Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QLD Reno Thread: Calling all renovators/tradies

QLD Reno Thread: Calling all renovators/tradies

Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Question QLD Reno Thread: Calling all renovators/tradies

There seem to be a fair few people in QLD who have renovated either part or all of their house or are planning on doing so. We have just purchased a house which needs a fair bit of work so I thought it might be a good idea to have one central thread to add hints/tips/recommendations/costs etc.

At the moment I am looking at the following:

1)Carpenters - what sort of hourly rate would one expect to pay
2)Plasterers - ditto
3)Electricians - ditto
4)Raising a Queenslander - I am looking for a good and cost efficient contractor and would love to hear from anybody who has recently done it re. what sort of costs we can expect.
5)What did your plumber charge you to fit your bathroom
6)Are there any quick wins which you did on your own without the help of a tradie?
7)Cost for ducted aircon in an old house

Last edited by dejags; Sep 14th 2008 at 10:02 am. Reason: thought of something else
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QLD Reno Thread: Calling all renovators/tradies

Originally Posted by dejags
There seem to be a fair few people in QLD who have renovated either part or all of their house or are planning on doing so. We have just purchased a house which needs a fair bit of work so I thought it might be a good idea to have one central thread to add hints/tips/recommendations/costs etc.

2)Plasterers - ditto
3)Electricians - ditto
4)Raising a Queenslander - I am looking for a good and cost efficient contractor and would love to hear from anybody who has recently done it re. what sort of costs we can expect.
6)Are there any quick wins which you did on your own without the help of a tradie?
Don't think of me as implolite, but wouldn't it have been a better idea to find these things out previous to embarking on the renovation route?
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spartacus
Don't think of me as implolite, but wouldn't it have been a better idea to find these things out previous to embarking on the renovation route?
Sheesh, increcibly helpful you are.

I do actually have a good idea, but thought it might be nice to share ideas and information with other people and vice versa.

I remember you from my thread that I started before we bought the house. Although I don't for one minute take offence, you can be very negative.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:51 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

2)Plasterers - ditto
3)Electricians - ditto
Hi there, we have just finished renovating our house and the majority of tradies we used priced the work we wanted doing as a whole job and not by the hour.

C x
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shiels
Hi there, we have just finished renovating our house and the majority of tradies we used priced the work we wanted doing as a whole job and not by the hour.

Whereabouts in QLD are you?

C x
Interesting you say that - because that's exactly what I am finding at the moment. All the tradies who have given us quotes have given us piecemeal pricing (I am trying to extrapolate what the rates they are giving us translate to in hourly terms). We have also had two building contractors give us a price to manage the whole thing and use their own subbies. I am now trying to compare what the most cost efficient way is to do it and what bits we will do now and save for later (when we have a few dollars saved).

We are in Brissie. Where are you?
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:58 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting you say that - because that's exactly what I am finding at the moment. All the tradies who have given us quotes have given us piecemeal pricing (I am trying to extrapolate what the rates they are giving us translate to in hourly terms). We have also had two building contractors give us a price to manage the whole thing and use their own subbies. I am now trying to compare what the most cost efficient way is to do it and what bits we will do now and save for later (when we have a few dollars saved).

We are in Brissie. Where are you?
Bottom end of the GC.

Lots of the tradies do less for cash too, seems to be the norm, are you finding that too??

We found we were waiting around for tradies too and lost precious time.

C x
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Bottom end of the GC.

Lots of the tradies do less for cash too, seems to be the norm, are you finding that too??

We found we were waiting around for tradies too and lost precious time.

C x
We haven't got to that stage yet. Luckily we have a 90 day settlement on our house, so I am determined to use this time to plan, plan and plan some more. I have been badly burned in the past with renovating and l don't want to make the same mistakes twice.

I must admit I am sorely tempted to go the Single Contractor route with a contract with penalty clauses. It's not a massive job by contractor standards, but it does involve our fairly meagre savings, so we want it done right.

That said, I am hoping this thread will provide me with some good info to see if it will be feasible for me to manage the various tradies and just use the contractor for the building work. If we will save a fair amount of money doing it this way, obviously we need to do that.

What do you reckon?
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:11 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

We haven't got to that stage yet. Luckily we have a 90 day settlement on our house, so I am determined to use this time to plan, plan and plan some more. I have been badly burned in the past with renovating and l don't want to make the same mistakes twice.

I must admit I am sorely tempted to go the Single Contractor route with a contract with penalty clauses. It's not a massive job by contractor standards, but it does involve our fairly meagre savings, so we want it done right.

That said, I am hoping this thread will provide me with some good info to see if it will be feasible for me to manage the various tradies and just use the contractor for the building work. If we will save a fair amount of money doing it this way, obviously we need to do that.

What do you reckon?
Sounds like your renovation is a lot bigger than ours was.

Best thing i suppose would be to get as many quotes as poss and time frames and go from there.

C x
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Sounds like your renovation is a lot bigger than ours was.

Best thing i suppose would be to get as many quotes as poss and time frames and go from there.

C x

What exactly did you have done, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:18 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

What exactly did you have done, if you don't mind me asking?
Mainly interior work, walls removed and filled in other areas. Flooring removed and replaced. New bathrooms & new kitchen. C x
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Mainly interior work, walls removed and filled in other areas. Flooring removed and replaced. New bathrooms & new kitchen. C x

I have PM'd you.