Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quality of financial advice available- is it difficult to emigrate later on in life

Quality of financial advice available- is it difficult to emigrate later on in life

Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

hobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nice
Default Discussion on exchange rates and implications of Permanent Residency

I have been considering going PR for some time ( I'm on 457 ) whereby you are NOT taxed on worldwide income so if you rent your UK home out you are not taxed on income. Of course, the exchange rate being what it is, I don't transfer monies across. WhenI arrived the exchange rate was 2.5.

I just received a report from a chartered accountant about the changes to taxation if I become PR. I am not wealthy, approaching retirement and with little in way of pension now. I dont have the report in front of me as I write this . it was depressing reading. doom and gloom all the way. Capital gains tax everywhere. I read an article somewhere that the downside to emigrating to OZ was the punitive tax measure for expats. My experience is that financiers here try to encourage you sell UK assets so that you can buy Aussie assets. This is ok, I think, if you are starting out in life or are dead cert you want to spend the rest of your life here. But what if most of your life is in UK, you move your assets here at a diabolical exchange rate, the exchange rate improves in 10 years time, goes back to 2.5, then you have to transfer your assets back to UK so that you can retire in UK. When I asked about healthcare in retirement , the accountant said that people pay for healthcare insurance out of their savings ( extremely long waiting lists in public sector and reports of poorly
trained doctors and lack of care consistency) Surely, in retirement, healthcare provision is number one priority so really why would an accountant encourage me to transfer my UK assets here??!!. I am not a financial person ( although. I do heaps of research ) so,is there something that I'm not getting????? There a threads about people coming here to retire.

Can I maintain a decent standard of living here whilst leaving assets in Uk or are the tax implications too punitive? Perhaps they arent that punitive but I'm being misinformed as a strategy to encourage me to transfer assets here . Who knows?

I would be very interested in hearing from members who have faced this dilemma during the exchange rate ' lean' years and or when cost of living in Australia is high and housing prices reportedly highly inflated so few incentives to buy. What advice have you been given? Did you keep hold of UK assets just in case you wanted to retire in Uk? Is there an age whereby unless you are wealthy, you can't afford to emigrate here? Did you keep UK assets then down the line, regret the decision?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Discussion on exchange rates and implications of Permanent Residency

I don't really get your tax on worldwide income issue. Don't you pay tax on income wherever it is? i.e. you would either pay it here or in UK but never both?

What capital gains tax are you thinking you might need to pay?

We moved 18 months ago when it was not a good time to either sell up or transfer capital. So we left everything in the UK, yes I pay tax on rental income, so be it, tax is a fact of life and if you have income then it is usually taxed and I don't see why that is punitive.

I understand the dilemma about moving everything over now at a rubbish rate but then finding you want to go back to the Uk at some point and by then the rate is back up. It is partly why we did not move funds over too, however we are not approaching retirement (38 and 41) and so we are just starting again here.

I feel a little troubled by the tone of your email. You have sought financial advice but it seems to have left you even more confused which is not a sign of quality financial advice. Somebody does seem to be wanting to scare you into doing something that you don't want to do. I cannot recommend anyone, but can I suggest you take a second opinion and find another advisor to talk things through with you.

Good luck.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Discussion on exchange rates and implications of Permanent Residency

Originally Posted by hobbis
I

My experience is that financiers here try to encourage you sell UK assets so that you can buy Aussie assets.
The reason they encourage you to sell UK assets is prehaps because then they can make money out of you by transferring these funds to Oz and then reinvesting them for you. Their are some GOOD advisors but their are also some BAD ones as well and it seems to me pot luck which you get.

I've retired and still have assets in UK and NZ and by knowing the tax rules I avoid paying tax in the UK (Keep capital gains below 10,000 pounds and income below 7,000) and no UK tax liability.

You have to declare this in Oz and pay tax on it but their are ways to legally minimise this tax in Oz.

Put $50,000 into sup and only pay tax on it of 15% (providing you are over 55). You just need to research the tax situation in the different countries.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

hobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nice

Both very helpful - thank you. I'll certainly take on board your comments.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 2:17 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you consider investing in UK property, and gearing up to finance the purchase?

* You can negatively gear a UK property when you are a tax resident of Australia and hold a permanent residency visa.

* Any capital gain arising on disposal can be discounted by one-half.

* A UK£ denominated borrowing that is taken out to finance the investment and that increases in amount in A$ terms between the date it is taken out and the date it is redeemed should generate a forex loss which you can offset against your assessable income. It is also a hedge against the currency moving against you.

As an example:

- Property in the UK is acquired in March 2012 for £200,000

- Acquired by way of £80,000 of personal monies and £120,000 of local (ie UK£) borrowing on an interest only basis

- Exchange rate at time of purchase: A$1 = £0.6667, or £1 = A$1.50

- Cost base of property for CGT purposes: A$300,000

- A$ equivalent of local borrowing: A$180,000

- Property sold in June 2013 for the same amount as purchase price, ie £200,000

- Exchange rate at time of sale: A$1 = £0.50, or £1 = A$2.00

- Sale proceeds are therefore A$400,000

- Local borrowing of £120,000 redeemed on sale, now equivalent to A$240,000

- Capital gain is A$100,000, which is discounted (as property has been owned for more than 12 months) to give a discounted gain of A$50,000

- The foreign currency loss on the local borrowing is A$60,000. This is not discounted.

