Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pushing out the wannbe Kiwis

Pushing out the wannbe Kiwis

Old Aug 22nd 2004, 2:52 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough
Default Pushing out the wannbe Kiwis

The number of New Zealand posts on this forum have been getting less and less and frankly I think it is a shame as it is supposed to be a virtual meeting place for those wanting to go to Australia AND NZ.

Why is it that any new wannbe Kiwis are immediately rubbished for wanting to go to NZ? (by people heading to OZ - what business is it of theirs anyway unless they once considered NZ and have some valid input into a debate about whether to go or not).

Most wannabe kiwis are directed to or end up at the ***** forum, which isn't such a good forum, IMHO. A lot of the Kiwi regulars on here have gone over there as well - for example Sky and DeeDee (who I haven't seen post on here for ages until today).

I know that the relative numbers of those heading to OZ on those to NZ are greatly different, but there does seem to be a push from certain Aussie quarters to keep us Kiwis out - why take that attitude?

Come on you BE kiwis, let's get the NZ post count up and make the Aussies battle for thread space!
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 3:02 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pushing out the wannbe Kiwis

Just curious as to why you think the other site isnt as good. Genuine question.
Cheers
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 3:11 am
Kiwified member

Originally Posted by scottish
Just curious as to why you think the other site isnt as good. Genuine question.
Cheers
Mostly because I find it really S_L_O_W compared to this one - both in terms of the speed of the site and also in getting a response to any queries.

It is also quite 'topic' specific and a bit serious - there isn't the fun and frivolity you find here (IMHO).

Of course, because I prefer this one, I tend to spend my time here and if I spent more time on ***** I might like it more but I don't, so I don't (if you see what I mean! )
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 3:25 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

the problem with this site is no matter who or what the converstation/question regarding NZ you get more responses from Aussies or Pommes in Aussie or Pommes back in UK saying how crap NZ is.
It is really tyresome, most comments are totally unfounded and offer no genuine insight into NZ life, country or its people.

Just today i read on here, most kiwis have moved to Aus, and i think NZ is bad because one single thing happened to me there.....<yawn>Its just an utter waste of time.I'm not into defending NZ, its more about what suits the individual but hey, unbalanced comments are of no use to anyone, moving there or moving back.This site is just a method of venting one's splene for all those people ##ssed off with something in their lives.If they spent as much time and effort on their own lives instead of just shooting everything about NZ down maybe they'd be better off.

most of the time at least ***** gives information thats useful,slow or not.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 4:04 am
Kiwified member

Originally Posted by deedee
the problem with this site is no matter who or what the converstation/question regarding NZ you get more responses from Aussies or Pommes in Aussie or Pommes back in UK saying how crap NZ is.
It is really tyresome, most comments are totally unfounded and offer no genuine insight into NZ life, country or its people.

Just today i read on here, most kiwis have moved to Aus, and i think NZ is bad because one single thing happened to me there.....<yawn>Its just an utter waste of time.I'm not into defending NZ, its more about what suits the individual but hey, unbalanced comments are of no use to anyone, moving there or moving back.This site is just a method of venting one's splene for all those people ##ssed off with something in their lives.If they spent as much time and effort on their own lives instead of just shooting everything about NZ down maybe they'd be better off.

Couldn't agree more, DeeDee (including the last line!).

Are you on your own farm yet?
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 4:20 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

Originally Posted by Pollster
Couldn't agree more, DeeDee (including the last line!).

Are you on your own farm yet?
We still have our own farm(people keep trying to buy it mind ) and live between it and the lifestyle place we have in Gore.At the moment though the land is leased out to another farmer as we've a few other interests around Otago.No rush, too busy enjoying NZ to plan ahead.
What about yourselves?
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 4:28 am
Kiwified member

We still have our own farm(people keep trying to buy it mind ) and live between it and the lifestyle place we have in Gore.At the moment though the land is leased out to another farmer as we've a few other interests around Otago.No rush, too busy enjoying NZ to plan ahead.
What about yourselves?
Currently in the process of selling our flat in London to finance a new home and possibly a business in the future here in Taranaki.

Planning a trip down to the Otago neck of the woods in the not so distant future to do some wildlife spotting - it is about the only area of NZ I haven't done a tiki tour of yet so looking forward to it.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 5:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollster
Currently in the process of selling our flat in London to finance a new home and possibly a business in the future here in Taranaki.

