Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qantas v Malaysian

Qantas v Malaysian

Old Jul 29th 2002, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Pablo Picasso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qantas v Malaysian

Sure enough Rob, the ultra helpful lady at Emirates sent through written confirmation (and pre booked our seats and meals!!) within 10 minutes of my original phone call.

Not bad service i'd say!!
Old Jul 29th 2002, 11:22 pm
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pablo Picasso
(maybe in response to PREAD in an earlier thread, if you do the same at Munich you may also get the allowance as well)

I've faxed Germany HQ in Frankfurt to ask just this, hoping for a positive reply soon. Also, I can confirm that although the first person I spoke to at Emirates in Munich was useless (told me that car seats were not allowed at all), both Head Office in Dubai, then a very helpful lady in Munich, couldn't do enough to help. It turns out the first lady was talking complete rubbish, and it was all sorted out. I booked flights on the Emirates website, then followed this up with a phone call to aforementioned helpful lady to book the actual seats. She also pre-booked a child and baby meal, and a birthday cake for our son who turns 4 the day before we fly. Just keeping fingers crossed for the 40Kg baggage allowance now...
Old Jul 30th 2002, 1:12 pm
Retired *********

Just had a response to my faxed request for double baggage allowance. Apparently this is not available in Germany, unless you are of 'ethnic' background, visiting relatives in Australia on a return ticket. Whatever that means. I had the impression that this lady did not really know the subject, but that she'd been given a little information, then asked to pass on to me that my request was denied. Certainly this idea that you would only get the allowance on a return ticket seems backward.

Anyway, I'm not going to let it go here. I've mailed the super-helpful lady who I've been dealing with up until now, then it's the turn of Head Office in Dubai. See if I can make a nuisance of myself, until they give me the allowance just to make me go away...
Old Jul 30th 2002, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Go for it Paul, i like your style!!!

Like i said earlier, you just need to speak to the right people!!

(Take old Stelios at Easyjet..... just complain to him about anything and he rolls over....particularly if theres a camera crew nearby!!

Good Luck mate!

Paul
Old Jul 30th 2002, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

a1macc is an unknown quantity at this point

My travel agent checked with Cathay at the time of booking, and on the production of my passport and visa they immediately gave me 40kgs. No hassles!
Old Jul 30th 2002, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hi All
We asked about child meals for our two kids on emirates and was told we could pre book them , except scott who will be 12 cannot have a child meal as he has paid a adult price seat !!!!! What is it coming to , he cant have the cig or alchol allowance though , even though he is paying a adult price , and he is still a child and he cant have a child meal !!!!!!
Should i complain ????
Joanne
P.S We have also pre booked seats on both legs , and have been told they cannot be guarnteed , as they may need to give them to a special case , if they seperate us there will be hell to pay i can tell you !!!!!
Old Jul 30th 2002, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Joanne,

give Lesley a call at Emirates and explain your situation. She is an absolute diamond.

Tell her you spoke to me first (as its not really her job) and i'm sure she'll try help out.

Lesley Walsh
Senior Secretary
[email protected]
Tel: 01625 445221

cheers

Paul
Old Jul 31st 2002, 2:20 am
Tony Bryer

In article <[email protected]>, Jopaulss wrote:
    > We have also pre booked seats on both legs , and have been told they cannot be
    > guarnteed , as they may need to give them to a special case , if they seperate us
    > there will be hell to pay i can tell you !!!!!

British Airways have been known to put the two halves of a honeymoon couple in
different cabins. The prize, though, has to go to the airline (I can't remember
which though I only heard the story in the last week or so) that made a
'horizontally challenged' man pay for two seats. When he got them, they were either
side of the aisle!

--
Tony Bryer

Old Jul 31st 2002, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

kitkatz is an unknown quantity at this point

The story I heard went something like this...

He flew Easyjet Luton to Dublin and was forced to pay for two seats but when he boarded he realised that the armrest was fixed and couldn't be raised. So he kicked up a fuss and they promised him that on his return journey they would ensure it didn't happen again.

On his return journey he was allocated seats on either side of the aisle...
Old Jul 31st 2002, 9:20 am
Phil

I'm sorry that is soooo funny, you have to try to remember which airline. We all need
something to make us laugh among the stress!!!! Anyone else go any silly stories?