=> Overall result: net cash of A$100,000, with a balance of the forex loss equal to A$10,000 available to offset

Maybe run this past your accountant - or send me a PM or email (click on my name to the left of this post).

Best regards.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 2:38 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

I have been considering going PR for some time ( I'm on 457 ) whereby you are NOT taxed on worldwide income so if you rent your UK home out you are not taxed on income. Of course, the exchange rate being what it is, I don't transfer monies across. WhenI arrived the exchange rate was 2.5.

I just received a report from a chartered accountant about the changes to taxation if I become PR. I am not wealthy, approaching retirement and with little in way of pension now. I dont have the report in front of me as I write this . it was depressing reading. doom and gloom all the way. Capital gains tax everywhere. I read an article somewhere that the downside to emigrating to OZ was the punitive tax measure for expats. My experience is that financiers here try to encourage you sell UK assets so that you can buy Aussie assets. This is ok, I think, if you are starting out in life or are dead cert you want to spend the rest of your life here. But what if most of your life is in UK, you move your assets here at a diabolical exchange rate, the exchange rate improves in 10 years time, goes back to 2.5, then you have to transfer your assets back to UK so that you can retire in UK. When I asked about healthcare in retirement , the accountant said that people pay for healthcare insurance out of their savings ( extremely long waiting lists in public sector and reports of poorly
trained doctors and lack of care consistency) Surely, in retirement, healthcare provision is number one priority so really why would an accountant encourage me to transfer my UK assets here??!!. I am not a financial person ( although. I do heaps of research ) so,is there something that I'm not getting????? There a threads about people coming here to retire.

Can I maintain a decent standard of living here whilst leaving assets in Uk or are the tax implications too punitive? Perhaps they arent that punitive but I'm being misinformed as a strategy to encourage me to transfer assets here . Who knows?

I would be very interested in hearing from members who have faced this dilemma during the exchange rate ' lean' years and or when cost of living in Australia is high and housing prices reportedly highly inflated so few incentives to buy. What advice have you been given? Did you keep hold of UK assets just in case you wanted to retire in Uk? Is there an age whereby unless you are wealthy, you can't afford to emigrate here? Did you keep UK assets then down the line, regret the decision?
Hobbis, I didnt know that when you're have PR you dont pay tax on worldwide income, are there any conditions to that ie how many properties you are allowed or how much you are allowed to earn whether on properties or as an employee.
Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2012, 3:22 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I think hobbis didn't put his brackets in the right place ... I think it should read:

(I'm on 457 whereby you are NOT taxed on worldwide income so if you rent your UK home out you are not taxed on income)

Best regards.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 3:29 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
I think hobbis didn't put his brackets in the right place ... I think it should read:

(I'm on 457 whereby you are NOT taxed on worldwide income so if you rent your UK home out you are not taxed on income)

Best regards.
sorry for sounding dumb, but if i'm on a 457 therefore not paying tax on rent for UK home in Aus, however do I still pay tax in UK for profits on income on rent or because I am temp living elsewhere in the world I don't pay anything?
Old Feb 18th 2012, 4:21 pm
Migration Agent

Hi Emma.

Consider the UK and Australia separately.

In the UK: you remain entitled to a UK personal allowance if you are a UK citizen, whether or not you are a resident.

This means that for any UK tax year if you have no other UK income other than rental income you will not pay any UK tax if the rental income (after deducting allowable expenses, such as mortgage interest, letting agent fees, etc) is less than the UK personal allowance.

In Australia: on a subclass 457 visa you are not subject to Aus tax on UK source rental income.

=> Overall, you may not pay tax anywhere on your rental income if you are living and working in Australia as the holder of a subclass 457 visa.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 4:23 pm
Migration Agent

PS. Maybe request the Moving Overseas and Letting factsheet here:
http://www.gmtax.com.au/tax-factsheets/
Old Feb 19th 2012, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

You are quite right about the brackets Alan and the post should read 'not taxed on rental income here in Australia 'but of course subject to UK tax. Thanks for helpful advice.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs down Quality of financial advice available- is it difficult to emigrate later on in life

I am considering going PR ( I'm on 457 ) . Of course, the exchange rate being what it is, I don't transfer monies across. WhenI arrived the exchange rate was 2.5.

I just received a report from a chartered accountant about the changes to taxation if I become PR. I am not wealthy, approaching retirement and with little in way of pension now. I don't have the report in front of me as I write this.I read an article somewhere that the downside to emigrating to OZ are the punitive tax measure for expats. My experience is that financiers here try to encourage you sell UK assets so that you can buy Aussie assets. This is ok, I think, if you are starting out in life or are dead cert you want to spend the rest of your life here. But what if most of your life is in UK, you move your assets here at a diabolical exchange rate, the exchange rate improves in 10 years time, goes back to 2.5, then you have to transfer your assets back to UK so that you can retire in UK. When I asked about healthcare in retirement , the accountant said that people pay for healthcare insurance out of their savings ( extremely long waiting lists in public sector and reports of poorly

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 7:09 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quality of financial advice available- is it difficult to emigrate later on in li

I am considering going PR ( I'm on 457 ) . Of course, the exchange rate being what it is, I don't transfer monies across. WhenI arrived the exchange rate was 2.5.
Didn't you already ask this on another thread?
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quality of financial advice available- is it difficult to emigrate later on in li

You posted this (similar) last week.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Correct , consulted with a friend, and changed the title to reflect more accurately the type of discussion I'm trying to generate. Replies so far have been helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.