Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qantas Frequent Flyer | How much is it worth?

Qantas Frequent Flyer | How much is it worth?

Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas Frequent Flyer | How much is it worth?

Originally Posted by astera
I've always found the landings to be mega-pleasant, very smooth throughout (as you mentioned that plane has super systems to make sure it glides in perfectly).

What I have never liked though are... take-offs. I cannot stand them. Once the beast gets rolling... and continues to roll and roll... and roll and roll some more with the metres zipping by, I start thinking that we're having trouble getting up and that we will run out of tarmac and start bulldozing trees or buildings soon...
Yeah I bank on the 4 engines and that if one goes the other 3 are going to do their job. I do like the take offs on the A380. Its so quiet. On my last flight the couple next to me ended their marriage during take off. I could hear it word for word.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I love the A380 but it's the only plane I've flown on recently that's had technical problems. Delayed on the tarmac at Heathrow for a couple of hours one trip and another time had to slow down and descend because of a fuel problem, right over northern Iraq when ISIS were running amok!

But really, only minor stuff. I like 777's as a plane but the seats in economy on Emirates are so hard they cause me a great deal of discomfort, pain even - I can't get to sleep even with alcohol and downers!
Old Apr 27th 2015, 1:48 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yeah I bank on the 4 engines and that if one goes the other 3 are going to do their job.
It can still land on one, but overall the number of engines is where I prefer to see 2 rather than 4 (only exception is the A340 over the A330). Engines are the main source of trouble, so why double the chances of something going wrong?
Old Apr 29th 2015, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

It can still land on one, but overall the number of engines is where I prefer to see 2 rather than 4
Nope, not for me! Engines are extremely reliable in service, but if one goes pop, I would prefer to have the redundancy of 3 remaining rather than one. Having said that, I imagine the real difference is marginal.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
Nope, not for me! Engines are extremely reliable in service, but if one goes pop, I would prefer to have the redundancy of 3 remaining rather than one. Having said that, I imagine the real difference is marginal.
More than the engines it is the servicing of them - some airlines shoddily service Boeing and Airbus products. I have a friend who is an aeronautical engineer based at Tulla and he told me some of the airlines to be wary of - no names mentioned!
Old Apr 29th 2015, 2:56 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
More than the engines it is the servicing of them - some airlines shoddily service Boeing and Airbus products. I have a friend who is an aeronautical engineer based at Tulla and he told me some of the airlines to be wary of - no names mentioned!
Maybe you should mention a few names?

Is the shoddy servicing due to outsourcing to dubious companies located in not-so-well-regulated areas?
Old Apr 30th 2015, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Engines are the main source of trouble, so why double the chances of something going wrong?
Actually - pilots are.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 11:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Actually - pilots are.
I think you'll find more crashes have been caused by faullty engines than by faulty pilots.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should mention a few names?

Is the shoddy servicing due to outsourcing to dubious companies located in not-so-well-regulated areas?
No names but steer clear of certain Asian airlines in particular but the likes of Singapore and Cathay Pacific ok. I think all airlines (and nearly all businesses) outsource now in an attempt to cut costs, without regard to customer service.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 2:05 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The high-bypass turbofan is an example of western technology, innovation and capitalism

An incredible piece of engineering
Old May 1st 2015, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
No names but steer clear of certain Asian airlines in particular but the likes of Singapore and Cathay Pacific ok. I think all airlines (and nearly all businesses) outsource now in an attempt to cut costs, without regard to customer service.
To be fair, Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific have way too much to lose if they are caught out short on maintenance and safety. It's simply not worth the risk for these national carriers of small countries that depend so much on the corruption-free and rule of law and open skies reputation!
Old May 2nd 2015, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think you'll find more crashes have been caused by faullty engines than by faulty pilots.
Really?

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm
Old May 7th 2015, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by xizzles
To be fair, Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific have way too much to lose if they are caught out short on maintenance and safety. It's simply not worth the risk for these national carriers of small countries that depend so much on the corruption-free and rule of law and open skies reputation!
Did I say you only have to worry about non-national carriers? I just gave 2 examples of national carriers who do look after maintenance.
Old May 8th 2015, 11:19 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
The old one goes something like this:

The only way I feel comfortable is when there's a loud bang, the engineer leans forward and says "We've lost number five, Skip" and I can reply "What side?"
Old May 8th 2015, 11:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The critical word is "caused", Polly.

It's a given that very few accidents have a single cause. There are so many checks and crosschecks in aviation (as you know), and so much system redundancy in modern aircraft, that single, double and more failures rarely "cause" an accident. The Swiss Cheese analogy says that if you slice a chunk of it into a dozen slices and shuffle them around there's a very small chance of all the holes lining up so you can push a pen through. However, every so often all the slices will line up with holes in register except one - and in the analogy that one is the pilot (more accurately, the crew.) If that slice can't cope the pen slips through and the phone goes at the CAA/NTSB or whatever.

Accident reports never, in the developed world, say that xyz caused the accident, but the "probable cause" was abc. The series of failures of systems, procedures and the like are often the precursor to the "failure" of the crew to be able to recover the situation.

Single engine failures even during a limiting takeoff are not a real problem but as the case of the QF32 out of Singapore showed, having over fifty subsequent system failures resulting from a big fan letting loose certainly is. The crew did a fantastic job of handling the emergency (despite the best efforts of the computers to hinder them) but if they had been overwhelmed no doubt after several years of legal poring over the manuals the crew would have been, in the media at least, "to blame".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.