Emily

"Tony Bryer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Jopaulss wrote:
    > > We have also pre booked seats on both legs , and have been told they cannot be
    > > guarnteed , as they may need to give them to a special case , if they seperate us
    > > there will be hell to pay i can tell you !!!!!
    >
    > British Airways have been known to put the two halves of a honeymoon couple in
    > different cabins. The prize, though, has to go to the airline (I can't remember
    > which though I only heard the story in the last week or so) that made a
    > 'horizontally challenged' man pay for two seats. When he got them, they were either
    > side of the aisle!
    >
    > --
    > Tony Bryer

Old Aug 1st 2002, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going with Malasian and have found out to my detriment that they will not give the 40k baggage allowance if you have a return ticket even with your migration visa!

So I am stuffed basically

I booked with a company called Quest Travel (Surrey) who were quick to take the £200 (£100 each for my son and I) extra for me to change dates, but to make a cancellation and rebook a one way ticket was mad.. have to lose 50% of the ticket price then pay £500 each for one ways. The return ticket was only £750.

After called Quest was told to call Malasian who told me to call Quest.. alas nothing but a blokey who thought he was god, putting the phone down on me when I asked to speak to someone in a more senior position, still not understanding me, I made it a little bit more interesting and asked to speak to someone who earnt more money than him, which resulted in the phone being slammed down on me *shrug* Spoke to the manager there who called Malasian who conceeded to allowing me 5k extra in the hold and 5k extra in the cabin. Which meant I was being 'done' out of 32k!!!

Got on the phone to Barclaycard who has advised me to try Trading Standards (which I will do tomorrow) to see if I have an issue to be taken up. Will keep you posted.

I know it is six of one half a dozen of the other, but you woulda thought something better woulda come out of it!

Yvonne
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 9:20 am
Susmac

ywoods <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am going with Malasian and have found out to my detriment that they will not
    > give the 40k baggage allowance if you have a return ticket even with your
    > migration visa!
    >
    > So I am stuffed basically
    >
    > I booked with a company called Quest Travel (Surrey) who were quick to take the
    > £200 (£100 each for my son and I) extra for me to change dates, but to make a
    > cancellation and rebook a one way ticket was mad.. have to lose 50% of the ticket
    > price then pay £500 each for one ways. The return ticket was only £750.
    >
    > After called Quest was told to call Malasian who told me to call Quest.. alas
    > nothing but a blokey who thought he was god, putting the phone down on me when I
    > asked to speak to someone in a more senior position, still not understanding me, I
    > made it a little bit more interesting and asked to speak to someone who earnt more
    > money than him, which resulted in the phone being slammed down on me *shrug* Spoke
    > to the manager there who called Malasian who conceeded to allowing me 5k extra in
    > the hold and 5k extra in the cabin. Which meant I was being 'done' out of 32k!!!
    >
    > Got on the phone to Barclaycard who has advised me to try Trading Standards (which
    > I will do tomorrow) to see if I have an issue to be taken up. Will keep you posted.
    >
    > I know it is six of one half a dozen of the other, but you woulda thought something
    > better woulda come out of it!
    >
    > Yvonne
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi Yvonne
Find the Malaysian airlines site on the internet and email their head office in KUL
Give them a hard time saying something along the lines of you have always been happy
with their service in the past and have often recommended them to friends and
colleagues,(they don't know any differant!) therefore you are extremely disappointed
with your treatment in this case and you trust they will be able to help you and
ensure other loyal customers are not treated this way in future!. It's worth a try
and in my experience contacting the head office in any complaint is usually the way
to go . Service in the UK sucks and we are to easily put off by people who can't be
bothered Good Luck Susan

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Susan...

No sooner said than done. Have given them til Tuesday to give me a favourable response then I will turn to Trading Standards to see where I stand legally.

Word of advice to ANYONE migrating,,, make sure you do it right the first time other wise you will end up regretting it and being big time outta pocket. Another learning curve for me though. Visa is got so need something else to battle for HAHAHA

Yvonne
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 12:43 pm
Retired *********

Funnily enough, I've tried exactly the same tack with Emirates Dubai, as I got no joy with our previously-ever-so-helpful Emirates sales woman. Not too hopeful, but not ready to give in yet.
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

jasmin is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you think I will stand with this then?
I have booked to go for a month in October with MAS
we were granted our PR in March and therefore its in the passport.
We are going for good in January, will we lose our right to the extra allowance when we go in Jan as our Visa's will already have been stamped.
We were happy to book MAS for Jan as well
what does anyone reckon?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.