Wikiposts

PS2, DVD'S etc.

Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:25 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV or not TV - that is the question

Originally posted by andrew63
Walla
I recently "won" a nice JVC 100Hz 32" flat screen telly.
I was unsure if it would work in oz (I am not there yet).
I emailed JVC and they said it WOULD work BUT to pick up Australian TV it would have to be connected to a video or cable and watch the channels through them. Basically, the frequencies built in to detect terrestial TV stations are different so one could not detect local TV stations.
Signals for video, cable and satellite are different altogether and will be picked up and channels through these will be fine.
I am no expert
These are the words from JVC
If in doubt, contact your TV manufacturer

Andrew

Chears Andrew

They are going with me now anyway, if they work they work if they don't they don't. Not costing any extra to ship as they fit in the container anyway.

And you won a telly, lucky man!!

Walla
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:29 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute
Default TVs May Work - Newer Sony anyway...

- TV - definitely NO. Although Oz uses PAL, it is slightly different and you can tune in the picture but not sound (I believe, but check previous threads on this topic)
Australia uses PAL B/G, in the UK we use PAL I. This means the audio is transmitted differently, hence picture and no sound.

However, if you have a newer TV you may be able to set it up to receive PAL B/G. I managed with the help of a very helpful techie man on the very useful Sony site here

Sony Forum

Interestingly, the user manual doesn't give any of this stuff, seems it's for technicians only as you can possibly bugger it up.

Someone else was talking about receiving some channels on their video but not others - this may be because the ones you can't receive are transmitted on VHF (I think they still use it around Queensland) whereas UK TVs and VCRs are set up to receive UHF only.

The man from PSS says they can build a special case for the TV for £75 - has anyone else done this? - John Mason's didn't offer any special packing for the TV but I suppose if you're going to the trouble of taking it you don't want to wait 2 months for a broken TV.