Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QLD - How much for a small plumbing job?

QLD - How much for a small plumbing job?

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:42 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice
Default QLD - How much for a small plumbing job?

I need to get our dishwasher connected which requires cutting the existing cold water pipe and installing a "T" piece.

That's it, i can do the rest!

I don't reckon that, for a plumber, this would take more than about an hour (probably 1/2 that) .... so how much should we be looking at?

Ta.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: QLD - How much for a small plumbing job?

Originally Posted by Urno
I need to get our dishwasher connected which requires cutting the existing cold water pipe and installing a "T" piece.

I don't reckon that, for a plumber, this would take more than about an hour (probably 1/2 that) .... so how much should we be looking at?

Ta.
You could DIY.. They do a tap that just tightens up to the pipe and self seals. As you tighten it up, it punctures the pipe, but self seals at the same time. I use these in the UK, I am sure that somewhere like Bunnings would stock them.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:41 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Originally Posted by grahampaula
You could DIY.. They do a tap that just tightens up to the pipe and self seals. As you tighten it up, it punctures the pipe, but self seals at the same time. I use these in the UK, I am sure that somewhere like Bunnings would stock them.
Now that would be useful indeed! I'm just off there now so i'll have a butcher's.

I don't really have the time to DIM, which i know sounds lame, but it'd be quick (and done properly) for a plumber hence the idea to get it done.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:50 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Ta.
This guide is for Sydney, but you could use it as a guide for costs. You'd need to contact your local plumber for his charges.
http://www.readyreckoner.com.au/cate...&categoryid=43
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:25 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grahampaula
Be very careful with this type of fitting, especially if you are on unvented ( i think its called , pressurised ) hot water system.

Also dont foget in Oz, we have higher pressure water, than UK.

Ste

Nonetheless a great idea ! ( have used them on many occasions in uk )
Just make sure you get some teflon tape ( ptfe )
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Ta.
I use plumbers at work and they generally have a minimum call out charge of around $65 - that will get you up to an hours labour.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:16 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gillysm
I use plumbers at work and they generally have a minimum call out charge of around $65 - that will get you up to an hours labour.
Fees seem pretty much standard nationwide then?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:19 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Fees seem pretty much standard nationwide then?
I couldn't find one of those self-fit things in Bunnings, and it was too busy and too hectic with the kids to wait for a free staff member.

I think i can stomach $65 if it gets the job done.

Thanks for the info.