Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Purely hyperthetical question about winning Oz Lotto on Temp Visa

Purely hyperthetical question about winning Oz Lotto on Temp Visa

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:30 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Purely hyperthetical question about winning Oz Lotto on Temp Visa

Ok, so all your numbers come up and you have won the Jackpot amount, say $20 million. As a Temp Visa holder, say a 457 4yr Visa, what are your options for;

A. Keeping the money?
B. Taking it back with you (whats left!!) to UK at end of your Temp Visa period?
C. Getting a perm visa to spend the bloody thing if B is not viable?

I am of course in La La land to think I could win $20 million but it never hurts to dream!!
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Purely hyperthetical question about winning Oz Lotto on Temp Visa

A. Legal, as long as there is no clause allowing the lottery company to deny payment to non citizens/PRs.

B. No currency control, so you can take it all back if you wish.

Does Australia treat gambling winnings as taxable income? Some countries do, if so, you'd have to pay income tax on it.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:56 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
A. Legal, as long as there is no clause allowing the lottery company to deny payment to non citizens/PRs.

B. No currency control, so you can take it all back if you wish.

Does Australia treat gambling winnings as taxable income? Some countries do, if so, you'd have to pay income tax on it.
Sounds reasonable...in that case put me down for 4 lines tonight!!
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Prolly completely wrong but I thought there WAS a clause to say non PR could not win it.....could be wrong though....
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by plantpot
Prolly completely wrong but I thought there WAS a clause to say non PR could not win it.....could be wrong though....
If there is, I can fix it up for Paddy, he just gives me the ticket, I have PR

I can also very quickly test taking the winnings out of the country, for him ...

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If there is, I can fix it up for Paddy, he just gives me the ticket, I have PR

I can also very quickly test taking the winnings out of the country, for him ...
He's all heart that ABCDiamond . . .
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Copied from the Lotto website

Must I be an Australian resident to play?

No, you don't have to be an Australian resident to play lotto in Ozlotteries.com. All games are held in Australia by Ozlotteries.com who can purchase games and make claims on behalf of its members. Every game purchased through Ozlotteries.com is automatically registered in your name so any prize you win is fully guaranteed.

and

Do I pay tax on my winnings?

No tax is levied on winnings in Australia. However, it is the client's responsibility to abide by any relevant tax laws in their jurisdiction.

and

Please note: If you require funds to be transferred to a bank account outside of Australia, the minimum amount that can be transferred is AUD $100.

Hope that answers your questions.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:19 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

No, you don't have to be an Australian resident to play lotto in Ozlotteries.com. All games are held in Australia by Ozlotteries.com who can purchase games and make claims on behalf of its members. Every game purchased through Ozlotteries.com is automatically registered in your name so any prize you win is fully guaranteed.

and

No tax is levied on winnings in Australia. However, it is the client's responsibility to abide by any relevant tax laws in their jurisdiction.

and

Please note: If you require funds to be transferred to a bank account outside of Australia, the minimum amount that can be transferred is AUD $100.

Cheers funnypenny, excellent info!!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:19 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Brilliant! I've been putting off buying tickets as I thought I wouldn't get the money if I won!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:39 am
ABCDiamond

and

and

That spoilt my plans

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 8:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That spoilt my plans
You didn't seriously think he would pass the money to you did you? How naive can one person be
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:43 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't seriously think he would pass the money to you did you? How naive can one person be
Ask a nigerian
Old Oct 24th 2009, 2:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

For example, a US citizen or green card holder living in Australia might have to pay US federal income tax on winnings (even if also an Australian citizen).
Old Oct 24th 2009, 2:40 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

and

and

Sorry to contradict the all knowing MP but the website you have quoted is not an official lotto company ozLotteries.com are just RESELLERS and any info on their site should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Each state has its own operator of national Lotto games (Oz Lotto, Powerball & Sat Gold Lotto) and I would strongly urge anyone who wants to buy tickets online to only use the official site of your state (which is governed by the state lotto regulator). I have heard of many resellers taking money and not producing the goods.
Of course the easiest way of buying a ticket is in your friendly local newsagency!!
Old Oct 24th 2009, 2:46 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.goldencasket.com/lotto_re...to_results.asp

Here is a link to all state operators.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.