Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QLD 5 day trip...advice re where to go???

QLD 5 day trip...advice re where to go???

Old Aug 5th 2006, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Default QLD 5 day trip...advice re where to go???

Hi there

We are planning a short trip in and around the Sunshine Coast. We are currently living in Mooloolaba (Love it). We want to explore more.

Ideas I'v had are going to the Gold Coast and Brissie.

Byron Bay has also been recommended as somewhere to visit.

We like the beach, snorkelling and just chilling out. We are looking for reasonably priced accommodation. Has anyone any suggestions of great places to go to??

Thanks

The Spinkways
Old Aug 5th 2006, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Irish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QLD 5 day trip...advice re where to go???

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hi there

We are planning a short trip in and around the Sunshine Coast. We are currently living in Mooloolaba (Love it). We want to explore more.

We like the beach, snorkelling and just chilling out. We are looking for reasonably priced accommodation. Has anyone any suggestions of great places to go to??

Thanks

The Spinkways
Not too sure as havent been hre that long but i have heard heron island is beautiful. just of the coast of queensland i think
Old Aug 5th 2006, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Thanks

We stayed in Byron a couple of years ago when we came over on holiday, we stayed in the Oasis apartments which were lovely, swimming pool and tennis courts and sea views.

http://www.byron-bay-accommodation.com.au/

They have treetop houses there but having two small kids we stayed in a two bedroom apartment which was great.

Rachel
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Thanks for your reply.

What are the 'must see' things at Byron Bay?

Iv heard it is a lovely hippy town, great! Is that true?

J Spinkway
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

southstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nice

Hi
Moreton Island off the coast of Brissie has the main resort of Tangalooma where you can hand feed the wild dolphins that swim to shore each evening. It's a great resort and it's just the best experience to be next to really wild dolphins - not ones that are netted in the bay or kept in large glorified swimming pools.
Enjoy whatever you decide to do!
Sue
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue, can u recommend any reasonable accommodation for a night or 2 at Tangalooma?
J
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply.

What are the 'must see' things at Byron Bay?

Iv heard it is a lovely hippy town, great! Is that true?

J Spinkway
Not sure on the must sees really, we were there for a wedding so were either relaxing around pool or with wedding party at their house. Its quite a laid back place, quite a few backpackers around. There are some good pubs and restaurants down the high street.

Hope you have a great time.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Hi there

We are looking for reasonably priced accommodation. Has anyone any suggestions of great places to go to??

Thanks

The Spinkways
We've been using wotif.com (I think it may have changed its name) to get great apartments on trips to the Sunshine Coast over the last couple of years. Just enter your needs for rooms and facilities, we've always been able to get really good deals.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 3:39 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Sue, can u recommend any reasonable accommodation for a night or 2 at Tangalooma?
J
There's only one place to stay on Moreton Island.
Go to www.tangalooma.com for prices of their accommodation.
We stayed there too. Great place to go

Julie. x
Old Aug 6th 2006, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Jez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by southstander
Hi
Moreton Island off the coast of Brissie has the main resort of Tangalooma where you can hand feed the wild dolphins that swim to shore each evening. It's a great resort and it's just the best experience to be next to really wild dolphins - not ones that are netted in the bay or kept in large glorified swimming pools.
Enjoy whatever you decide to do!
Sue
I second that - Tangalooma was fantastic. We went to Brisbane nearly two years ago and spent 4 nights on Tangalooma (should have been two but we extended to four because it was so nice). Fed the dolphins which was a great experience. No cars on the island just little golf type buggies. Paradise beach, but we did spot a shark in the water so beware !!! Also went Whale watching which was also great. Its a must if you are in the area - ah the memories !
Old Aug 6th 2006, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Jez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jez & Lorraine
I second that - Tangalooma was fantastic. We went to Brisbane nearly two years ago and spent 4 nights on Tangalooma (should have been two but we extended to four because it was so nice). Fed the dolphins which was a great experience. No cars on the island just little golf type buggies. Paradise beach, but we did spot a shark in the water so beware !!! Also went Whale watching which was also great. Its a must if you are in the area - ah the memories !
Sorry forgot !!!! Australia Zoo is also a great day out. We also loved the Gold Coast, Noosa and Brisbane was lovely also. Lone Pine Koala sanctuary was a nice trip, cuddled a Koala, fed the roos etc.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

southstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nice

J
Hi
I see Julie beat me to it with the website for Tangalooma!
You have to pay for the "launch" (ie ferry) to get to the resort but don't let that put you off - it's all so well organised and so worth it. They also picked us up from the airport too! If you're driving there you have to pay to leave your car at the wharf or else just get the bus to Roma St station and they'll pick you up from there.
I would recommend Australia zoo aswell apart, from the bit where they walk the cheetas around on collars and leads
Sue
Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

samd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
I hope you don't mind my question, as its not in response to yours.

My sister has visa to move to Oz, I can't get one, so we are considering she moves to Oz on her own to a designated area so that she could then sponsor me after a year. We have looked at Mooloolaba, what is it like?? She is a hairdresser, - would she get work, are there a lot of salons in Mooloolaba?

Is it a place she would be ok on her own?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Sam

Hi there

Thanks

The Spinkways
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:46 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Thanks

The Spinkways
Fraser Island is one of the best places I have been to so far in Oz, It's a must !
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:28 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

The northern NSW coast is fabulous - made for holiday/travellers. I live just west of Bris and have done the NSW coastal trip a few times just for a short break. There's some amazing unspoilt beaches, but also the usual resorts/caravan parks if you fancy. Byron is okay but if you want a real hippy town, Nimbin is just inland. Last year I travelled as far south as Yamba then went inland to Nimbin - a sort of round trip (also included town of Maclean hailed as 'The Most Scottish Town in Australia' eek!)

I was there around May and didn't book any accom, just turned up and it was all good, but you might want to prebook in Summer months. Don't just stick to the coast - there's lots of interesting stuff inland!

Like I said, the area is really set up for tourists, so you should find heaps of info on the net if you google Byron or Northern NSW.

The New England Hwy is another option - takes you down inland through some older style towns such as Armidale...bit more of the country side of things for you...seeing as you probably get enough of the coast life living in Mooloolaba

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.