope this is not a negative and in an ideal world, the plan would be to impress and gain sponsorship. What are your thoughts?
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:29 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have a Work Holiday Visa, I understand this entitles me to work for an employer for a maximum of 6 months. I hope this is not a negative and in an ideal world, the plan would be to impress and gain sponsorship. What are your thoughts?
I think you'll be doing some bar work, maybe some fruit picking and going home at the end of your year.

If you truly want to work in your chosen career in Australia then apply for the correct visa and come over on a WHV while you wait. It's not easy for professionals to get employment in their field when they're only able to work for an employer for 6 months without sponsorship.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:33 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Try seek.com, career.one for jobs? Apologies but I don't know much about your area of work - probably someone will come along with some expertise soon. I imagine the big cities will be your best bet though
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Try seek.com, career.one for jobs? Apologies but I don't know much about your area of work - probably someone will come along with some expertise soon. I imagine the big cities will be your best bet though
Thank you for your advice the both of you.

I have only got the WHV because I am coming over alone and unsure of how I will adapt to the country. I would also like to point out that I am not a backpacker so the old fruit picking will not be an option.

Thanks Turban Explorer, Im keeping a close eye on these sites and adding recruiters on linkedin as i go. I am getting mixed messages from them about my chances but I am willing to take the risk. With 4 years experience I should have a shot and I have found quite a few temporary contract positions available.

Cheers
Old Oct 21st 2011, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quantity Surveyor/Contract Administrator Opportunities

Do you have work experience in these fields?

If you do, then if things go your way it is possible that you will find a job on the WHV and if they like you sponsorship may follow.

On the other hand, you might find it hard to secure a professional position on a WHV, it would be off-putting to many employers.

If you are serious about wanting to work abroad and are not just after a good life experience, then personally I think your approach is a gamble. There are far better visas for skilled migrants, they require a bit more effort up front, but well worth it in my opinion.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 11:58 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Further to the posts above, a significant part of the gamble is that at this point in time you can fulfil DIACs work experience requirements for permanent migration (12 months full time skilled work in the last 24). I have no idea which group do the skill assessment for your occupation but they may also have work experience requirements.

If you come on a WHV and struggle to find work?, you could shoot yourself in the foot by not having sufficient skilled work exp if you wished to stay and try for PR.

Might be ok for employer sponsored but something to be aware of.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 12:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Do you have work experience in these fields?

If you do, then if things go your way it is possible that you will find a job on the WHV and if they like you sponsorship may follow.

On the other hand, you might find it hard to secure a professional position on a WHV, it would be off-putting to many employers.

If you are serious about wanting to work abroad and are not just after a good life experience, then personally I think your approach is a gamble. There are far better visas for skilled migrants, they require a bit more effort up front, but well worth it in my opinion.
Thank you for your post Bermudashorts

Yes I am 28years Old and have worked as a QS/Contract Administrator for the past 4 years. I am thoroughly aware that it is a gamble. I originally looked into getting a better visa but took the decision to first get the WHV. Moving without family and friends is obviously a big thing and who knows how I will cope, so the WHV was the best option for me, for now...
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your post Bermudashorts

Yes I am 28years Old and have worked as a QS/Contract Administrator for the past 4 years. I am thoroughly aware that it is a gamble. I originally looked into getting a better visa but took the decision to first get the WHV. Moving without family and friends is obviously a big thing and who knows how I will cope, so the WHV was the best option for me, for now...
Why don't you hedge your bets, and look into getting a skills assessment before you come over. That way if you find it hard to get a break, and decide to go down the PR route, you'll have the hard part of the application done.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Why don't you hedge your bets, and look into getting a skills assessment before you come over. That way if you find it hard to get a break, and decide to go down the PR route, you'll have the hard part of the application done.
Good advice.