Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qld school year and primary eqivalent

Qld school year and primary eqivalent

Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:15 pm
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all
Question Qld school year and primary eqivalent

Hi guys can someone please tell me if the school year and primary year are the same?

scottish p.3 is that the same as year 3 in oz?

sorry if that seems daft ut i just want to make sure

thanks,

Ellie
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

brucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nice
Default Re: Qld school year and primary eqivalent

I believe it is.

But remember if your child has started P3 in Scotland in August this year. It doesnt start in Oz until January next year.

Someone else might post a more definite response to both my comments.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:45 pm
ABCDiamond

In QLD, a child born 1 January 2001 to 31 December 2001 would have started Year 1 in Jan 2007, and would therefore start year 3 in Jan 2009.

Education in Queensland

Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by oz bound
Hi guys can someone please tell me if the school year and primary year are the same?

scottish p.3 is that the same as year 3 in oz?

sorry if that seems daft ut i just want to make sure

thanks,

Ellie
My son was in P7 in Scotland but when we he started school here in July he is now in year 6 so they basically go back a year.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:59 am
ABCDiamond

I did just find something from the UK that shows the differences between Scotland and England schooling, and which shows a child born between 1 Sept and 29 Feb, would be in P3 in Scotland but year 2 in England, whilst a child born 1 Mar to 31 Aug would be in P3 in Scotland and year 3 in England.

That is just Scotland to England, but I think you may find the same principle here in Queensland, and it will depend on exact date of birth.

Let us know the date of birth, and I am sure we can give the correct answer.

Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:58 am
Just Joined

dmgss is a jewel in the roughdmgss is a jewel in the roughdmgss is a jewel in the roughdmgss is a jewel in the rough

Hi

We arrived in Australia in September 2007.

Our daughter (aged 10 at the time) would have gone into Year 6 in England.

We enrolled her at school here in October and she went into Grade 6.

After the Christmas hols she went straight into Grade 7.

M
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

All depends on the state - usually there is a cut off in either April or July and kids entering year 3 will have either just turned 8 or be about to turn 8 before whichever the cut off date is. Bear in mind that it is the fourth year of full time school here though.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

THORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In QLD, a child born 1 January 2001 to 31 December 2001 would have started Year 1 in Jan 2007, and would therefore start year 3 in Jan 2009.

Education in Queensland
Sorry to butt in on the thread.

Can anyone tell me what year my children will be in when we arrive in Jan 09 (hopefully). We are moving to Sunshine coast/Brisbane area.

1st son is 12 years old. His d.o.b. 30/08/96. He is in Y8 in UK
2nd son is 6 years old. His d.o.b. 01/12/01. He is in Y2 in UK.

I have looked at the link above but I am cant seem to understand.

Thanks
Jill

Last edited by THORPES; Sep 17th 2008 at 9:40 am. Reason: missed area
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:05 am
ABCDiamond

I just double checked with my 12 year old, currently in QLD year 7, and your 12 year old (d.o.b. 30/08/96) would be in the same class as her, and would start year 8 in Jan 2009.

Some of my daughters classmates have not yet turned 12, but more than half of them have.

However, based on the QLD education statement "Children born 1 January 2001 to 31 December 2001 will start Year 1 in 2007", I work out that your 6 year old (d.o.b. 01/12/01) should start year 3 in Jan 2009.

Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

THORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to all

I just double checked with my 12 year old, currently in QLD year 7, and your 12 year old (d.o.b. 30/08/96) would be in the same class as her, and would start year 8 in Jan 2009.

Some of my daughters classmates have not yet turned 12, but more than half of them have.

However, based on the QLD education statement "Children born 1 January 2001 to 31 December 2001 will start Year 1 in 2007", I work out that your 6 year old (d.o.b. 01/12/01) should start year 3 in Jan 2009.
Thanks for the info.

So it means my eldest will stay in the same year but my youngest will move up a year.

Jill
xxx
Old Sep 17th 2008, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

nevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nice

Hi folks

Sorry to hi jack your thread but I hope to over before xmas my 11yr old [dob jun 1997] has just started high school in the U.K.Would she then be enrolled into 1st year at high school in QLD or would she have to be enrolled in year 7 at primary school.

Thanks in advance

Nevsy
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:55 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by nevsy
Hi folks

Sorry to hi jack your thread but I hope to over before xmas my 11yr old [dob jun 1997] has just started high school in the U.K.Would she then be enrolled into 1st year at high school in QLD or would she have to be enrolled in year 7 at primary school.

Thanks in advance

Nevsy
It depends on the school, even within QLD. Mine is in year 7, in high school, this year.

Yours, being a year younger than mine, would go into year 7 in Jan 2009. That could be the last year of Primary, in most State schools, or the first year of Senior in some of the Private schools.

Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:58 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by THORPES
Thanks for the info.

So it means my eldest will stay in the same year but my youngest will move up a year.

Jill
xxx
Your situation does look confusing. I am thinking it is something to do with the recent changes, that affected the 2001 birth years.

I will look into that further, when I am feeling a bit better, as I do like to be sure about these things, and this one has me scratching my head a bit.

Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I am not so sure that that is correct.

My daughter who turned 6 in July will be going into year 1 in 2009. So by my reckoning that means that Thorpes child would be going into year 2. The cut off dates for the system here have changed in the last few years. The cut off is not longer the end of the year, it's 30th June. My 10 year old daughter is in year 4, so a 6 year old in year 3 sounds FAR too young. I agree that your 12 year old will be going into year 8 in 2009.....his birthday is only a few days different to my eldest's and she is in year 7 at the mo.

I agree that it is all very confusing, especially with the cut off date having changed, so ABC may be correct, but a 6 year old in year 3 just sounds much too young to me.

Rudi
x

Last edited by Rudi; Sep 17th 2008 at 11:09 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I just found this table which MIGHT help....

http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/e...s.html#compare

If you scroll around you should find a table with the "Comparison of ages for entry into Programs in Australia". However, this is as things stand now, as as I (and ABC) said the cut off date has change from the end of the year to 30th June.

You are best phoning the schools when you get here though. They will be able to tell you which year is correct for your child. If they give you a choice and say that they could just about puch your child up a year, find out whether there are any other children as young as yours in that year. If they are going to be much younger then it's something I would definitely not recommend. It's far better that children stay with children the same age as they are, rather than putting them up a year for the sake of it.

Hope you get sorted.

Rudi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.