Reload this Page >

Qualifying for citzenship after obtaining visa

Qualifying for citzenship after obtaining visa

Old Oct 19th 2003, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

MikeF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qualifying for citzenship after obtaining visa

Hi,

could I get some help please. I have been looking into emmigrating to Australia as a under the skilled migrant category. I know that you have 1 year to get out there to validate the visa and then four years to return back and three years to qualify for citzenship. What does this last bit mean ? What do you have to prove to qualify for citzenship once you have got your visa and validated it ? Is it a formality or is it tricky ? I take it that once you qualify for citzenship that is you got it for life so to speak ?

Thanks,

Mike
Old Oct 19th 2003, 9:30 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice
Default Re: Qualifying for citzenship after obtaining visa

Originally posted by MikeF
Hi,

could I get some help please. I have been looking into emmigrating to Australia as a under the skilled migrant category. I know that you have 1 year to get out there to validate the visa and then four years to return back and three years to qualify for citzenship. What does this last bit mean ? What do you have to prove to qualify for citzenship once you have got your visa and validated it ? Is it a formality or is it tricky ? I take it that once you qualify for citzenship that is you got it for life so to speak ?

Thanks,

Mike
you must live in aussie for 2 years if i remember rightly correct me if im wrong and then you take out the oath i think....not too much up to date with it all now but someone will help....i bet your saying well thanks for nowt

good luck anyway
johanne
Old Oct 20th 2003, 12:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks,

Mike
It doesn't look like you've been particularly well informed.

Check this site out for the facts on citizenship:

http://www.citizenship.gov.au
Old Oct 20th 2003, 4:27 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/visas/faqs.cfm#08

Best regards.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 4:30 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residence Calculator for Citizenship

DIMIA have now provided an online residence calculator for citizenship.

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/startIntervalCalc.do

You can also apply for citizenship online.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 6:24 am
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

As you will have read by now...
To qualify for Citizenship you need to have been
A) Permanently resident in Australia for 2 years out of the previous 5.
AND
B) One year out of the last 2.

So, if your stint in Australia was uninterrupted, you could apply for Citizenship 2 years and a day after you arrived.

BUT, if you go overseas - the meter stops ticking while you are outside the country.

And if you go overseas for an extended period of time, even though you may qualify for citizenship right now, you won't qualify if you stay away longer than a year as you will then fail the 1 year out of 2 requirement.

Hi,

Thanks,

Mike