Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QANTAS JUMBO EMERGENCY LANDING

QANTAS JUMBO EMERGENCY LANDING

Old Jul 25th 2008, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice
Default QANTAS JUMBO EMERGENCY LANDING

Just been told about this.....

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...BIn%2BFuselage

How scary. But sounds like everyone's ok, just shook up. Thankfully.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

vicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nice
Default Re: QANTAS JUMBO EMERGENCY LANDING

yes i read this on the bbc. as a person who has a flying phobia i cant imagine what it must have been like for the people on that plane. the bbc also says some cargo was coming out of the plane. i hope no ones pets were flying out with them, or if they were they are all safe as well.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 10:07 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Yah, I heard this on the radio earlier today.

Not good to hear since we're taking a Qantas flight to LA on Wednesday!! I'm a pretty good flyer, but I'm sure it'll make me a touch jumpy during the flight
Old Jul 25th 2008, 10:24 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Handy becuase air crash investigation are running out of stories
Old Jul 25th 2008, 11:11 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's the best time to fly, everyone is being extra careful.

Flying airzimbabwe made be a nervous flyer, the reservation system was an A4 sheet of paper and a biro !

There website says it all http://www.airzimbabwe.com/

Originally Posted by comet555
Not good to hear since we're taking a Qantas flight to LA on Wednesday!! I'm a pretty good flyer, but I'm sure it'll make me a touch jumpy during the flight
Old Jul 25th 2008, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by themerlin
I think it's the best time to fly, everyone is being extra careful.

Flying airzimbabwe made be a nervous flyer, the reservation system was an A4 sheet of paper and a biro !

There website says it all http://www.airzimbabwe.com/
I wouldnt want to fly with them, but looking at their site made me kinda sad. Its like they are trying, but with no resources to play.

P.S this is NOT meant to be political, just that sad feeling you get when you think someones trying but that they have no chance of succeeding.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, saw this on tv at lunchtime, glad the kids were eating in the kitchen at the time,
The filming that someone did inside the plane after the loud bang showed everything remained calm and the crew did a great job, it must still of been an awful experience though for all on board, the clip ive seen they were filming the screen infront of their seats that was showing how many 1000's of feet they were going down in such little time,thank goodness nobody was hurt, it brought tears to my eyes when they all applauded the pilot as he landed safely,
Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyboo2101
Yeah, saw this on tv at lunchtime, glad the kids were eating in the kitchen at the time,
The filming that someone did inside the plane after the loud bang showed everything remained calm and the crew did a great job, it must still of been an awful experience though for all on board, the clip ive seen they were filming the screen infront of their seats that was showing how many 1000's of feet they were going down in such little time,thank goodness nobody was hurt, it brought tears to my eyes when they all applauded the pilot as he landed safely,
It dropped 20,000 feet from its original alt. of 29,000, down to 10,000 which is standard procedure due to pressurisation issues. Will be interested to see why this is - I know Qantas (with other airlines) have been trying to save a few quid due to high oil costs, so let's hope they're not skimping on security or mechanics. They have a great safety record but one major problem like this could affect ticket sales.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the rough

I heard that the Qantas Engineers have been on strike for the past 6 weeks...can anyone confirm this?
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aussie4me
I heard that the Qantas Engineers have been on strike for the past 6 weeks...can anyone confirm this?
No. Present speculation is somewhere in the vicinity of a problem with corrosion.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 2:44 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aussie4me
They have been striking for a few hours on certain days in one city at a time - I think this has mostly affected domestic operations though and it's been pretty minimal disruption. This one is obviously very serious but you do have to be a bit careful as the aussie media blows any incident involving Qantas completely out of proportion. They have certainly had a lot of reported problems in the last few months, especially with their 747 fleet. A lot of airlines, Qantas included, had planned to have a lot of these planes retired by now but the A380 delivery delays have meant that this could not happen. Qantas has a few ancient 747s flying domestic between Perth & Sydney.

Last edited by bcworld; Jul 26th 2008 at 2:46 am.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

anawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of light

I would suspect corrosion to be the cause personally. The area affected is below one of the galleys, which are a major source of contamination from spilled drinks etc. It's possible it could have been a b**b (that word we're not allowed to say in aviation anymore. No, not boob...), but if it was it was either far too small for the job intended, or didn't detonate properly. I really do think this is not the case though.

It will have nothing to do with the current industrial dispute with Qantas engineers. They have not been on strike for 6 weeks. They have had a series of 4 hour stoppages, but nothing that would have affected the condition of this aircraft.

As an aside, I love the way the media keep banging on about it "plunging" like this was some sort of uncontrolled dive brought about by the damage to the aircraft, as opposed to a perfectly controlled emergency decent in accordance with standard operating procedures. When you read press reports about something of which you have a good understanding, and see what trash they put out, it makes you think about all the other stories you take at face value because you know no better.
Kudos to the crew for a good performance all round.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
They have been striking for a few hours on certain days in one city at a time - I think this has mostly affected domestic operations though and it's been pretty minimal disruption. This one is obviously very serious but you do have to be a bit careful as the aussie media blows any incident involving Qantas completely out of proportion. They have certainly had a lot of reported problems in the last few months, especially with their 747 fleet. A lot of airlines, Qantas included, had planned to have a lot of these planes retired by now but the A380 delivery delays have meant that this could not happen. Qantas has a few ancient 747s flying domestic between Perth & Sydney.
As the flight was going from London to Melbourne do we know if there are any of 'our lot' (BE's) on board??? What a start to a migration adventure!
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Qantas has a few ancient 747s flying domestic between Perth & Sydney.

Yes...I was on one last week Perth to Sydney and it did have the feeling of being rather old. Arthur Negus was at the front checking it out for Antiques Roadshow.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 11:13 am

I think today tonight will be jumping all over it next week.
Originally Posted by Tableland
IWill be interested to see why this is - I know Qantas (with other airlines) have been trying to save a few quid due to high oil costs, so let's hope they're not skimping on security or mechanics. They have a great safety record but one major problem like this could affect ticket sales.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.