Reload this Page >

PS3 and XBOX 360 Gaming

PS3 and XBOX 360 Gaming

Old Jul 31st 2009, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road
Default PS3 and XBOX 360 Gaming

Hi all,

Now I know someone must know the answer to this as there are plenty on here who have shipped em across.

How do we go about gaming with our friends in England - like others I have online friends for PS3 and XBOX - what's the connection like for gaming - can we still see each other or is it a different set of servers all together and i'll have to find a whole new bunch of geeks to play with?

Cheers

James

Last edited by saxtonj; Jul 31st 2009 at 8:08 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Aug 1st 2009, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice
Default Re: PS3 and XBOX 360 Gaming

I have a 360 and Xbox live works exactly as it did in the U.K.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

josie jo has a brilliant futurejosie jo has a brilliant futurejosie jo has a brilliant futurejosie jo has a brilliant futurejosie jo has a brilliant futurejosie jo has a brilliant futurejosie jo has a brilliant future

Hi

My son is using his PS3 just as he did in the UK, playing online with all his mates back in the UK, all he did was plug it in

Jo x
Old Aug 1st 2009, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

why thank you for the replies.....that is good news.

Don't expect to be inside on it anywhere near as often but good to know all the same.

Old Aug 1st 2009, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

If they aren't new, personally I'd sell both, saves you taking them out here then having to swap the plugs out or use risky plus adapters. Then you'll have refreshed warranties, possibly more advanced systems (new 360 looks and costs the same, but has improved guts to prevent overheating, though it doesn't totally fix, it does run slightly cooler, quieter). If your 360 is more than 6 months old its only a matter of time before it packs in, though it will be fixed for free if under warranty, this could repeat in future and end up a hassle. I'd be surprised if PS3 slim wasn't released before Xmas, maybe as early as next month. I guess this will be same price as current and make current us$100 cheaper or so. Windows 7 will also be out by then which improves streaming media experience to the 360. Games are ~30% more expensive here.

For a laugh against friends, gaming to UK is generally fine. Gaming to UK depends on a few factors. A games netcode, type of gameplay and networking. You may encounter small errors but it may be possible to customize games networking to improve your experience, for instance, the location of where the game is played. Generally, it will be a very depleted experience, which you may think is unplayable OR may not even notice depending on how regular/serious you play and what your use too experiencing.

Last edited by The Flintstones; Aug 1st 2009 at 11:48 am.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 12:22 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I play often on my 360. I can play with everyone from all over the world no worries.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough

re 360 - Be warned that you cannot use an Oz credit card to keep you account live, and some of the UK content although shown on your UK marketplace (your gamertag will still reside in the UK) is not downloadable here as they check your ip to see if its in the UK. My marketplace shows loads of movies here but I cant dload them. And you cannot transfer your gamertag to Australia so if you want a proper oz account you will lose all your achievements.. If you just want to play games your grand..
Old Aug 1st 2009, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
If they aren't new, personally I'd sell both, saves you taking them out here then having to swap the plugs out or use risky plus adapters. Then you'll have refreshed warranties, possibly more advanced systems (new 360 looks and costs the same, but has improved guts to prevent overheating, though it doesn't totally fix, it does run slightly cooler, quieter). If your 360 is more than 6 months old its only a matter of time before it packs in, though it will be fixed for free if under warranty, this could repeat in future and end up a hassle. I'd be surprised if PS3 slim wasn't released before Xmas, maybe as early as next month. I guess this will be same price as current and make current us$100 cheaper or so. Windows 7 will also be out by then which improves streaming media experience to the 360. Games are ~30% more expensive here.

For a laugh against friends, gaming to UK is generally fine. Gaming to UK depends on a few factors. A games netcode, type of gameplay and networking. You may encounter small errors but it may be possible to customize games networking to improve your experience, for instance, the location of where the game is played. Generally, it will be a very depleted experience, which you may think is unplayable OR may not even notice depending on how regular/serious you play and what your use too experiencing.
OMG how difficult to change the plug, sell it quick!

What sort of sense is it to sell your console for peanuts and buy another one??

Yes games here are more expensive so just buy them from the U.K as I generally do(unless you find a good offer here), and the postage is usually a pound added onto the price.

I already stream media from my computer to my Xbox without any problems whatsover.

I will stress again it works EXACTLY as it did in the U.K. When my Xbox live expired I bought a new code online and it started up again immediately.

I haven't tried to download movies but why would you want to? The films are 6 months old and cost as much as renting from Blockbuster.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all - i reckon i'll be ok then.

XBOX 360 is already there. Want to keep hold of my ps3 cus it's the 60gb version so plays all the ps2 stuff as well.

COD 6 - modern warfare 2 comes out in November - can't not play that one with my mates!
Old Aug 1st 2009, 9:39 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the online gaming works the same here as it does in the UK. No worries with the consoles being UK. However, as with any kind of gaming (PC, XBox360, PS3, etc) when playing between Australia-UK, or visa versa, you will have 350ms+ of latency to deal with.

While in the UK I played a PC online first-person shooter in an international team for seven years and found it next to impossible to play a serious games with guys from our Australian division

As an Australian now I would not even contemplate playing on a server outside of Oz. Any serious gamer wouldn't blink twice in selecting a local server due to the insane latency involved in routing the UDP packets to Europe. U.S. is still just about viable if the host is in on the West Coast (LA, San Fran, etc).

Latency is king in online games regardless of how much console games hides that stat from the player (common to find it in the score panel for online PC games). The good news is that most decent console games lock the player into local "regions". BF1943 on PS3 and XBox only seems to route the player here to Australian servers which is great as you can actually play the game without having to lead your targets by 8ft or deal with the "I shot the guy 50 times and he didn't die" symdrome.

COD5 World At War failed big time when they accidentally took out the regional matching in their netcode and we all ended up playing 90% of our games on UK, Euro or East Coast US servers. All they needed to do was put in an option to allow the player to select if they only wanted the server to return hosts in their region, but they didn't. Ruined the game for most of us.

Good luck with what your planning, but I doubt it will be anything as good as it was in the UK. Not least because of the latency and time difference. My advice is move on.

Al
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

COD6 gameplay will feel very laggy, yes I agree, best to move on.