Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qld reccie - phone & foreign exchange

Qld reccie - phone & foreign exchange

Old Mar 9th 2007, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Brentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really nice
Default Qld reccie - phone & foreign exchange

Dear All,

We are off to Brisbane next friday (hurrah) for two weeks, just wanted to know what the latest opinion was where is best to chcnge st£rling into dollar$. Are we best to change here and if so where or do we get a better rate if you we change once in Oz?

Secondly my mother in law is quite ill and we ideally need some way of being contactable when over there, can we pick up a cheap SIM card and will it work with my English Nokia? Or is there a better alternative? Can we get one of those cheap calling cards to make calls back home?

Thanks as always for all your suggestions and help, will post our findings (If anyone is interested) when we get back.

Cheers, Russell.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 7:02 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qld reccie - phone & foreign exchange

Originally Posted by Brentacc
Dear All,

We are off to Brisbane next friday (hurrah) for two weeks, just wanted to know what the latest opinion was where is best to chcnge st£rling into dollar$. Are we best to change here and if so where or do we get a better rate if you we change once in Oz?

Secondly my mother in law is quite ill and we ideally need some way of being contactable when over there, can we pick up a cheap SIM card and will it work with my English Nokia? Or is there a better alternative? Can we get one of those cheap calling cards to make calls back home?

Thanks as always for all your suggestions and help, will post our findings (If anyone is interested) when we get back.

Cheers, Russell.

Hi Russel

We have just come back from Aus and we just took our switch card and withdrew money out whilst we were there with a £3 charge on each withdrawal.

You can buy an Oz Sim but we just bought a phone card...easy pezzy and really cheap. You can eaither buy $10 or £ 20 which gives you loads of calling minutes.

Have a good trip
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:34 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie
Hi Russel

We have just come back from Aus and we just took our switch card and withdrew money out whilst we were there with a £3 charge on each withdrawal.

You can buy an Oz Sim but we just bought a phone card...easy pezzy and really cheap. You can eaither buy $10 or £ 20 which gives you loads of calling minutes.

Have a good trip
Ah but a phone card doesn't make them 'contactable'

You can pick up SIM cards for all the major operators. For most, you will pay for example $20 for the card but as soon as you register, you get $20 credit too. The Virgin shop is on Edward St, just down from the railway station. Telstra is in the Myer Centre off Queen St Mall and I can't remember where the others are.

When we came for our recce, we got a few hundred dollars in cash and then just used either credit card at POS or Switch at the ATM. You could bring travellers cheques - there are plenty of places that will cash them - but I suspect overall you will pay the same as using your card, and the card is more convenient.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Brentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really nice

Thganks for the heads up, looks like we will have to buy sim and cheopy call card, have recently opened a Nationwide "Flex" account as they don't charge for overseas withdrawls, so quess I will just use card and not bother with cash, thanks again will try to write something vaguely interesting upon our return unless the firtnight passes in a drunken blur of endless partying, skinny dipping, celebrity parties and hours of oh so boring gratutitous sex in which case i wont bother.

cheers, Russell.