Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Public Holiday Time Speed Trap TIme

Public Holiday Time Speed Trap TIme

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:44 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Public Holiday Time Speed Trap TIme

Now that double demerits for the labor day pulic holiday is in place police speed traps are everywhere. I passed 3 this morning (all westbound). 1 outside Sydney Uni, One 1 k before the M4 and another on the M4 before the Silverwater Exit.

Normally they are announced on the radio here but all of these were missed.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:11 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Public Holiday Time Speed Trap TIme

Originally posted by bondipom
Now that double demerits for the labor day pulic holiday is in place police speed traps are everywhere. I passed 3 this morning (all westbound). 1 outside Sydney Uni, One 1 k before the M4 and another on the M4 before the Silverwater Exit.

Normally they are announced on the radio here but all of these were missed.
On a similar vein....

In the 8 months i spent driving around oz, i was breath tested 14 times, somtimes in the middle of nowhere?

In 7 years of driving here, i've not been tested once.

I saw far more speed traps than i have done here (manned ones) but we do seem to have more cameras.

Does this mean.....

Aussies drink drive more?
Aussie police have nowt to do?
Aussie police work the roads more than ours?

On the upside, we definatly noticed less people speeding over there, which is good. I don't care what people say about" people speeding does'nt cause accidents, the driver doing somthing stupide does". If theres an accident there is less damage if it happens at 100ks than if its at 150ks.

Is drink driving a problem over there?

(the wife is adamant that its not......)
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:16 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Public Holiday Time Speed Trap TIme

Originally posted by PeteY
On a similar vein....

In the 8 months i spent driving around oz, i was breath tested 14 times, somtimes in the middle of nowhere?

In 7 years of driving here, i've not been tested once.

I saw far more speed traps than i have done here (manned ones) but we do seem to have more cameras.

Does this mean.....

Aussies drink drive more?
Aussie police have nowt to do?
Aussie police work the roads more than ours?

On the upside, we definatly noticed less people speeding over there, which is good. I don't care what people say about" people speeding does'nt cause accidents, the driver doing somthing stupide does". If theres an accident there is less damage if it happens at 100ks than if its at 150ks.

Is drink driving a problem over there?

(the wife is adamant that its not......)
Less public tolerance of drink driving in Aus? '60's '70's, 80's there was much acrimonious debate about it; the anti-drink-driving side won hands down.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:39 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

There was a v. nasty crash yesterday on Anzac Bridge in Sydney, guy went through speed camera, police pursued, he crashed (four vehicles?) and was killed. Very unpleasant.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Watch roadworks areas here even on public holidays Sundays etc. Even if absolutely nothing is going on, and nothing lying around the cops wait in those areas. I was going through one at 60 but the roadworks sign said 40. Cops really nasty, I politely pointed out nothing was happening, no holes in road no workers nothing! he asked me if I wanted to challenge!! him (to a duel I presume). Anyway I got let off but had to rock up at cop shop next day with every bit of paper you can imagine.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

It was double demerits last weekend in Perth, my nephew got $150 fine being caught driving from his house to my brothers (literally 300 metres - lazy git) without a seatbelt.

He wasn't a popular chappy with his wife!