Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PSS - message received today

PSS - message received today

Old Mar 9th 2004, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PSS - PRICE INCREASE

Sorry about the length of this but it is important so please read it and let me know what you think.

I knew everything was going too smoothly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have had our removals booked with PSS for a few months now - certainly before Christmas.

The plan was they were to come next Tues morning, pack everything then the container arrives at lunchtime and off it goes.

Today I received a phone call saying they need to come Monday as well to start the packing as the shipping co (??who they mean) have shortened the amount of time the container can stay on premises and they do not want to be loading in the dark.

My first question was "will it cost us anymore?" she said no initially so I agreed and she assured me they will leave me the bed, kettle etc. However she then rang back a few minutes later and said the shipping costs have gone up on any shipping after 1st March, she went to great lengths to say this was not PSS putting up their prices but the shipping lanes (????) and will effect ALL international removal companies. I said "so really the quote is a complete waste of time - how can you put the cost up after a guote is given"

Then she said she could offer me a deal from the container company for an taller 20ft container. We already have a 20ft reefer container booked but she waffled on about it being a greater height so there would be more volume.

To be honest I was not in a position to discuss this fully at the time so will call them back tomorrow but has anyone else had any phone call/similar problems, specifically have any of you been told the price has gone up??

To be honest they have us over a barrel. I cannot re arrange the removals with another firm now as its less than a week but any suggestions will be greatly appeciated.

Many thanks
Shedu

Last edited by shedu; Mar 9th 2004 at 9:43 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Default PSS change of price

Sorry wanted to bump this to the top to see if anyone else has had a similar story????

Many thanks
Old Mar 9th 2004, 9:43 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PSS change of price

Originally posted by shedu
Sorry wanted to bump this to the top to see if anyone else has had a similar story????

Many thanks
I havent
Old Mar 9th 2004, 11:32 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PSS - PRICE INCREASE

Originally posted by shedu
Sorry about the length of this but it is important so please read it and let me know what you think.

I knew everything was going too smoothly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have had our removals booked with PSS for a few months now - certainly before Christmas.

The plan was they were to come next Tues morning, pack everything then the container arrives at lunchtime and off it goes.

Today I received a phone call saying they need to come Monday as well to start the packing as the shipping co (??who they mean) have shortened the amount of time the container can stay on premises and they do not want to be loading in the dark.

My first question was "will it cost us anymore?" she said no initially so I agreed and she assured me they will leave me the bed, kettle etc. However she then rang back a few minutes later and said the shipping costs have gone up on any shipping after 1st March, she went to great lengths to say this was not PSS putting up their prices but the shipping lanes (????) and will effect ALL international removal companies. I said "so really the quote is a complete waste of time - how can you put the cost up after a guote is given"

Then she said she could offer me a deal from the container company for an taller 20ft container. We already have a 20ft reefer container booked but she waffled on about it being a greater height so there would be more volume.

To be honest I was not in a position to discuss this fully at the time so will call them back tomorrow but has anyone else had any phone call/similar problems, specifically have any of you been told the price has gone up??

To be honest they have us over a barrel. I cannot re arrange the removals with another firm now as its less than a week but any suggestions will be greatly appeciated.

Many thanks
Shedu
Some companies can arrange removals at very short notice....I know when i asked Pickfords how much notice they required, they said they liked 14 days, but could arrange a very quick uplift if needs be.............try phoning a couple of places see what they say and how much they cost, before calling PSS. It might just put you in the position to barter a little ......Best of Luck
Old Mar 10th 2004, 1:21 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Speak with trading standards and see if they are allowed to do this.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 1:45 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Speak with trading standards and see if they are allowed to do this.
I think that there's a clause stating that shipping costs may increase. They cover their backs pretty well.

Jane
Old Mar 10th 2004, 1:48 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JaneandJim
I think that there's a clause stating that shipping costs may increase. They cover their backs pretty well.

Jane
True but does that clause stand up to consumer law. Might be a mute point when they have you over a barrel but worth looking at.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 2:28 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Hi we used PSS and the quote was given a few weeks before we actually took it up (due to the delay in the visa and sale of the house) When we accepted the quote they advised us of the up costs due to the shipping lines and also they now did not use the Mersk lines but P & O and this was quicket also. They still gave us a couple of weeks free storage in UK.

The men arrived in the morning (about 2 hours before the time given on the phone) they worked like stink and were very helpful. They worked from 8 am to 3pm without a break except for a coffee or two and then returned the following morning for the last bits and pieces - they arrived earlier again than they said - better traffic - and the container was due to arrive at 12 pm and would be on the premises for about 3 hours. (it arrived at 11 am) the driver said ok get on with it and went to sleep in his cab.

They finished the job perfectly and with no problems - like a jig saw puzzle to load everything in the container. We had the largest 20 ft one they offer and this was not a reefer so I guess it would be better to get the reefer the cost was the same we were told but they estimated us as a very tight load.

The only problems we had were the man we dealt wth going on holiday and not passing over our payment to their accounts department and we had problems with being able to confirm delivery at the australian end but all worked out in the end.

If they are using Kent removals in australia I would recommend them also. Very good and helpful men - they bring their own coffee!!!!! Good luck

Old Mar 10th 2004, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

cuthere is an unknown quantity at this point

is there such thing as a higher 20ft container ? - me thoughts they are standard sizes with standard measurements.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

HBgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey ...

We used PSS and all went fine for the most part, there were a couple of breakages but who is to say when that happened.

I do remember the Rep from Avalon telling me he had aranged a move to Canada in 48hrs when another firm left a client in the lurch ...so do phone round anything is possible. But i do remember there we quite a few variables in ther fine print.

HBxx

We had 'Chess Wilson' at this end and they were great!!
Old Mar 10th 2004, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks to you all,

I had a chat with them today and the shipping lane cost has risen by about £80!! Apparently they do this every year about this time.

The bigger/higher container would have cost more but she says we should fit everything in the 20ft reefer container so we are going ahead - to be honest I can't be bothered to ring around and try and get someone else at this stage as I still have so much else to do. PSS do seem to get guite highly recommended so I'll stick with them.

Thanks again