Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PSS What a NIGHTMARE!!!

PSS What a NIGHTMARE!!!

Old Sep 29th 2004, 1:32 pm
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: PSS What a NIGHTMARE!!!

Originally Posted by sjn2003
He's a busy boy! - sounds like the same guy who came and quoted for us last week. Mid 50's QLD Aussie semi-retired just doing this for a couple of years etc etc etc.

He did know his stuff but no more so than John Mason, Crown or Allied IMO and I got the feeling some of his answers were from his experiences in Oz and would not reflect the realities with PSS - ie he was a bit blase about cleaning certain items that others said we really had to be careful with.

Pickfords have still not sent a quote (over 2 wks since visit) so they can kiss it, and Britannia...don't even start me on them. Let's just say I wouldn't trust them to move a chair across the room let alone all my worldly goods to the other side of the world !!

When are you looking to go ??
Hi SJN

Yup, we definitely had the same fella. I agree he was bit too laid back for his own good but I guess we’ll just have to get used to that kind of character in QLD! ;-)

His advice to us on cleaning garden items was also very relaxed – it’s very hard to know whether the other shippers are overstating the need to clean in order to avoid trouble or whether he really has underestimated the problems. I’ll veer towards the cautious approach but my gut instinct is that he’s probably more right than wrong as having working in Brisbane in the moving business he must have come across loads of migrants who’ve just been through the quarantine process.

On the Pickfords quote – our quote only came through by email – check the email address you gave them as your quote might be waiting there.

We’re off to Brisbane in November – if the house sales exchanges in the next couple of weeks – gulp!

Cheers

G
Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

We too finally agreed on using PSS to make the move over here, and had no problems at all. Everything went very smoothly. Put our minds at rest on things that we thought we weren't going to beable to bring.
The packers were fantastic. Great to have around for 2 days, hard working, and absolutely brilliant at packing everything.
Everything went on the container perfectly and arrived early in Freemantle.
It was all delivered here fine. Put where we wanted it.
Bags left for rubbish and just had to ring to ask them to pick it up.

I recommend PSS, and feel that you have just had one miserable old git that can spoil a good companies reputation.

Whisky
Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GLR
His advice to us on cleaning garden items was also very relaxed – it’s very hard to know whether the other shippers are overstating the need to clean in order to avoid trouble or whether he really has underestimated the problems. I’ll veer towards the cautious approach but my gut instinct is that he’s probably more right than wrong as having working in Brisbane in the moving business he must have come across loads of migrants who’ve just been through the quarantine process.

G
I didn't bring garden stuff myself, but everyone who has posted about it has talked of cleaning VERY thoroughly, Jeyes Fluid and that kind of thing - shoes/boots too. Get it all clean, with no trace of mud. He may be harking back to pre-foot and mouth days when things were more relaxed, but now they are paranoid. If it doesn't look clean enough, they'll charge you to have it done here.
Do a search on jeyes Fluid - that might pick some up who've come over.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

We brought garden tools.
Washed them, disinfected them, and then painted them.
Spades, forks and even the wheelbarrow.
PSS advised us on that one.

Whisky
Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:21 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Barbara 2003]Hiya
Don't know if this is much use info wise....
We wittled our stuff down to 11 boxes and paid about £800, then $40 for customs, we had arranged to move to Perth, but changed our minds (as we are very fickle), and ended up in Queensland. No probs with the company, we visited the office in Perth, who were very nice and helpful, then phoned them when we wanted our stuff moved over, which was about 2 and half months later. The cost of storage and transfer from Perth to Queensland was about $440. I can't remember exactly how much it all cost, just a rough idea.
We were living in London and used excessbaggage.com who are affiliated with Grace international over here. The shipping from London to Perth took about 6 weeks. We found them very helpful and had no problems with their service. I remember worrying about who to use as it all seemed bad news on the forum, so just thought I'd mention a company who I thought were good.
Good luck!

Good info Barbara, think i might be able to get mine down to 10 boxes, so i have something to go on now.....i'll look into that.

laura
Old Sep 29th 2004, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GLR
Hi SJN

Yup, we definitely had the same fella. I agree he was bit too laid back for his own good but I guess we’ll just have to get used to that kind of character in QLD! ;-)

On the Pickfords quote – our quote only came through by email – check the email address you gave them as your quote might be waiting there.

We’re off to Brisbane in November – if the house sales exchanges in the next couple of weeks – gulp!

Cheers

G

Are you expecting to get your stuff before Xmas ?? They have all said slightly different things about the likelihood and which boat it will have to be on. Don't fancy waiting until February for Customs to work off those mince pies !!

