Reload this Page >

QLD- cheapest Internet provider ?

Wikiposts

QLD- cheapest Internet provider ?

Old May 17th 2004, 7:21 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
Daft question but...

If you owned your own server and broadband kit, could you strike a deal up with the phone company , ie no isp etc, just pure internet connection always on...

Its gonna come it must do,

I have 5 computers all on 1mb broadband router, server and upload tons, does the bandwidth issue they give you apply to downloads or also uploads ??

If you set up a home system, and did a deal how feasible would it be, surely you could just connect via internet explorer and use ftp for file transfer, get a free email acct via your server side and enjoy FAST connections!!!

IDEALIST huh
So who provides the link from the exchange to the net? I have an unfiltered link with www.swiftdsl.com.au where I could have a setup like yours if I wished.

Hellstra charge for uploads as well as downloads. Most other ISPs charge for downloads only. IMO hellstra is too unreliable to host anything commercial on ADSL. You are probably better off having it hosted in the UK or US. OWIEB has experience dealing with hosters.
Old May 17th 2004, 7:33 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
So who provides the link from the exchange to the net? I have an unfiltered link with www.swiftdsl.com.au where I could have a setup like yours if I wished.

Hellstra charge for uploads as well as downloads. Most other ISPs charge for downloads only. IMO hellstra is too unreliable to host anything commercial on ADSL. You are probably better off having it hosted in the UK or US. OWIEB has experience dealing with hosters.

Good Point..

PLus where we wanna live they have just gone from DIdgeridoo communications too 2 tins and a string ! lol
Old May 17th 2004, 7:42 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Going to go a bit OT here; why exactly do Australian broadband ISP's charge out the wazoo for usage? What are they trying to fund here? Is this their way to raise money for deeper broadband coverage in Australia?

Domestic broadband wasn't a real option when I last lived in Australia, so I know precious little about the why's and wherefore's.
Old May 17th 2004, 7:47 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ulujain
Going to go a bit OT here; why exactly do Australian broadband ISP's charge out the wazoo for usage? What are they trying to fund here? Is this their way to raise money for deeper broadband coverage in Australia?

Domestic broadband wasn't a real option when I last lived in Australia, so I know precious little about the why's and wherefore's.
Telstra is involved plus limited pipes into and out of Australia. There is also limited regulation by the ACCC to give last mile access to ISPs. Finally the small market and high infrastructure costs make payback harder.