Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qantas frequent flyer ?

Qantas frequent flyer ?

Old Apr 11th 2008, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

John Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really nice
Default Qantas frequent flyer ?

Hello all,

Just booked an internal flight with Qantas and wondered if it was worth paying the $82 to join the frequent flyer scheme. Do you need many points to get anything back ? Can you book a flight for someone else and get the points for yourself ? Never done enough flying to warrant joining up before.

Will have a look on the web page in a bit, just wondered if anyone got any opinions on the matter.

Cheers John.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 11:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas frequent flyer ?

Originally Posted by John Barmby
Hello all,

Just booked an internal flight with Qantas and wondered if it was worth paying the $82 to join the frequent flyer scheme. Do you need many points to get anything back ? Can you book a flight for someone else and get the points for yourself ? Never done enough flying to warrant joining up before.

Will have a look on the web page in a bit, just wondered if anyone got any opinions on the matter.

Cheers John.
Shame you are already over here - for anyone still back in the UK, join up before you come, its free then
Old Apr 11th 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

John Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really nice

Free to join if you live in the U.K ? Thats good to know as my folks are flying over in August using Qantas. Ive only been here for six months, i guess it would be an option to join up giving our last U.K address and using a U.K credit card. Or would that be really dishonest ?
Old Apr 11th 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

They ask for your passport number so they will prob already know you are living in oz? Maybe not though.

We signed up when we did our validation trip last year. Why on earth we dodnt' do this years ago I don't know cos that was our 5th trip to Oz! Imagine how many points we'd have now!

I'd pay the $, worth it in the end of the free flights you can get, you can also put other stuff on like car rentals and other things to gain points.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is worth it - DH and I are flying home in peak season for $1300 total this summer - just the taxes. I have my credit card linked to it too so the points just mount up. I almost have another flight due too.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, i think it will definately be worth it as me bro is getting married May 09 back in the motherland, i can get a few more points. The info says i have until 30 days after the flight to join and get the points.
Anybody know if you get points through other airlines ? If for example you fly BA and Qantas do you get points for both airlines ?
Old Apr 11th 2008, 1:22 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Barmby
Yeah, i think it will definately be worth it as me bro is getting married May 09 back in the motherland, i can get a few more points. The info says i have until 30 days after the flight to join and get the points.
Anybody know if you get points through other airlines ? If for example you fly BA and Qantas do you get points for both airlines ?
Damn i flew in Feb so it looks like i've lost those points cos i never knew anything about the 'frequent flyers' scheme
Old Apr 11th 2008, 3:35 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I think it is worth it - DH and I are flying home in peak season for $1300 total this summer - just the taxes. I have my credit card linked to it too so the points just mount up. I almost have another flight due too.
I sincerely hope there's a "0" missing from your quote or thats bargain of the century!

Personally I think the Emirates scheme is excellent if your main use is UK:OZ.
I did PER:LGW return once, enough miles plus $60 for extra miles and upgrade to Business DXB:LHR. I doubt you could get that benefit with QF. Mind you after 3 years Id have lost those miles had I not used them
Old Apr 11th 2008, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

If you look on the Quantas frequent flyer pages on their website it shows other airlines where you can get points from as well, I think the groups called Star Alliance or something but thats from memory and may be wrong! But definately you can use other airlines, we got points flying to NZ from Oz on Jetstar, booked over internet. Anywhere you can get points there will be the opportunity to add you frequent flyer number. Also, we were able to add some past flights onto it as we still had the bording cards! But there is prob a time limit on that as well but worth checking out!
Old Apr 11th 2008, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Damn i flew in Feb so it looks like i've lost those points cos i never knew anything about the 'frequent flyers' scheme
Some schemes give you 12 months to add flights. Try them
Old Apr 11th 2008, 9:08 pm
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BrisbaneBound2008
If you look on the Quantas frequent flyer pages on their website it shows other airlines where you can get points from as well, I think the groups called Star Alliance or something but thats from memory and may be wrong! But definately you can use other airlines, we got points flying to NZ from Oz on Jetstar, booked over internet. Anywhere you can get points there will be the opportunity to add you frequent flyer number. Also, we were able to add some past flights onto it as we still had the bording cards! But there is prob a time limit on that as well but worth checking out!
Qantas are part of One World, with British Airways and AA. Star Alliance is Air NZ, Singapore Airlines and BMI

Jen
Old Apr 11th 2008, 11:28 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

QFF membership is a *must* for any British resident of Australia!

The $82 fee is a one-off - so once you've paid it you dont need to worry.

Even if you dont fly much, get a credit card with a decent QFF points scheme and put every CENT you spend through that credit card (obviously taking care to pay it off monthly and avoid any onterest charges).

In no time at all you'll have racked up enough points to get home!

Heres a tip:
Instead of saving 125,000 points to get to LHR and back, just save 60,000 and go to HKG or SIN - the cost of a return from their will be well less than half the full return fare and you wont have to wait so long to save the points! (Also much easier to find seat availability on 1 single flight than it is on 2 interconnected ones).

We're taking 4 of us back to UK for a holiday this August for $5K. It took us 2 years to save up the 240,000 points to take 4 of us to HKG and the return from HKG-LHR was dead cheap (~AU$1000 each)...
Old Apr 11th 2008, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I sincerely hope there's a "0" missing from your quote or thats bargain of the century!

Personally I think the Emirates scheme is excellent if your main use is UK:OZ.
I did PER:LGW return once, enough miles plus $60 for extra miles and upgrade to Business DXB:LHR. I doubt you could get that benefit with QF. Mind you after 3 years Id have lost those miles had I not used them
Nope, one thousand three hundred dollars for two of us using our FF points - we just pay the taxes. Otherwise we would have been up for at least $7k travelling in July.

I dont think I would ever bother with an upgrade. I resent giving the airlines too much money and, after all, it is only 24 hours of your life in a cattle class seat. I can (and do!) do that without any trouble at all.

My only regret is that I didnt join earlier!!!!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

A little tip...

Join the American Airlines AAdavtage frequent flyer.

They are a part of the One World Alliance so can use on all the airlines in that alliance including Qantas, BA, Cathay Pacific, JAL and others.

AA has the best 'burn rate' out of the lot. As an example, you need more than double the miles for an internal flight on Qantas with QF points than AA points.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by longreach
A little tip...

Join the American Airlines AAdavtage frequent flyer.

They are a part of the One World Alliance so can use on all the airlines in that alliance including Qantas, BA, Cathay Pacific, JAL and others.

AA has the best 'burn rate' out of the lot. As an example, you need more than double the miles for an internal flight on Qantas with QF points than AA points.
Hi, just had a quick look at the web page and can't see how much it costs to join. Do you know ? Looks pretty good though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.