We still haven't heard anything about our house sale - cutting it all a bit fine as still haven't booked flights, sorted Oz accom and we want to go 2nd week in November !!!

Will check e-mail for that lost quote - cheers for that
Old Sep 29th 2004, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Candice"n"Darren is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an update on the shipping situation. Crown Relocations have just left after being here for over an hour. They were VERY proffessional and provided a wealth of information and even gave us a huge pack with lists in. These include a check list for counting down over here then things to do before moving day, on moving day and when the shippers have gone. Also info on things to do when we get there and LOADS of websites for info in Adelaide as well as things needed to do when we arrive. they couldn't have been more helpful. he pulled no punches and fed no Bull**** as we were weary after yesterday so we were rather thorough with questions and scenarios

So it looks like they may have a customer (however need to see price first!!) but even if they are more expensive (depends how much more though) I would feel far happier paying that little bit extra for a good quality service. I have to say I am really pleased with what they offer.
Candice
Old Sep 30th 2004, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Thought I'd let you know that we moved over in March 2004 and ended up using PSS. We were down in Sussex and used the local office.
they were professional, and cheap! (Cheaper than everybody else by a considerable difference) This was for a 20 fiit container to Brisbane.
Maybe we were lucky, but we had no problems and no breakages.
Went end of Feb arrived in Brisbane mid April, got furniture delivered end April.

Was it a regional office problem?
Nick
Old Sep 30th 2004, 8:17 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sharpy67
Thought I'd let you know that we moved over in March 2004 and ended up using PSS. We were down in Sussex and used the local office.
they were professional, and cheap! (Cheaper than everybody else by a considerable difference) This was for a 20 fiit container to Brisbane.
Maybe we were lucky, but we had no problems and no breakages.
Went end of Feb arrived in Brisbane mid April, got furniture delivered end April.

Was it a regional office problem?
Nick
Sounds like it was a local problem, we are going to use them and are most impressed (So Far) and as you say the price is right along with the presentation etc

We have yet to here from anyone who has had major problems with them

PJ
Old Sep 30th 2004, 8:20 am
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sjn2003
Are you expecting to get your stuff before Xmas ?? They have all said slightly different things about the likelihood and which boat it will have to be on. Don't fancy waiting until February for Customs to work off those mince pies !!

We still haven't heard anything about our house sale - cutting it all a bit fine as still haven't booked flights, sorted Oz accom and we want to go 2nd week in November !!!

Will check e-mail for that lost quote - cheers for that
I had a useful call from someone at John Masons re the chances of getting our container through by Xmas. The upshot is that it isn't going to happen... If we move last week in October then the next sailing is c. 5 Nov - that gets to Brisbane mid-Dec but the Customs and Quarantine people start to wind down around that time so the chance of getting through them and delivered before Xmas is pretty much nil. It seems that there's a window for "guaranteed" pre Xmas delivery that's open til around mid October for sailings and after that you're in the lap of the gods... :-(
Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As a rough guide.......Mine sailed mid November - docked in Brisbane at Xmas, stuff stuck in Customs till mid Feb.......
Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:10 am
Australia since 09/2001

Location: Chichester > Wellington 04/00 > Melbourne 09/01 > Perth 12/06
natmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nice

Just thought I'd add our experience in here:

We used John Mason (Croydon) back in 2000 to move us from the South of England to Wellington, NZ (originally going to Auckland but changed our mind 3 weeks before departure!). We found them absolutely superb. We used an affiliate of their's to move us on to Melbourne - also superb. Cannot recommend John Mason's enough. Unlike a lot of the big companies (and John Mason are a relative small company), they employ the guys they use to pack your stuff (albeit please note, these guys are paid to pack and not to think!). Many of the large companies get in sub contractor guys and as such, I wouldn't trust them as much with my personal stuff.

If we ever do make it to Perth (the latest on our hit-list), I'll be contacting John Mason to see if they can recommend anyone here in Australia to move us interstate.

Good luck everyone!
Old Sep 30th 2004, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

readytogo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Candice"n"Darren
OH MY GOD!!!

Have been getting quotes from shipping companys and was going to wait to tell you all what they were like when the last one comes tomorrow

HOWEVER PSS just been and the man was HORRID!!!