Planning a trip down to the Otago neck of the woods in the not so distant future to do some wildlife spotting - it is about the only area of NZ I haven't done a tiki tour of yet so looking forward to it.
I always like reading the Kiwi posts, as it gives an insight into "the other down-under"! I worked with 2 Kiwis in my last job, and loved the stuff they told me about the scenery and how spectacular it is. No rose-tinted spec,s I have no intention of moving, but i like to read about and compare the lifestyles. One day I'll come and visit - might look you up Poll!!!
When I first used this site there were an awful lot more NZ posts, its a shame they've declined so much.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

But, you've got an uphill battle. About 25% of people born in NZ live overseas; mainly because of work. NZ may be a beautiful country, but you've still got to live.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 6:51 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
But, you've got an uphill battle. About 25% of people born in NZ live overseas; mainly because of work. NZ may be a beautiful country, but you've still got to live.
I rest my case.I had a bet that you would post some typical comment and i won
I do live here, i do love it, it is beautiful(we agree) i have had something to compare it to having lived in Englands South, North , Scotland , France.We've made more money here than in the UK,(seen as money is the main topic of why NZ is so dire a place to live )And unless its invaded by some other country i wouldn't even consider moving anywhere else.Maybe i'm in a different New Zealand to the one all the Aussie expats on here know of because i meet lots and lots of great satisfied Kiwis every week.
Theres a large amount of British people living all over the world, that doesn't mean the UK a terrible place(even though my own opinion formed feels it is )

If people can point me out some negatives of living here that come to affect my life i'm all ears?Just because it doesn't suit everyone does not mean it doesn't suit anyone
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

New Zealand is a brilliant place. It is suiting me, hubby and 3 kids very well. We live on one modest income, 2 cars, 4 bedroom house (with mortgage), and we manage to live quite well on it. My only complaint is that I'm not a kiwi - it's the only thing that complicates our life, the fact that I still get homesick sometimes and have friends and family on the other side of the world. I often wish I'd been born here so that we could just get on and enjoy NZ without that hanging over us!!! I love it here, I'd much rather have less money and live in this beautiful country, than earn more in the UK so I can eat out more, and spend lots on childrens entertainment (as opposed to enjoying the beaches, rivers and mountains), and have 2 foreign holidays each year. But that's just me. And yes, I enjoy reading *****.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

I rest my case.I had a bet that you would post some typical comment and i won
A bit oversensitive are we? What I posted is fact.

In London, in my team of 8, 2 are Kiwis. One has been in UK for 4 years, the other for 20 years. And neither has any intention of returning. Their comments are very similar : in NZ, wages are relatively low and it's too quiet. Of course, some people like that sort of lifestyle. But, compared with Oz, it will be a big readjustment for many Brits.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 8:19 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
A bit oversensitive are we? What I posted is fact.

In London, in my team of 8, 2 are Kiwis. One has been in UK for 4 years, the other for 20 years. And neither has any intention of returning. Their comments are very similar : in NZ, wages are relatively low and it's too quiet. Of course, some people like that sort of lifestyle. But, compared with Oz, it will be a big readjustment for many Brits.
Not oversensitive, i just found it amusing that your name cropped up before i posted my last comments.Your rather predictable with your posts

As for NZ wages been low,if you don't have the forthought and open eyes to see the many oppertunities available in NZ then there is only one person to blame.Coming from the UK's ruthless market where so many ideas have been tried and milked,to come to NZ is such a refreshing change.Its a land of oppertunity indeed.Its possible to trip over new ideas here, its the people who try to make what works in the UK work here that often have hard times.Think like a Kiwi,but use what we were brought up with,experience's from the UK.
If your happy working for someone in 9-5 then thats your choice,here,the UK or Aus, but don't expect more than the rewards a 9-5 job might and in most cases will not bring.NZ is a brilliant place for good ideas, different ideas, getting stuck in doing it.

There's an awful lot of monies floating around in NZ at present if that what makes your motor hum

Last edited by deedee; Aug 22nd 2004 at 8:23 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 8:21 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Best way to make money in NZ for Joe Simple is through property/ property development. IMHO.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 8:25 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

Originally Posted by Don
Best way to make money in NZ for Joe Simple is through property/ property development. IMHO.

I'd have to get up pretty early in a morning to catch you out Don
It is indeed, like a licence make land.
Money gets printed every day, they're not making any more dirt.

Having said that, i know at least a dozen multi millionaires and none of them are into property development.

Last edited by deedee; Aug 22nd 2004 at 8:27 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.