Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Purchase in UK or Oz?

Purchase in UK or Oz?

Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of
Question Purchase in UK or Oz?

Are there any items that are cheaper in the UK that you would recommend buying before coming to Oz?
Eg. we need a new washing machine. Do we wait till we get to Oz & buy there or get one before we come?
We haven't got to pay for shipping as OH's employers are paying relocation fees
Leigh
Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Purchase in UK or Oz?

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
Are there any items that are cheaper in the UK that you would recommend buying before coming to Oz?
Eg. we need a new washing machine. Do we wait till we get to Oz & buy there or get one before we come?
Leigh
Buy a front loading washing machine in the UK.
Books are generally cheaper in the UK.

Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Leigh
You can get front loaders in Australia, there just isn't the same choice as in UK. Also they seem to be more expensive in Australia. The only problem with buying one in the UK is that it will take weeks to arrive in Australia so you will be without a washing machine for a few weeks when you first arrive. I'd say buy one in Australia as soon as you arrive. I've not been too impressed however with the performance of ours which we bought in Australia and I wonder if its because its been designed to use less water due to Australian regulations.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by migrantoz
You can get front loaders in Australia, there just isn't the same choice as in UK. Also they seem to be more expensive in Australia. The only problem with buying one in the UK is that it will take weeks to arrive in Australia so you will be without a washing machine for a few weeks when you first arrive. I'd say buy one in Australia as soon as you arrive. I've not been too impressed however with the performance of ours which we bought in Australia and I wonder if its because its been designed to use less water due to Australian regulations.
Just wondering what the preference is for front loaders? We have a top loader since we've arrived in the US and I love it. Is there a reason they're not as well regarded?
Old Apr 16th 2006, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
Just wondering what the preference is for front loaders? We have a top loader since we've arrived in the US and I love it. Is there a reason they're not as well regarded?
A few posters have said that they do not wash as well as a front loader and leave little bobbly bits on everthing, we will buy a new one and ship it over, and just buy a cheapie one to put us on till the other arrives and then use the cheapie one as a spare. Lol
Old Apr 16th 2006, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith&Lol
A few posters have said that they do not wash as well as a front loader and leave little bobbly bits on everthing, we will buy a new one and ship it over, and just buy a cheapie one to put us on till the other arrives and then use the cheapie one as a spare. Lol
aha, thanks for clarifying! My only prob was working out how to work the damn thing, once I sussed getting the liquid in at the right time it was all fine n dandy!
Old Apr 16th 2006, 10:28 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Purchase in UK or Oz?

Originally Posted by migrantoz
I've not been too impressed however with the performance of ours which we bought in Australia and I wonder if its because its been designed to use less water due to Australian regulations.
Australia has no regulations regarding the amount of water used by whitegoods of any sort, so your washing machine will not have been designed to meet any conditions unique to Australia. It will perform just as it was intended to perform, according to the manufacturer's own specifications.

You may be interested to learn that front loaders are actually designed to use less water than top loaders, which is precisely why they have become increasingly popular with Australians.

I had an Ariston when I lived in Perth, and it was fantastic; performance was absolutely superb, and it never gave me any trouble.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

If goods are less than 1yr old doesn't one have to pay import duties on them?

Leigh
Old Apr 16th 2006, 11:09 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Our local council gives a rebate if you buy a specifically categorized front loader as they use far less water than a top loader. There are two classifications (H4 & H5) I think and each has a different rebate. If you need a new machine and buy it in the UK you won't have this classification. Might be worth waiting 'till you get here and check out the water management policy where you are.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We have just bought a new front loader as we had a cheap top loader and it was useless. We have only paid $699 for this one but it washes fine. Not sure how much washers are in UK now to compare.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 11:54 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think it comes down to what you are used to. We obviously had a front loader in England but we bought a top loader when we moved to Australia.

I hate front loaders - you cannot fit as much into them as the top loader we used to have. Mind you, we did have an industrial sized one. Speedqueen was the brand! I could wash a king sized duvet in it. There is no way, I'd get that into any front loader, I have owned.

Front loaders are becoming more and more popular in Australia though

But, different strokes for different folks
Old Apr 17th 2006, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Dyson vaccum cleaners are more expensive here. A standard yellow upright is about $599 on a good day which is about £240.

Jo
Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

kulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Luma
If goods are less than 1yr old doesn't one have to pay import duties on them?
Only if you tell them
Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Our washing machine from England broke down after 3 months so we purchased a new one in Oz and it's not as good. When walking around Harvey Norman it seemed all the washing machines were only 600 spin as apposed to our 1200 one. So it tends to take a little bit longer as we are putting it on spin more to try to help the items dry out quicker. The chap said because it's a hot country thats all you need as everyone puts the washing out side to dry, but they say anything to make a sale. We agree with joho Dysons are more here. We were told that if you have a plasma tv then you should be aware that the tv channels here have their logo's in the corner of the screen and it can burn into that section of the plasma.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

We bought an LG front load 1400rpm 7kg washer dryer with a 6 years extended warranty when we got here for about $1000. The big worry about buying anything in the UK is if it goes wrong then the warranty is useless here. We were quite amazed that the extended warranty was only $99 as in the UK an extended warranty for 5 years on a washer dryer generally costs about the same as the machine as it is so likely to go wrong within that time.

Books however are one thing I've noticed seem a lot more expensive here and you don't get any warranty risks with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.