STORY!!!
He came early (good start!!) no introduction just said hello and walked in. he had 1 clipboard and nothing else. gave me and darren his card and said "thats me"!!! he then went on to each room asking what we were taking. we told him the same as the other 2 so far and he just ticked boxes. Asked him to take his shoes off before he went into lounge as we have new CREAM carpet but he said "sorry I cant take them off they are too tight I will not get them back on" then walked straight into room and said "its ok i will just stand here I can see everything from here" (which actually he couldn't and therefore missed off my guitar and stand and a cabimet full of Lladro ornaments) well I wasn't going to tell him that seen as he was so bloody rude. He then finished in the house and went into garage and upon finishing in there we thought he would come back into house for a discussion. OH NO he stood outside in rain and said "is there anything you want to know!!!" I said how long would it take (althought I had a rough idea) he said............. now wait for it...............these were his exact words "6 to 8 weeks and 2 days to pack thank you very much goodbye!!!" OMG no explanation of his company, what the do, what they provide nothing!!!!

Oh yes and the best bit this whole abismall meeting took 7 yes you read right 7 mins.

How unprofessional and rude and baltently put out he was I can safetly say that we will not no way what-so-ever be using this company (oh yes and to top it all he was really scruffily dressed and stunk!!! )

So that is my tale to tell!!!

Will update tomorrow when crown relocations has been and let you know how the rest have done

Candice

--------------------

Hi,

I think you had a dodgy guy !!, we had quotes from Pickfords, Crown and PSS and found PSS, by far, to be the best, from phoning them up for the original quote to arranging an inspection to have their quote assessed.

The guy who came out arrived on time, was very polite and professional, the first thing he did was tell us about his company, we spoke about the company they use in australia who will deliver to your new address, then about all the different services and types of container and whether or not to share.

After which he viewed all the items we were going to take, at the same time advised us of things not to take, for instance we had an old freezer with cfc's, we didn't realise, which we would have had problems with getting it into the country!.

He then finished off by saying the quote would be ready the a certain date, and hey presto it arrived through the letter box on that day!.

We were so impressed that they arrive tomorrow morning 9.00am to collect our things.......... and I'm at work while Jenny is busy cleaning and sorting into piles!!! still i'm sure there will be some left for me tonight !

in my own opinion PSS are thumbs up,

all the best David & Jenny

Removals 1st Oct
Fly 15th Nov
Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:27 pm
At last! We're here!!!

alison_g is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Candice"n"Darren]Cheers guys I did ring the York office and reported him and they told me someone would be in touch (wasn't holding my breath!!)

Hi Candice
Just thought I would let you know that we too had PSS and Pickfords... Pickfords came out and quoted and the guy didn't really know too much, he was pleasant well dressed and courteous,,,gave him the same list of stuff as PSS and he quoted 1420 cubic feet, said we would definitely need the 40foot container as 'We had so much stuff'.. I then became confused, surely with two experts I should get the same result, I asked Pickfords to come again and took loads of stuff off.......... guess what still 1420 cubic feet and STILL a 40 foot container, I never even bothered to phone their office and this was obviously wrong.
PSS then offered to come and do a home visit (prev.done via phone from Pickfords list!!) and a VERY nice man, Ray Parkin, ex director of Overseas Packers and Shippers in Oz, over here doing some consultancy work for PSS, he was fab, couldn't have had a nicer guy. He went round the house room by room, I kept asking him to take stuff off cos, I was desparate to get into the 20ftr!!! he said 'Nah leave it on, it'll go' anyway he put everything on and more.
We booked them up, the two packers arrived last Thurs, worked like trojans didn't even stop for lunch... packed it all up and more cos we found abit more space in the 20ft container... and off it went. Certainly proved to us that PSS know their stuff and Pickfords just wanted another two grand off us for the 40foot which would have left half empty and at greater risk of items moving in transit. (i'm waffling now???)
Also, nice ol Mr Parkin, noticed all our daughter trophies for dancing and he phoned the other night to give us details of a dance school near where we are going, then Denise, his wife emailed us loads of info. Not bad eh!
I'll shut up now....... I'm not easily impressed
Alison
Old Oct 1st 2004, 8:57 am
GLR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alison_g

PSS then offered to come and do a home visit (prev.done via phone from Pickfords list!!) and a VERY nice man, Ray Parkin, ex director of Overseas Packers and Shippers in Oz, over here doing some consultancy work for PSS, he was fab, couldn't have had a nicer guy. Alison
Alison

Ray Parkin is the same guy that SJN and I were talking about earlier in the thread. I'm pleased to hear that his friendliness wasn't just a front and that he's followed through with some nice personal touches like recommending the dance school.

Good luck with the move and please let us all know how you get on once the container is delivered in Oz.

Cheers

GLR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.