Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QLD - Getting boat License ( RMDL ) ?

QLD - Getting boat License ( RMDL ) ?

Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:33 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default QLD - Getting boat License ( RMDL ) ?

Anyone done their boat license ? Whats involved ? Is there a book that I need to study beforehand ?

Grew up around boats, but I guess I need to learn all the different bouys, speed limits , rules etc that they have here.

Anyone recommend trainers in Brissy Bayside ?

Thought I might give it a go before having to settle into work etc.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:41 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QLD - Getting boat License ( RMDL ) ?

I did it not long ago with this mob http://www.abcboating.com/ .

It's a day course, morning was theory, after noon was chart reading and a go in the boat.

It's very easy, there where some very dim people on the course when I did it and they all passed.

This is the question that one of the guys couldn't do and he passed

"If it takes 30 mins to travel a distance at 10knots how long would it take to cover the same distance at 20knots"

Originally Posted by datamile
Anyone done their boat license ? Whats involved ? Is there a book that I need to study beforehand ?

Grew up around boats, but I guess I need to learn all the different bouys, speed limits , rules etc that they have here.

Anyone recommend trainers in Brissy Bayside ?

Thought I might give it a go before having to settle into work etc.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Hubby and I want to get a jet ski licence but have found out that we have to do the boat licence first
How hard is the practical for someone who's only ever sat on tourist tour boats? I mean it's one thing to be able to drive a jet ski but a boat???
Apparently there is a book you can pick up from the transport centres ... it's referred to on these sites..

http://www.myboat.net.au/Get_Boat_or_Jet_Ski.html
http://www.abcboating.com/index.html

Last edited by Stella340; Aug 8th 2007 at 1:29 am.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:48 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Book is here for download or $10 at centres

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Publi...kbook_download
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

I was worried I would have to study beforehand, however, it's sooooo easy. It did go on a bit though in the classroom and I have to say that personally, what I would have liked was practical time on the water. The only thing they are required to have you do practically is a 'figure of eight' at speed. Was a bit worried about that having never driven a boat before but the instructor told you what to do and when so it was easy peasy! It's a requirement and I'm glad that I did it, however, practically it has not helped me out at all....... At least I know which side I need to overtake on though
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pipers Mummy
I was worried I would have to study beforehand, however, it's sooooo easy. It did go on a bit though in the classroom and I have to say that personally, what I would have liked was practical time on the water. The only thing they are required to have you do practically is a 'figure of eight' at speed. Was a bit worried about that having never driven a boat before but the instructor told you what to do and when so it was easy peasy! It's a requirement and I'm glad that I did it, however, practically it has not helped me out at all....... At least I know which side I need to overtake on though
Thanks! I think we'll start revising!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 3:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's also worth doing your radio operator course. It's quite straightforward and if you intend going offshore in the boat I think you would be daft not to. Lots of places do them, your local VMR might run one - ours does. Not expensive, can't remember how much because mine was free.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 6:57 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I used ABC in Noosa, excellent training, small groups of 3/6 people, easy course material etc. Once the classroom stuff is out of the way the actual on the boat part consists of learning a few simple tasks: pulling along side a pontoon or jetty, pulling up slowly to the shore enough to touch bottom & using the motor to reverse out again, a simple MOB drill [picking up a float], usually a few high speed turns are thrown in for good measure as well
The basic boat handling skills are easy to pass, the real challenge is the "crossing bars" course essential if you intend to go "out wide"
As MP says the radio course is also a worthwhile investment.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:15 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Whats that involve then .

Originally Posted by cresta57
the real challenge is the "crossing bars" course essential if you intend to go "out wide"
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:49 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Whats that involve then .
At a guess I would think this is crossing sand bars?

Maybe the test should include other practical tasks such as

Fixing a fuel blockage while in open water (a drift)
Extracting a hook from a greedy seagull? (during task above)
How to look/maintain cool after running aground and needing to await high tide to free oneself?
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The third one is totally impossible Don't know about the others.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
At a guess I would think this is crossing sand bars?

Maybe the test should include other practical tasks such as

Fixing a fuel blockage while in open water (a drift)
Extracting a hook from a greedy seagull? (during task above)
How to look/maintain cool after running aground and needing to await high tide to free oneself?

Unblocking the marine toilet?
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:30 am
DownUnder

Originally Posted by windog
Unblocking the marine toilet?
marine toilet ? Thought that was check wide direction and select correct side of boat.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 9:11 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
marine toilet ? Thought that was check wide direction and select correct side of boat.
Yep windward side for wind only [just to share] leeward side is weeward side
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:38 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
The third one is totally impossible Don't know about the others.
No it's not! You just put out the anchor and make out that you intended to beach the boat there until the tide comes in. Been there done that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.