Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Q for gardening cooks

Q for gardening cooks

Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Q for gardening cooks

This is another bug thing really.

Our homegrown cabbages are hearting up nicely, but now they're being shredded by caterpillers that burrow into the centre. Derris dust doesn't touch the blighters.

I want to harvest them before it's too late, but what to do with it is the question. Does anyone know if you can freeze cabbage, and should I blanche it?

I never grew cabbages back in Blighty, but they grow very well here in steamy Qld!

Thanks, Q
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:30 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of
Default Re: Q for gardening cooks

The short answer is yes. The more detailed answer is -

Make sure you harvest when they are firm (ie you can't really press the head or sides in) and not overripe. Also, if you leave the outer leaves on the plant when you cut the cabbage for harvest, you may find new buds will form there and you can pick these small cabbages when they are firm.

Cabbage can be stored in the refrigerator for at least a week if it's tightly wrapped. Before storing, trim the heads of loose leaves and try to ensure the leaves are dirt / blemish free.

You can also freeze cabbage in thin wedges / shredded - it won't be any good for salads, but it is fine for cooking in soups etc. Trim the coarse outer leaves from head and cut cabbage into wedges or shred coarsely. Blanch in boiling water (wedges for 2-3 minutes, shreded for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes) remove and plunge into ice cold water. Drain well and pack into containers, leaving a about 2 centimetres / 1/2-inch room at the top. if you are putting into freezer bags rather than tupperware or something similar, make sure you extract as much air as possible from the bag before freezing.

I have heard of people freezing cabbage without blanching, but haven't tried it myself. If you did this i don't think you can then use the cabbage in stews, casseroles etc. Might be worth giving it a go with just one cabbage to see how it turns out.

I've not stored it for longer than a few weeks but would imagine you can probably freeze for up to 6 months.

Good luck!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Whilst we are on the subject of freezing grown goods.

Do you know if you can freeze nectarines? I have 3 trees in the garden and are full of them almost ready for picking.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Well you can always freeze the juice. I expect a whole fruit would just collapse on thawing - why not try one?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:18 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

You can indeed freeze nectarines (or at least nectarine pieces). There is a good article here which explains how to freeze all sorts of summer fruit.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ridds
You can indeed freeze nectarines (or at least nectarine pieces). There is a good article here which explains how to freeze all sorts of summer fruit.
Thank Ridds very helpful!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:34 pm
brisvegas

You're welcome
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:36 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

An excellent (and quick) recipe for cabbage wedges, frozen or not:
4 cabbage wedges ( total weight abt. 12 oz.)
1 tablesp. dry white wine or dry cider
1 oz. butter
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 level teasp. fennel seeds (or carraway)
salt
pepper

Put cabbage, wine, butter stock and seeds in microwave-proof casserole dish.
Cook on "High" for 2 mins.
Remove from microwave and turn wedges, using tongs
Return to microwave, cook on "High" for 2 mins fresh, 1.30secs if frozen.
(Recipe courtesy of Good Housekeeping's Gourmet microwave Cookery)
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Bottling things like nectarines is probably better than freezing them. They never last long enough in our house to warrant any preserving. My son uses his excess cabbage in sauerkraut but that is definitely not to everyone's taste!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TheCrone
An excellent (and quick) recipe for cabbage wedges, frozen or not:
4 cabbage wedges ( total weight abt. 12 oz.)
1 tablesp. dry white wine or dry cider
1 oz. butter
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 level teasp. fennel seeds (or carraway)
salt
pepper

Put cabbage, wine, butter stock and seeds in microwave-proof casserole dish.
Cook on "High" for 2 mins.
Remove from microwave and turn wedges, using tongs
Return to microwave, cook on "High" for 2 mins fresh, 1.30secs if frozen.
(Recipe courtesy of Good Housekeeping's Gourmet microwave Cookery)
I'm going to try this recipe tonight, although it will be different as I don't have the right spice. It'll have to be either curry powder or herbs. Now I have to put jeans on and tuck into socks to brave the voracious miniature wildlife in the vegie patch.

Thanks for the recipe!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ridds
The short answer is yes. The more detailed answer is -

Make sure you harvest when they are firm (ie you can't really press the head or sides in) and not overripe. Also, if you leave the outer leaves on the plant when you cut the cabbage for harvest, you may find new buds will form there and you can pick these small cabbages when they are firm.

Cabbage can be stored in the refrigerator for at least a week if it's tightly wrapped. Before storing, trim the heads of loose leaves and try to ensure the leaves are dirt / blemish free.

You can also freeze cabbage in thin wedges / shredded - it won't be any good for salads, but it is fine for cooking in soups etc. Trim the coarse outer leaves from head and cut cabbage into wedges or shred coarsely. Blanch in boiling water (wedges for 2-3 minutes, shreded for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes) remove and plunge into ice cold water. Drain well and pack into containers, leaving a about 2 centimetres / 1/2-inch room at the top. if you are putting into freezer bags rather than tupperware or something similar, make sure you extract as much air as possible from the bag before freezing.

I have heard of people freezing cabbage without blanching, but haven't tried it myself. If you did this i don't think you can then use the cabbage in stews, casseroles etc. Might be worth giving it a go with just one cabbage to see how it turns out.

I've not stored it for longer than a few weeks but would imagine you can probably freeze for up to 6 months.

Good luck!
Hi Ridds, thanks for all the tips.

My cabbage stalks left in the ground with the outer leaves have indeed grown lots of little sproutlets. They haven't filled out yet but it's nice to get the secondary crop. The caterpillers haven't discovered them yet.

I'm off to harvest some old ones now, and will blanche and freeze.

Thanks again,
Q